Vintage Electric 2wd - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #1

Total Props: 0
Vintage Electric 2wd

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
How would a Losi JRXPROSE compare with the current crop of 2wd buggies? I've been out of the hobby for a long time (since Quintrax Belleville for all you old guys!!) and have started to admire my mint PRO SE in the closet.

Obviously the changes in technology and batteries have really advanced and it appears the tires have really changed, mostly in response to racing surfaces.

All things being equal (driver, tires, motor and batteries) how would the PRO SE manage with the B4's and RB5 etc? Would the old car be laughed off the track or would the kids and adults alike flock to it like a Model T cruising down the street?
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Art Vandelay
RCC Senior Contributor

Some of the guys @ the local track have some pretty old cars running (RC10s).

I've got a vintage Optima and Ultima that I've been working on. While not competitive, I'd say that the biggest hurrdle may be parts and accessories that you'll find a need for due to wear-and-tear.

It might cost you a bit more, yet it may save you some frustration if you were to go and pick up a ready-to-race kit, and save the vintage for some fun on the workbench.

I've been trying to get my Ultima up to race ability for a LOONG time now and I've basically turned it in to 1/2 RC10B4 and 1/2 Ultima. It has been fun, but I'm not even done yet, and I think I'd have to take it very easy on old Bertha if it ever does get the chance to hit the track.
Art Vandelay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor

I may be selling my RC10B4 roller... I'm not 100% yet but that would be competitive for you.

Peterborough Monster R/C Club
"Practice does not make perfect, practice makes Permanent! Do it right or don't do it at all!"
Crafty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #4

I had an Ultima and later an Optima Mid Custom SE back in the day. Ultima was my first buggy(purchased at Aurora Hobbies - what a wonderland that was when I was 12 or 13!!). Even then it was a bit tricky to keep together - seemed the shock towers and the chassis kickplate/topplate were weak points - ofcourse it had nothing to do with my driving skills. Still like the look of that buggy! I was so proud when I got my first Novak T4 ESC mounted under the rollcage. Newcomers have no idea how the ESC revolutionized the hobby.

It seemed once I moved to the JRX2 (original 5 link, short wheelbase) the thing just wouldn't die. I remember my parents bought me 2 x JRX2 when they came out thinking that the second would be a parts donor but I hardly needed it. The LOSI was bulletproof except for the first batch of wheels. I always envied the RC10 guys because they were pretty exotic in the day, those gold shocks and adjustable diffs, but the always seemed to break and a reliable Kyosho would end up at the top.

You are likely right that buying a modern with available spares is the practical way to go. If I ever get the time I would love to load up on EBAY parts and partake in some vintage racing. Oh if I only still had my Yokomo YZ870C.....
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.