Savage X 4.6 Tuning issues - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Savage X 4.6 Tuning issues

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else has an issue with breaking in a new Savage X.

I picked up my Savage X 4.6 on Thursday and started the break in process last night. What a pain is the *!

My bud also picked up the exact same one and had no issues what so ever. HPI states that factory defaults for the carb is having the adjustment screws flush with the fixture. That is how my friends is. Mine on the otherhand was way to rich on this setting. I had to turn the HS screw in 1.5 turns and the LS screw in 1 full turn before I could get it to run for any length of time. Not to mention the rapid depletion of fuel......

Also, his brakes were almost bang on but mine was not even set at all!

Now that it is set up right....all is good
Team Losi Mini-T x2
Losi XXX-T Brushless
Tamiya 2 x M03s / DF-02 Rising Storm
HPI Savage X / 2 x MT2 SS
Traxxas E-Maxx Brushless / Slash
Blade MCX / CX / CP+
Proboat Shockwave 26
imported_cancruiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

yea ive herd of alot of people having minor issues out of the box. but with a few adjustments all is resolved.
My Garage

Empty... lets keep it that way....
Speed_City is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

mine was like your buddys
she ran beautiful out of the box!
Schmidt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

Yep, Same Problem here, We boought the Savages XL's later that day we broke it in, my brothers was fine, brakes were great everything, mine on the other had crystal problems from the factory, something is wrong my low end,my tires wobble to the point as if thier coming off but but w.e, IT still ruins other at the track LOL
k4.6! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

Ya I had the same problem when I bought my Savage X 4.6 . But I got it tuned and then I would run it, break it, fix it, repeat.
anthony94 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
RCC Noob

I had a difficult time gettting mine to start out of the box (SAV X SS), then during break-in a piece of the lower skirt on the piston head came off and was banging around inside. I knew something was wrong because the pull start wouldn't function properly. Once I pulled apart the engine and took out the piece of the piston head, the thing ran fine. Lots of pinch on those engines though and is fairly hard on the pull start at first until they get broken in.
Chazzman31 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice

Hard To Start

Well from all the times of starting big block engines ..the pinch is so tight you should use a hair dryer to heat up the engine to at least 150 degrees or more then pull your pull starter,,,I have found after about 6 to 7 tanks of fuel it will start to loosen up..Really no matter the brand of RC you have.After 1 gal you can use a roto starter if you wish..Before that you will have a hard time starting if going to use roto starter..I have always used a hair dryer to preheat a new engine..
Always check your factory setting first ...after some fine tuning it will run great..When ever you have a problem or diffacult to start reset your needles to factory settings..not counting a flooded engine or glow plug bad or the igniter battery dead..Hope this will help you out..
OH Yeah if you have 1/2 fuel tank lean problems you need to install a oneway check valve in exhaust line to fuel tank....
slawhammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #8

My Savage XL was almost 100% out of the box

I picked up my Savage XL last week and out of the box I found the carb was set for break-in but the brakes were not setup correctly. The brakes wouldn't engage until the carb was almost closed which caused the engine to quit.

I also found that some of the screws on the chassis and steering needed to be tightened which reduced play between the parts quite a bit.

I replaced the stock servos with beefier units that I already had and swapped out the radio for a 2.4Ghz unit. With the servo swap came new servo arms and I also added a OFNA linkage kit which I find smoother than the stock unit.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the build quality and will over time I'll plan to upgrade various components to improve performance.
xlbigtruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
RCC Noob

Savage X k4.6

I had mine two days before starting pin spring broke(part # 1433) and went up into the cylinder and scored it bad Called HPI they said send it to us and we will look at it. A month later they sent me my FIXED motor, It was worth the wait, POWER is GREAT compared to my 2.5R REVO which i still like just no wheelies(Like the Savage).
Lzam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.