Old 12-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
brent-kyle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: kyle
Radio of choice:
kicx 106

Total Props: 0
Whats wrong with spektrum???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
alot of people have been saying that they do not like there spektrum, and some say they do, if you have 1 why or why dont you like it, would it be worth it to save and extra $100 and buy a used M11 off the site, let me know what u think

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
imported_wes
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Wes

I know compared to KO and Futaba's high response systems, the spektrum and pro setups still don't compare, that's why some people continue to use FM in certain onroad classes where high response is quite noticeable...
imported_wes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
endler
The real deal behind the wheel

Spektrum Pro

I have spektrum pro and I still dont really notice the diff between my non pro i had last year? I think its a myth. If you can feel the diff i believe you should be on guiness book of world records for the most keen scences. Im cheap but I like to have the best of the best but I aint stressing over a few nano seconds or whatever The facts do state that the new stuff (Faast and nomadio) is proven faster i believe but I run onroad too and you cant convince me!

TEAM DURANGO
TEAM GREAT HOBBIES
www.greathobbies.com
endler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
Dave Henry
Sprucewood Team Losi Racing - Team Captain

+1 rick

years ago i tried fut pcm, 13ms response time (supposed to be the slowest) against futaba fm,8ms (same as m8's etc) and futaba hrs,3-4ms,fastest at the time

i did the testing in a 1/12 car, 4cell on carpet and could not find a diffence, had a good chat with Josh Cyrul about this one day and he felt some systems had a different "feel/speed" , he said it was slight but he is an on road master......I always beat him at offroad races though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as far as spektrum goes, i had their 1st gen module/rx in my futaba 3pk and it worked great, I do suggest you rebind the reciever to the module/tx every now and then

we sell tonnes of dx3's at Pinnacle Hobby, I think we have only had one dx2 or 3 with a problem, we have had 1 nib dead rx and no problems with the modules, considerring how many we have sold, they have an excellent record

I personally switched to futaba's fasst 2.4ghz system last year and enjoyed another year with zero radio issues, and I have yet to rebind any of the fasst stuff
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
imported_gremlin_390
RCC Expert Contributor

i have 5 problems with my spektrum DX2 (new generation).
1.) 2 model memory ? i have 9 cars...
2.)the transmitter antenna seems brittle and im scared to break it because you cant buy just that alone.
3.)the reciever antenna is cracking at multiple points
4.)the range is not the best, it gets VERY sluggish 1/2 way across the go station parkinglot where my stocker 27mhz was faster untill 3/4 across the parkinglot where it lost signal.
5.)there is only 1 failsafe position but i have 1 car that has the throttle normal and one reversed.
...otherwise i like it. lol, may sound like spektrum is bad but i like it really. its cheap and its cool
imported_gremlin_390 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
Dave Henry

gremlin 390...

we have the tx antenna at Pinnacle Hobby

they however do not offer the rx antenna on its own
you could send it in to them, they will probably fix it n/c but it sounds like the rx ant has seen some abuse

try rebinding the rx to your tx, if you still have range issues your rx ant may be damadged

i think the failsafe is set for each model, it's position is based on where you have the throttle when you bind it, try rebinding with your throttle at idle and let us know if that works
Old 12-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

I think your talking about the actual spektrum radios right? if so, I personally have tried the original DX2 and DX3, and didn't really like them, they didn't feel very linear to me, more like the old mechanical speed controls for electric if youve ever used them, they only had like 3 or 4 positions, so you have neutral, 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, and full throttle or what ever, thats how the DX2 and 3 felt to me using them so it was harder to drive smooth, I dont know if the newer 2.0 versions are any better thgouh,

but I've been using the spektrum moduels in my 3PK since they first came out, and like the other guys have never had any issues with them, I've never even had to re-bind them or anything, and never had any range issues with them, I dont generally run in big open parking lots thgouh, but any tracks i've been to i've never had an issue,

if you plan on staying in the hobby for a long time, youd be much better off picking up a good used high end radio, because then you only need to buy once and never worry about it again,
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
Dave Henry

take a look at the dx3r when it comes out in january, its a pro level system and will work with your existing rx's
Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
Narly1
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin_390 View Post
3.)the reciever antenna is cracking at multiple points
4.)the range is not the best, it gets VERY sluggish 1/2 way across the go station parkinglot where my stocker 27mhz was faster untill 3/4 across the parkinglot where it lost signal.
To expand on what Dave said, I suspect the two "problems" above are related and I wouldn't be surprised if the receiver antenna is damaged (wire broken off inside the insulation).

Changing the antenna wire, although a delicate operation, is something that can be done by someone with VERY good soldering skills and the right iron.

I know because I had to replace one myself (cut it off at the same time as the servo tape I was trimming to the case bottom, LOL).

I do suggest for those replacing the antenna to use a small piece of component lead in place of the actual wire where it goes into the board. Then solder the wire to the stub of lead sticking up.

That way if you need to replace the antenna wire again you are not disturbing the board.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
straydog

I've bein using the DX3 in my 1/8 scale off road for 3 yrs. Had
it also in a LST originally when trying to run both classes.
I've had the tx antanna break at the pivot, non-issue 'cauce
it fits in my tx box in the glued ''up'' position. One of the
sr3000 rx died but i'll take the blame for pounding it so hard
as I learned about pancake landings. The other one had the
antenna literally Fall out of the case!? cant even see were it
was ever attached?! So by then the micro pro was out and it went
into the EB4S3 fitting Much better, totaly wrapped in 1/4'' foam.
I've heard over and over about the ''speed'' issuse's but not
sure I could tell the differance. I am interested in the dx3r when
it's available, my current stuff has taken me to two trophy win's
at http://rcracersedmonton.com/web/ it will depend on price comp'
straydog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in