LiPo vs LiMn - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
LiPo vs LiMn

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
While I was researching the options available for LiPo I noticed that most/all of the LiPo batteries I found can only be charged at 1C.

Then I noticed that the LiMn batteries (which can be charged with a LiPo charger) can be charged at 2C. This would reduce the time to chrage greatly.
MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
adam lancia
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Lancia

Not only is charge time reduced with those cells, they also have a video of them doing a puncture test with their cells vs LiPo and a video of a ZX5 doing a standing start back flip. Impressive stuff.
adam lancia is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Oh crap.... I hope Wally doesn't see this!!!!

PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: joe blow

i've been running these all season... i have two 5800 2s packs.... i got them last october to use on my revo which most of you have seen... after all that abuse they went into my zx5 and xxx4 for electric racing every weekend all winter long... at some races they even did double duty in the revo and xxx4... this was only possible because of the 2c chargine... i also have made an adapter for my balancer and charger so that i could charge them in series together while balanceing all 4 cells... 4s at 10amps!!! and if all that abuse wasn't enought they've spent the whole summer as my starter box batteries for my losi 8... i put them back into my xxx4 for sids last race and they still run like they did a year ago...

if you've ever seen them, they've got a piece of very thick lexan on top and bottom to protect the cells from damage which i think is a big plus... as a result they're thicker than a normal 6cell nimh so make sure they can fit in your application... i've used them in a xray fk05, losi xxx4 and kyosho lazer zx5 with little or no mods...
Abiye Birku
Tamiya TRF 801x | TRF 511x | TRF 201x
Abiye is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
Oh man, battery choices just got more confusing (for me at least!!)....

I've been thinking of making a wholesale jump away from NiMH to LiPo for next season and now I hear about these LiMn packs.

So now the questions start flying fast and furious:

Would a 5800 mAH capacity LiMn be enough for the "20 minute main" truck class proposed for Sid's?

Is it safe to assume any track allowing LiPo will also allow LiMn?

And thirdly (and this is for the RB5 guys) Do you think there enough room to fit the 5800 mAH (specifically the increased thickness and length) pack in the space available?

I think you would just have to run the battery strap retaining screws a little taller + figure out a way to retain the aft end of the strap: (thinking a nice little chunk of CF attached using the shock tower bolts for that).

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: m p

Earl specific to the RB5 which kind of goes with my other post. The RB5 comes with 2 battery hold down posts. The second set are a little bit higher so you can switch to those. If not I'm sure you'll invent something
Losi 22
Galaxy Hobby - Alexei Tuning
entilza is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
For Stadium Truck I've already figured that I can accomodate the extra height of the 5800 by dremelling out the notch (for the battery strap) in the rear shock tower on my T3.

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor

Some info on LiMn here,

From what Ive read LiPo and LiMn and basically the same except the slight change in chemistry makes the LiMn much more stable. The only company that uses them right now is Apogee (but I could be mistaken).
88wingnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
RCC Master Contributor

Hi Steve,
PM'd ya
Bdegan2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
RCC Apprentice

I have tested my packs up to 2c (10 amps) with great results. they are also stable down to 4volts.

These are the best performing batteries I have ever tested. they are already winning races. You cannot find a better value and performance than these.

Try them you'll see.
dgaumond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.