How do we GROW this hobby ? ? ? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #41
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Gump View Post
Do you think such a venue could be found?

Maybe look into the Brampton Fairgrounds they have several buildings... I have been to an (non-RC) event there, it was in a heated building w/ concrete floor. They keep the parking lot plowed all winter as well. If they have an adjacent building with a dirt floor (livestock arena) you could race in the one building and pit/run the hobby show in the other....

Just an thought, no idea of the rental costs.

There is also a livestock arena up here on the Erin Fairgrounds that sits unused all winter.

It might be pretty primative though, no heat, washrooms or plowed parking lot.

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 AM   #42
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Great post Hank

Wow I love this thread, mainly because I think I can help. RC-TV has a commercial spot left on the show. I could donate it. If such an event were organized we could run a commercial to promote the event. To be effective it would need to be say May 24 2008. The last show airs May 10th.
:GRIN:Nicholas J Leach:GRIN:
imported_RC-TV is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #43
RCC Contributor

Venue for demo "what is rc"............

In response to GUMP,,,,here goes.................

A perfect venue is a large park, summer conditions, one that has a pond as well. It should be set up for demos to be run on an hourly basis to ensure folks have time to see items. I'm not talking a hobby show AND sale. Just a show. Have a touring car demo going on in the parking lot while the heli and 3d flight demo is running.

Next, a monster truck and buggy truggy demo while the boat pond is running nice quiet craft. Switch back and forth all day for a 2 day period like this.

Putting it in a building is USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one SEES it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We want/need the new users who don't know that RC has come a long in ease of use and durability.

AGAIN, and let me stress these points "park" nice and visable. NO SALES!!!!!!! Lets spend our time doing demo's and talking about the items and less time haggling with buyers (read into this hobbyshow)Sure hand out business cards and fliers to get the aftersales.

Yes, some shops would be into it, cause we would set it up as a community event and would get the area for free. They would just have to supply the staff, demo units and their time. (a precious commodity in this business)

Its always something I would love to see happen, and I can plant a bug in the ear of the town councellers in Newmarket to see if they bite.

Who knows?????????????
Currently running:

Team Associated RC8/Jammin .21
Tamiya 801xt
Tamiya Tamtech Porsche
Tamiya Tamtech Frog
Tamiya F350 Hilift
zoomroom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #44

i have often thought of the CNE...2 weeks with alot of people and they have that building with the sports and extreme bike stuff...what about an onroad inside and out the back door siding to it an offroad track with dirt (or put it inside) there is really too much empty space inside
if you could swing the attraction of it to the CNE you might get it for free, the problem is having activity on it for the whole 2 weeks! day and night...
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #45
RCC Apprentice
I am: AF
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 1

pressure people to play with us :P
aimfox is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #46
RCC Noob

Alright I didn't read everyone's response, just a few and this is an excellent thread. As an RC noob, my recommendation to get more people into RC world would be rental cars.

I know it's an issue but if a track had a small fleet of rental cars (about 6 using all the 27mhz frequencies, plus maybe a spare car or 2) it would probably get a lot more people interested. They would have to be slow and reliable to resist the punishment they would go through but a track could easily charge so much per 5-10min race ($5/race or $20/5). I've brought out a few people with me and they are too intimidated to even drive my car (for different reasons, some are afraid of breaking things, others get intimidated if they see a bunch of good drivers on the track). Rental cars would take away those worries and allow people just to enjoy racing rc cars.

That is how paintball hooks people as well. Usually a person gets dragged out a few times by a friend or a company outing and they use the rental a few times until they get to the point where they want something better. Then they buy something, upgrade it and then buy something better, etc, etc...

The other thing I wish was that there wasn't so many classes. Maybe it's the nature of the beast (rc in general) but it gets overwhelming to have so many options. I have a friend with a Truggy, another with a buggy, another with a 1/12th scale, another with a MT, etc... .
dryankem is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #47
Faroh of RCTV
RCC Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastcats View Post
i have often thought of the CNE...2 weeks with alot of people and they have that building with the sports and extreme bike stuff...what about an onroad inside and out the back door siding to it an offroad track with dirt (or put it inside) there is really too much empty space inside
if you could swing the attraction of it to the CNE you might get it for free, the problem is having activity on it for the whole 2 weeks! day and night...
I already looked in to that last year ,just as you mentioned it would have to take place for the full two weeks,may be the only way to make it happen is to get 4 to 6 different hobby shops and clubs and have different events happening through out the 2 weeks example , a mini race/a off road race / monster truck jump off /and even a heli demo,running different events every day at different time during the day ,like have a mini race endurance race from 11:00am to 1:00 then from 2:00 pm till 5:00pm have the monster truck jump off then from 6:00pm till 9:00pm have a extreme heli demo , adding different hobby shops let them sell product,and even add some of the sales will go a to local charity , it's not hard to do it this way it just has to be organized the right way, RCTV was down at the Skydome this summer prior to a ARGO'S game with John's Hobby's jumping monster trucks with ramps out side of gate 20 and we had a great turn out ,we even let a bunch of kid's try some off road buggys the kids loved it ,Roger and I where calling the play by play and people loved it,we also handed out business cards for John's Hobby's and #5 RC Raceway, we had nothing but positive feed back from everyone ,these are the type of events that the public needs to see to get people into the hobby of RC,so who ever wants to help out to set up a event where we can people into RC I'll be there giving all my support , but we have to all work together to bring RC to masses, I still bump into people that still don't even know that this hobby is around ,when I mention it to them they almost always answer OH THOSE TOYS AT RADIO SHACK and WALMART ,see what I mean the masses don't have a clue what RC is about,Cheers Nik RCTV
Faroh of RCTV is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.