RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
A main hobbies experience

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey guys

im planning on heading to full throttle for the glorcs final and was in desperate need of some parts for my truggy. as usual i called around to local hobby shops in my area to inquire about the items i needed and nobody had any of the parts i was looking for.

reluctently i decided to go online and check out amainhobbies.com and found out they had everything i needed.

i phoned them yesterday around 2 in the afternoon and explained i needed these parts to run this weekend and they shipped them out right away and i got the package of parts delivered to my door before noon today

after hearing some of horror stories from other guys on the forum about being raped for duties and taxes buying stuff from the usa i figured id just bite the big one and pay but to my suprise i only had to pay pst and gst (14.42 )

i must say that a main hobbies has impressed the hell out of me and i will deifnately be ordering alot more parts from them in the future. to have parts i was in desperate need of shipped to my door in less than 24 hours ( all the way from california no less) has left me a with a big grin on my face.
thrash metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: John Summach

A Main is pretty good. You can do everything online too, no need to call.

When you get stuff from the States, always get an Air Shipment quote. The brokerage fees that people get raped on are only on ground shipments. The brokerage is usually included in Air shipments (so the extra $20-$30 for shipping air will end up getting to you faster while costing about the same as ground because you won't get dinged for brokerage fees).
Great Hobbies - Team Durango

"Almost Live Race Coverage": www.johnnyboy.ca

"Finding Your Dream Home":www.burlingtonliving.ca
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Nathan Stewart

Brokerage fees are only w/ UPS, not USPS (Unites States Postal Service).

This is due to an agreement through our governments i.e Canada Post.

To my knowledge, it does not have anything to do with the mode of shipment.
NS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Art Vandelay
RCC Senior Contributor

Air Shipments (expedited) are generally pre-cleared and therefore sail smoothly through Customs with little notice (unless the goods are high-value).

Ground shipments generally get caught in the snag of inspection and Customs clearance (application of duties and taxes, and processing fee).

Eventually all shipments will be subject to the same clearance procedures, (meaning you'll have to pay the same fees, duties and taxes).

First we have to get all of the Canadian Border Service agents through that pesky firearm training.

Johnnyboy is correct. Air service is normally the best way to proceed at the present time. Last shipment I received from the US included a 32$ CDN fee. I should've known better, and instead of paying the 32$ for a non-service fee, I could've paid 32$ for expedite and had the parts in 2 days instead of 2 weeks.
Art Vandelay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jeff F

Both are correct points... airshipments should not have fees and also USPS doesn't get fees if it is shipped from a person. Sometimes you might get them with a business name on the shippign but the last few times I did it I never got anything.

It's pretty hard to support your local hobby stores when they don't have what you need and can't support you isn't it.....
The Revolution is Coming...
Currently Racing:
Caster ZX1.5R Pro, EX1.5R Pro, SK10 Pro
Stuck to the dirt by VP Pro Tires
Stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor

i am with you guys a-main is great and the parts are usually in stock, i highly recommend them if the local hobby shop doesnt have the parts you need

Team Durango DNX408T E
Tekin 2250 T8
Spektrum DX3R PRO
imported_lstmuggy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ashton P

i am glad that amainhobbies has amazing feedback on the shipping aspect.i wasn't desprerate for parts so i chose the dirt cheap shipping method. $5.50 US.
tekno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.