O.S. V-Spec Rebuild - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
hyper7boy
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike R.

Total Props: 0
O.S. V-Spec Rebuild

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My VZ-B V-Spec is in need of a new pistons and sleeve. I was wondering though. With the O.S. Speed piston and sleeve fit in the VZ-B crankcase. Also, I know the O.S. Speed has more power, if I use the piston and sleeve from the O.S. Speed will my VZ-B have that same power, or at least simular. Please, any feedback would be great...
hyper7boy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Speed Metal
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bill N.

Yep everything will swap over. I believe the Speed case has some differences but I don't think there should be any issues as the Speed's exhaust port is lower and wider than the the regular V-Spec's. So I think it'll be fine.

regards

speed metal
Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Dave Henry
Sprucewood Team Losi Racing - Team Captain

the crankshaft is also timed diferently between the speed and regular v spec, and the oil hole is in the rod not the crank as in a speed,you must use a speed conrod with a speed crankshaft,mixing parts with some v spec and some speed will not provide much if any benefit

in general the v spec has a lot stronger low end hit in power with great midrange power and good top end, it is very well suited to buggy and truggy

the speed is designed specificly for 1/8 buggy (not truggy) and has a softer low end hit to help with traction with a great midrange and screaming top end

the speed only has more "power" at high rpm's, i would not recomend installing just a speed piston/sleeve in a vspec, and you should check the rest of your motor before replacing any parts

the crankpin should be checked for wear, it should measure no less than 4.90mm (if i remember correctly) at it's smallest spot, the crank should have zero play in the bearings and they should be perfectly smooth, also the rod should probably be replaced with a new piston/sleeve

if more than the piston/sleeve/rod need to be replaced i would recomend replacing the engine and saving the rest for parts

Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
hyper7boy
RCC Senior Contributor

Thanks Dave, great info. I am just going to put in the stock VZ.B P&S because like you said, the older one has more bottom end, and it is going in my 8ight-T so...Thanks for the great info.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Dave Henry
Sprucewood Team Losi Racing - Team Captain

no problem

don't forget to check the stuff i mentioned
Old 03-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Speed Metal
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bill N.

ahhh yes Dave is right. If you wanna do a Speed conversion you'll need to swap over piston, sleeve, conrod, and crank as the crank and rod have different lubrication holes. The regular V-Spec has the lube hole for the conrod cut in the rod journal of the crank whereas the Speed has the hole in the conrod itself like most Italian engines.

So you'd have swap over almost everything except the case!

Good call Dave!

regards

speed metal
Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
NS
RCC Contributor

I am: Nathan Stewart

I am rebuilding a v-spec as well.

The crank pin on my old crank was ovalized, so I opted for the speed crank / conrod ... and of course new bearings.

I was hesitant to play with the stock v-spec as it is such a good all-round engine, but the testosterone guided me the right way to more HP !
NS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #8
imported_Steve
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS View Post
I am rebuilding a v-spec as well.

The crank pin on my old crank was ovalized, so I opted for the speed crank / conrod ... and of course new bearings.

Hey Guy's

I've had 8 V-spec (no joke) and every One of them have had the crank ovaling issue I believe thats the motors weakness.

I Love that motor but it is rare to get a second piston/sleeve on the orignal crank. I think of my 8 motors only 1 got a second p/s.

My friend has the JP mod V-spec and he is on his 4 p/s, because the jp's crank is hardened & coated. Now the Speed's is also.

I don't think is worth the money to take a stock V-spec and change the crank, conrod, p/s to a Speed's.

Just buy a Speed there are many more benifits to Speed over a Stock V-spec. Speed comes with ceramic bearing, it comes with a 7,8,9mm carb restrictors, so if you need more bottom end change the restrictor and get more fuel econamy.

I have read somewhere that some guys in the USA are getting 13 to 15 min. with the 7mm restrictor.

just my thoughts.

Steve
imported_Steve is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
NS
RCC Contributor

I am: Nathan Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Hey Guy's

I don't think is worth the money to take a stock V-spec and change the crank, conrod, p/s to a Speed's.

Steve
FYI - The rebuild cost;

Speed Crank - $130
Speed Conrod - $50
Ceramic Bearing - $22

I couldnt afford not to rebuild my v-spec w/ the new hardware...as I have 2 piston / sleeve sets with lots of life left.
NS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
hyper7boy
RCC Senior Contributor

Wow, well for the price of everything, I might as well just sell my VZB and get the speen...no?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in