cogging issue on a mamba max - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
cogging issue on a mamba max

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i was having issues at fastcats with my mamba like superfly was. when i was heading down the straightaway i would have no throttle at all for a short period of time. it was like a delay in throttle response.

i updated my esc with the new new firmware and tried my t4 on the track again. i adjusted the deadband as low as you can adjust it and i was still getting the same problem with my mamba.

i have the mamba 5700 motor and i was running a 2 cell lipo. and the lipos i was using were maxx amps, orion platinum and a peak racing so i was using top quality lipos but still was encountering this problem.

i decided to try using my 3 cell lipos and it instantly got rid of the dead throttle response . now that im using 3 cell lipos in my t4 i havent had anymore dead throttle glitching . its running perfect now.

so anyone running a 4600 or 5700 mamba who is having similar throttle delay issues try out a 3 cell lipo.
thrash metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
"F" Main

Thrash metal where did you say you bought that DX3R. Thanks.
Martin Petre
Mugen Seiki
Team Driver
Byron Fuels
Skycraft Hobbies
2005 + 2007 Sammy's S.S. 1/8 buggy champ
2007& 08 GLORCS MT Champion
2008 Southern Ontario indoor MT Champion
2009 Canadian Winter nats 3rd 1/8 Pro Buggy
mpetre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
RCC Contributor

he got it at big boys with cool toys
jumpingbean is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor

mamba's are real sensitive to low voltage...
c-low74 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor

check your low voltage cutoff settings
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

re low voltage settings

hey pipeous,

when i was running 2 cell lipos my voltage cutoff was set at 6 volts and now im running 3 cell lipo its at 9 volts.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

my spektrum dx3r

hey martin,

i bought my dx3r at big boys with cool toys. he gave it to me for 320 cash.

but way2fastcrz bought his at hobby home for 310 cash. both are good deals.

it lists on tower hobbies for 320 us plus taxes and shipping . so big boys gave me a sweet deal. ziggy355 bought one from big boys with cool toys when i got mine as well.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: joe blow

kevin... try resetting the radio to the esc... (holding full throttle and turning the mamba on... etc etc...)

chuck is right though... more than likely its your LVC kicking in... try turning it off for a few min on a fresh pack and see if it still happens...
Abiye Birku
Tamiya TRF 801x | TRF 511x | TRF 201x
Abiye is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: David Mandl

Like Kevin said I was having the same problem about 10 feet down the straight at full throttle my mamba 4600 just cuts out for a sec...That was with my 3000 Lipos from maxamps that put out around 60amps...

Gino let me try his 5000 Lipo and there was no more problems...not one. And I've even set my Lipo cut off to NO CUTOFF...So I dont know what it is to be honest but its like the mamba ESC under high load just cant keep up the amperage and stutters...

I never had any probs at sids and i think thats because there wouldnt be the loads through the motor and ESC because there isnt the traction to put a high torque load on the motor...

I tired the reset of the mamba's FWD and REV endpoints and that didnt change anything for me. However if i turned my FWD end point about 20% down then I'd have no issues....

I also tried the 3 cell Lipo from Kevin and there was sooo much power the car was wheeling at full speed...there was no cut off issues at all with 11.1Vs...

QUESTION: Can you run a 5700u Capacitor on a Mamba ESC???? I'm thinking that might help but I've never heard anyone put on an optional one. And would you just attach it to the deans battery connector like a Novak Brushed ESC???
2006 RC10B4
2006 RC10T4 FactoryTeam
1989 RC10 Graphite
1984 RC10 OldGold
Tekin RC10MidEngineConversion

Spektrum DX3
Mamba 4600 system
MaxAmps 5000
Sphere Competition ESC
Novak 7.5 L
Yuntong 5000
imported_superfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
i've heard of people who have been told by castle creations to eliminate the bullet connectors from the wiring and make the wires as short as possible between the motor and the controller to solve this exact problem. to date mine has only acted up very slightly with my very old 3300's.
before doing that, both of you should go over all your wiring from the battery right through the controller and to the motor with a fine tooth comb to make sure its solid. This includes your battery connection and
be sure to check your on/off switches along the way - mine completely failed the very first time it was exposed to dirt and locked on, so i simply removed the entire switch/wiring and just jumped the leads on the board so that its always on.
if you do end up finding a wiring issue and want to shorten your wires, be sure to use a kick-** soldering iron - one with a nice new large tip and a lot of power... castle uses stupid silver solder on its boards which makes it a bugger to de-solder the wires from the board.
Also, avoid the disappointment of burning your mamba's plastic case by removing the two screws and the case before you solder.

aside from all this, are you guys running spektrums? spektrums have their own lovely little problems with the connection between the upper and lower board on some of the older models, and could be a possible source of the problem, but not as likely as the other problems mentioned.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.