What is the best 18th scale off road? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
What is the best 18th scale off road?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm thinking about pickup up an off-road 18th scale electric. What would you recommend I go with in terms of build quality, durability and access to parts?

talltree is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

a good 1/18 scale electric

i would check out the associated rc18t or rc18b

most hobby shops carry the replacement parts for them and if you buy an rc18t i would upgrade to the rpm front bumper, a arms and shock towers and the thing will be bulletproof.

you can buy all the rpm items for less than 50 bucks too.

since i put all the rpm stuff on my rc18t ive yet to break a single thing and im running a mamba 8000kv with 2 cell lipo in mine.
thrash metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
RCC Noob

Nice. Sounds like a good recommendation. I like durable as I'm relatively new to all of this and my driving shows it.

talltree is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

if your intrested i got a rc18t with mamba 8000 kv all rtr with futaba digital fm radio for sale 250$ just want out of the hobby its in mint condition comes with tons of extras too plus tires and other crap almost a whole box dont got any pics but you can call me 416 836 4008 - corey
Kenseth is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

best 1/18

R/C Car Action put out a special edition a few monthes ago that dealt only with the 1/18th scale. Check the local hobby shops for a copy. Personally I run a RC18T. The magazine above said it is the best overall in the class.
SAVAGE 4.6 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Wes

I would have to say, in terms of durability and build quality, the Xray M18T wins hands down. Access to parts depends on where you live and which hobby shops you go to, although rc18 parts are more common. The m18t uses a larger/stronger servo, and doesn't have any slop in the steering (compared to the rc1.
imported_wes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 AM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

It really depends on what you want to do with it . For the money the rc18 is okay, but has terrible steering and crappy shocks. With the right upgrades it is a good basher. A couple guys at my work run them.
Personally I just bought an x-ray m18t pro from Pinnacle hobby.
It is a far better truck if you plan on racing. Better quality, better handling, and lighter weight.But you do have to pay for it . It boils down to what you want , a good bang for the buck chinese fun truck or a european made precision race car ?

Sideways and on the gas .
Team RHS
Stranix is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor

While the RC18t is fun especially with a brushless setup, the steering servo design is horrible and is prone to stripping in addition to easily blown diffs due to brushless power. If you go with aluminum or hardened everything then it would be worth your while. I found it too delicate/fagile in its stock form.
Tamiya CR-01 Landcruizer Crawler
Savage X - XTM247
Savage X SS - Axial 32 Spektrum
Baja 5B
JetBoat BL
TC4 Novak BL
PRP XR8 Serpent .28 SH
Rustler Electric
Traxxas Blast Boat - LIPO
Graupner Mambo Boat
imported_chryslerintrepid is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
RCC Apprentice

I have been really happy with my 18T. Hopup parts (as well as parts in general) are relatively cheap (compared to my Revo, anyway). A couple must haves, IMO, are the DP gear cover and the draglink ( http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...6383&cat_name=' and http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...8087&cat_name=' ). I also found a ton of aluminum parts off ebay (all Associated) for almost half price compared to buying at the lhs. Going brushless isn't cheap, but throw in a Mamba 6800kv motor and a 2s 1550 lipo and WATCH OUT!!!
imported_ajb1205 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
RCC Pro Contributor

a definate must have upgrade for the associated is the spur gear cover. one little pebble and you are hearing that familiar tick, or worse a stripped spur.

the xray is pretty sweet and I am surprised nobody has mentioned the kyosho as it's pretty beefy
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.