witch is better DF03 Vs DB01 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
witch is better DF03 Vs DB01

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am looking to buy a tamiya 4wd buggy but i don't know with would be the better buy. The DF03 is shaft driven and i have seen people racing it. The DB01 is one i've only just started to see on tamiyas web sit. Its also a 4wd buggy but is belt driven.

Hopefully i will be able to get out and race it this sume at sid's but first i what to know whatone of these cars would be best

Witch one is better, have more hop ups, eacier to repair quickly if i did start racing???

what would be the best electronics to put in it, batteries, moter even?
JizzLizz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor

Tamiya makes great products.
Belt drive cars require more maintenance due to the exposed belts/diffs. I'm not knocking them just making you aware.

P.S. I have a biased opinion since I drive a shaft drive car (and very seldom have to rebuild the diffs).
MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Steve D

Exactly what MGF said... solid advice.

Also keep in mind that the DF-03 has been out for some time so parts and after-market hop-ups are readily available. The DB-01 is brand new (although shares some parts with the 501x) so parts supply will be very limited at first. Just my 2 cents...
steve6sucks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
josh hyper7
RCC Contributor

"no brainer"

Yeah its a "no brainer" shaft drive is the way to go.I have had belt before they are ok inside or on a hard packed track but if you play in a parking lot you my spend alot of time picking stones out of your diff.I have a 2wd desert gator buggy,its discontinued know but i still have no problem getting parts and its a fun buggy.Rising Storm,Keen Hawk,Dark Impact,Avante they are all good buggies and are cheap.Fastcats in oakville offers offroad racing every other week,its alot of fun,if you can come you may see some of these buggies racing around there,go on a practice night.
josh hyper7 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor

one advantage belt has over shaft, with shaft you can get alot of torque steer because the center shafts rotate laterally, where with belt drive everything rotates front to back, so you dont get the torque steer,

if your running indoor I'd prefer belt, but outdoor shaft, reason being one for the sealed drive train, but also outdoor tracks tend to be alot bigger, so you dont notice the torque steer as much as on a tight indoor track,

you can learn to drive with the torque steer dont get me wrong, but it is there and its something to think about, I know running last winter with the BJ4 at the little niagara track, that was one thing I had to get used to at first, if you get the side to side balance really good it helps eliminate alot of the issue too,
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
RCC Apprentice

The DB01 belts look like they are enclose so i don't think you would be getting rocks stuck in its diff but then again all the pics i've seen aren't the clearest. i guess i need to see them both running before i pick one but plz keep posting what you think.
Bumpimg is a lie
JizzLizz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.