Off Road R/C Racing In Canada !! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2008, 07:10 AM   #1
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Off Road R/C Racing In Canada !!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I was wondering how Canada compare`s to the rest of the world as far as R/C Off Road Racing goes. Also how does Ontario compare to the rest of Canada ??
As the rest of you i would like to see some huge event`s come to Canada, Ontario for us. So what would it take for us to host some event`s here and what can we do so we can run with the rest of the world or even come close. From what i heard our guy ( Big Dave ) is not as dominating over there and that must eat him up, ( your machine can only break so many time`s before they figure what`s going on )
I would love to attend some event`s with guy`s from all over and learn what it take`s to be the best !!

Any thought`s on what we can do ??
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

Sorry for the double post, please leave your comments on this one.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Racing in the Maritimes is starting to grow,
Not as big as Ontario yet but.............
Ya, Ya I know, I see the carnage, but it's still race-able. Isn't it?
imported_Izzy-Racing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor

The racing scene in the great white north will never compare , All the BIG races happen down south where a lot of the manufactures or distributors are based .
-Losi 8ight
-Team Associated B4

-HotBodies VE8
-Team Associated B4.1
-FT Team Associated SC10
imported_tire_tec is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Andrew, Ontario has hosted some of the largest events in North America - just look at attendance levels at 6th and 7th annual sprucewood invitationals and at 2007 AND 2008 Southern Indoor Offroad Championships. Sure there have been larger events (not many), but given our population density, what has been pulled off is nothing short of amazing!
Fastcats hosts onroad events that rival any event in north america, and they have recently broken into indoor offroad carpet as well. Their facility and especially their custom scoring system are second to none.
The Winternats in Reddeer Alberta is consistantly drawing the best drivers form across the country, and gets world-wide coverage through the news feeds.
Theres not too many 7 race championship series around north america either. GLORCS has been getting bigger and bigger over the last few years, and brings a lot of racers together in this region. CORCS has also been doing their thing out west, and theres now a second series, RCPRO in Ontario as well.
We actually have a few (three i think?) drivers representig Canada at the Worlds this year as well. Its been a while since Canada has been there, and the fact that Canada is back at the Worlds speaks for itself.
Several manufactures are sponsoring drivers across Canada.
Locally everyone knows about Sprucewood Team Losi, and theres also drivers for Kyosho, X-Ray and Jammin just to name a few.
Sids raceway is a big factor in the recent comeback of electric offroad racing, which is being fueled in part by relatively inexpensive, top notch kits, absolutely amazing batteries and super-reliable brushless motors. Kyosho and Orion even sponsors John Summach for electric racing.
This country is huge. Bigger than the USA. However, we have 1/10th the population. That means we're spread thin in comparison. It will naturally be harder for this hobby to be as predominant as other countries around the world, but Canada is doing a good job with what they have.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: John Summach

Our racing is more grassroots than in the USA. There are some pretty solid series that draw huge numbers and they are backed by a lot of the manufacturers. Out in California they can race almost every day of the week against all the top drivers in the world. This ups the level of driving quite a bit and quickly and as the saying goes: "the only way to get faster is race with the best guys out there". Track wise in off road, we really don't have the same level of facilities either. Chalk that up to the number of participants though I guess. They probably have more racers in Cali than all of Canada! It takes $$$ to put up a world class facility and maybe the market just cannot support it here. I do pretty well here in off road electric, but when we went to CRCRC you had maybe 15-20 of the top "big name" guys who were battling for a spot in the A Main and probably 60 "hometown hero's" as were called who are all pretty close in ability sorting out the rest of the mains. I find their racing surfaces are very different to what we are used to and that eats up a lot of practice just trying to get everything set up. I think that the top guys in Ontario could be B & C Mainer's pretty easily with more experience at the big events. I believe that you have to go to these races and get comfortable racing at that level to be able to give them a run for their money. I would love to have a race with people from all over Canada but I think the sheer size of the County limits most people from making the trek (and lack of an organized National governing body). I would think the top guys from each Province would be pretty close to each other.
Great Hobbies - Team Durango

"Almost Live Race Coverage":

"Finding Your Dream Home"
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jeff F

Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
I believe that you have to go to these races and get comfortable racing at that level to be able to give them a run for their money.
That's exactly it. The more racing you do and the more DIFFERENT track you run on the quicker you can adapt to the changes.

As far as Canada vs. the US goes I've raced at both and at big races in both and there is a difference - most of it has been mantioned above so I won't repeat it but the largest one is look at the weather... Cali, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida etc all have MUCH longer race seasons.... the first year I was in Oklahoma we raced to the end of Feb. with only missing 1 or 2 weekends due to cold weather! Then started again in April and went till last December... and that's an outdoor offroad track too...
The Revolution is Coming...
Currently Racing:
Caster ZX1.5R Pro, EX1.5R Pro, SK10 Pro
Stuck to the dirt by VP Pro Tires
Stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #8

Very Interesting !!

Thank`s for the reply`s, i find them informing, I think the sponsor thing is huge, as you said they get big buck`s for sponsorship !!
Old 05-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor

Granted, the RC race scene will never be as potent in Canada as it is in the sunny South, but for that very reason...SUNNY!!!

RC in Canada suffers from the same pitfalls as the PGA Tour. The weather. If only there was something we could do about that huh?

Just my 2 cents worth on this topic!

I have to go pack now. I'm moving to California!!! JOKE...
imported_BBFBCAP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.