MT2, maximize the T15, and the making of a Jato Killer - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
MT2, maximize the T15, and the making of a Jato Killer

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Basically what I'm going to try to do is find out what really is the top speed of the stock T15, I believe it has more potential than what people think.
When that is done, I'm going to try to turn it into a Jato Killer.

A little about myself, so I can bore everyone.
I've always been into modifying cars, its a great hobby although expensive, I was able to make my Eagle Talon do the 1/4 mile in 12.3s.
Now modifying cars is no longer an option, I'm starting a family, and money has other priorities.

A few months back I saw a couple of guys racing around in a parking lot with Nitro RC cars, I was very impressed at the speed, how they looked, everything about them made my mind work overtime. I rushed home and started doing some research and was amazed how much stuff for RC there is out there.
There is so much out there that a newbie like me does not know where to start, or what to pick.
Of all that's out there I decided to go with the HPI MT2 RTR, not sure if it was the best choice or not, as I have no experience with Nitro RC cars.
For what I've read it would make a good choice for a beginner.

That's how it all begun.

My goal, to modify the car one step at a time, post what speed I'm getting with stock settings and every other change after that.
This is just a hobby of mine, I will not be racing the car, I'm only trying to make it as fast as possible.

My first step is to see what speed I can make it go without upgrading the engine.
Unfortunately I was not able to test the speed of the truck with the stock 13T, after 10-12 tanks of gas the Clutch bell just came apart, and it had to be replaced, I made a deal with the Hobby Shop, and they gave me a 15T clutch for the savage for 1/2 price, vs giving me a replacement 13T for free, I though it was a good deal.

So, with a 15T clutch bell there is a tremendous amount of torque loss at low RPM, but top speed it's much faster no question about it.

Part - 1

A- After 1 gallon of nitro spent tuning the car with the 15T, I managed to get the car to a top speed of 43mph/68kmh

B- Added a Motor saver air filter, I did notice a little more pick up at the starting line, top speed of 44mph/70kmh

C- played around with the length of the exhaust, moving it closer to the header, I did lose a little torque on the low RPM, however when it reaches mid to high RPM, holy crap... the car feels like it has a turbo, it starts picking up speed fast, managed to get top speed of 46mph/73kmh

Of course after every mod was done some tuning was involved, I'm almost finished my second gallon, like any car is all about tuning, and I spend a lot of time doing it and writing a lot of numbers, notes, settings, I tried to keep the engine running at around 230-240F, I was so surprised that by moving the High Speed needle just by 1mm it makes a big difference.

My next mod will be porting the header, I will keep you posted.
Opinions, comments, are all welcome, as I can only benefit from it.
imported_Vinnie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor

Strange, I seem to be unable to PM you. Anyways, whereabouts do you do your speed runs and when? Let me know, I also have an MT2 (see my Avatar), with an OS18 CVR and TSAIS rear exhaust. I have never clocked it so perhaps we can drag race or compare notes? If you can keep up with me then you're on your way to building a Jato-killer . I usually bash around the Warden/Eglinton area in Scarborough.

Have you changed the stock tires? Putting onroad tires like the Proline Road Rage might help increase the speed slightly.
MONKEY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
Mr X
RCC Master Contributor
I am: sir rcalot

jato killer this and jato killer that but what if someone were to put the same engine in a jato. the jato would win because it has a 2 speed. sure you can change the engine and make your car go faster than a stock jato but with the same engine the jato will win due to its design and not the engine it has. but if you were to get a 2 speed then the jato still has the advantage of being 2wd and lighter with less friction. i have seen someone put a ntc3 rear gearbox and 2 speed into an AE gt, thats a race i would want to see.

i support your engine modding and would like to see how much more power and speed you can get out of it in the end but dont call it a jato killer.
Mr X is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice

I'm actually not to far from you, I live at Don Mills/Eglinton, I usually just go to a dead end street, where there is very little traffic and it's smoth pavement.

I do plan on purchasing a OS .18 TZ-TX, and a 2-speed tranny.

Before I do that I just want to see what the little T15 can do, When I'm satisfied with the results, and I think there is no more power on it,
the .18 will go in.

I'm just having fun, we'll see what I can come up with.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Andrew

If you can find a C-Vec pipe (Rare now and Discontinued...I have one)
That will give you the Top-End you need to squeeze those extra 2-3 MPH.

Shave weight. Strip out all non-integraded, non-essential components I.E Radio Tray, plastic housing and do 1/2 tank speed runs.

My tips to get you that much closer to your goal
My 3.3 Jato
RC Driver Magazine Showcase Beauty.
Tamiya M03M
Mini-T-C4 Team Bluegroove
Mugen MBX5T
Dufferin RC- New!
jatofan69 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
RCC Apprentice

Part - 2

A- Porting the header here is a pic, with results.
I ported the header to be as close as possible to the engine opening.
Unfortunately the results weren't as good as I thought they would be, wasn't able to increase the top speed, it stayed the same at 46mph
However, there was a slight increase in torque in the low RPM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice

A few more mods done to the MT2.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice

And a new exhaust.
Results will be posted soon.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
RCC Apprentice

WOW!!!!! Impressive results. Packaging for the Tsais Exhaust comes with everything you will require for the installation.
Installation was easy as it gets, pretty much plug and play. As Expected car runs like crap after installation, it took me approximately 3-4 tanks
to get the car tuned properly, there is an impressive increase in speed from mid to high RPM, you can actually see the car jolting forward once the mid RPM are reached. Once the top RPM are reached the engine is screaming. All I can say is that am impressed with the packaging, quality,
results of the Tsais exhaust.
Top speed of the car with the Tsais Exhaust is 48mph

Got a video showing it going 47mph, however on 2 different runs I got 48mph.
Here is the video:
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #10
RCC Noob

Sounds like your having fun getting the most out of it.

Convert it to brushless and you will be sure to pass any Jato.
jaimzer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.