PIctures of my engine work - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by truman View Post
how do you rebalance the crank shaft when your finished modding it?

there is only 1 way to actually balance one of these motors.. thats by actually running it while hooked to a vibrex rotor balancer.... Single cylinder engines do not balance in the same way as multi cylinder engines.... as well any form of static balance you may achieve will immediately be thrown out the window as soon as combustion happens over the piston...Combustion pressure greatly affects engine balance , so the only way to actually balance the engine is by actually running it on a isolation platform and using a harmonic balancing system to tune the crankshaft weights to balance out the engines running harmonics....... These single cylinder 2 strokes do not rotate uniformly like an electric.. they actually operate like a 1 legged man riding a bicycle...every revolution of the engine will result in different rotational accelerations depending where in the rotation the crankshaft is.... the crank accelerates on the downstroke and decelerates on the upstroke(as compared to average acceleration).....A single cylinder has only 1 power pulse per revolution, so the output pulse is very choppy and impossible to really balance against.. as different fuel %, compression ratio and tune will all affect the output pulse of the engine....

The only engine modder in the business capable of balancing these engines is EB Mods..he does own a Cahdwick Vibrex system and is capable of tuning the engine harmonics...... Though unless you actually run the engine any attempts to tune harmonics will be wasted... The engine must be balnced while it is in operation..... which makes balancing these things a massive challenge..... even as much as changing fuel % will alter the harmonics of the engine....
imported_maximus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #22
Mark Smith
RCC Apprentice
I am: Mark Smith
Radio of choice:
KO Propo

Rob, maximo is on the right path and it is hard to balance these crank shafts but in reality, these motors are not as technically advanced as you think. They are very simple and most of these engines are balanced statically before assembly of the prototype. After that they are mass produced and depending on the quality of metals used, the weight of materials can vary slightly which would make it unbalanced so to speak and every engine runs just a little bit different even though they may come from the same mold. Most parts are casted and again depending on the number of impurities in the metals when casted will also help dictate metal hardness which metal even though its pretty hard will stretch under heat and pressure and that too affects the balance of the motor. From my experience, as long as you take off metal as evenly as possible from the crank and piston, the motor will run fine. I actually seem to get more motor longevity out of my turbo cranked engines due to the fact I remove material form the check to form the scoops which in turn moves the rotational mass closer to the center of the crank which in turn takes some stress of the rod and the bushings last longer. Everyone has their opinions and findings but in reality, these engines are not that sophisticated. If they were they would last longer than they do.

Mark @
Mark Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
RCC Noob

this is nice work. Didn't even know that people modified Nitro engines.
imported_nbraptor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #24
RCC Apprentice

thats good info to know I often thought of trying to do some mods on an old engine but was afraid I might throw it way off.

thank you

imported_truman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #25
RCC Apprentice
I am: Nick

Just An FYI to any one thinking of having Max mod ur motor......Ive been his Right hand man since the beginning...driver that is....ushally im drivin in all the vids...and i could'nt be more impressed with EVERY single motor he does.....All the JPX's at the Nationals this year ran FLAWlessly....My c6 in buddy was NASTY fast...We didnt blow a Single glo plug All weekend...never needed more then 1/8 turn on the needle's All weekend...and had AWSOME power everywhere...not to mention the run times.....There isnt a Motor out there that Max cant make 10X better....he know's his stuff and takes his time doing it.....99% of modder's dont do what he does...So if ur lookin for Serious Racing HP MAX is ur man.
2012 RCPro MB Director - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - Clockwork Engines Team Driver - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.