What got you into the world of RC? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Ashton P

Total Props: 0
What got you into the world of RC?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What got you guys into the world of RC-ing? I'll start off, When i was 13-14 years my cousin got a Traxxas 4-Tec(electric) and T-Maxx (.15pro).
My cousin brought it to my house in the winter and went down to a school yard and played with it. I loved these rc's soo much but, i couldn't afford it. When i turned 16yrs old i got my job and i went to johns and picked up a Tamiya QD subaru. I liked it until i fried my board. Then i got a nitro 4tec off flea bay and the engine was F**. The rest was just wasting money stupidly and this year i vow not to waste my money on things i don't need. I just started this hobby to have fun and not take things seriously even when i am in a race i just have fun and not take it too seriously because, it's not like were getting paid to race were just there to have fun. Tekno.
tekno is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Mine was a Savage about 4-5 years ago that my best friend talked me into getting after showing me his. Then i got a RS4 EVO, then a Mini Quake, HPI MT2.18ss and a AX10
imported_xxSLiMxx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: kyle
Radio of choice:
kicx 106

my dad got me and my brother a hpi rush evo for christmas about 2 years ago. we couldnt get then to run for more the a tank at a time. and they would always break. and sence then we have been trading and buying new trucks. now we just have our 4 truck.
need another MUGEN !!!
brent-kyle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Kevin G

when i was about five i was looking through my dads magazines when i saw an ad for traxxas i was really excited as i loved those tyco rcs but then i lost the ad after i cut it out

a few years later i went early to a friends birthday party and saw a huge plane and it said hobbico nexstar and when my friend started talking about the nitro engine and stuff i got excited

i joined a bramalea flying club later that year with my own nexstar and then i was 10 one of the member's son brought a tmaxx and i instantly remembered

i begged my dad for a few years then eventually while scrolling around on craigslist i found a great deal for a duratrax evader ST (50 bucks!! RTR) so we went down and bought it

i got really into it for a while then i fried my reciever so i bought a new one off kijiji when i bought it the seller said "you really oughta go on offroadrc its a great local rc site" the seller was petes98 (i think thats it)

so i watched the forums when i eventually found a deal on a revo when i bought it my rc life just took off
My baby The Revo 3.3
Tmaxx Project Truck (Waiting for B.Less)
Evader St (E)
Newbie2rc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

good old radio shack:GRIN:
well then my uncle got his truck and 3 years ago me and my dad split for a savage 25
then i got my money back and bought my own savage X:GRIN:
Schmidt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John

I started off about 25 years ago when my dad bought me a Kyosho Scorpion for doing very good in school. This was back in the day when the Frog, Grasshoper and Hunter ruled the electric world. I took a break from RC through my teenage years and got back into it in my late 20's when I bought a TLO1. From there moved to Nitro (Rush), then the Revo, Savage, Ofna MBX and X1 CRT. Now I just have the Revo and X1 CRT, however watching the vids of the Savage Xl's Im hankerin' for one of them now
I love the smell of nitromethane in the morning. Smells like...victory"

HPI Baja 5T :GRIN:
imported_BananaMan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #7

Smile Rainy day so.......

Rainy day so....... In about 2002, my buddy bought a Nitro Stampede at Cash Converters. He played with it broke it a few times. One of hte last times before he figured how to drive it, he nialed a tree and had to buy some parts for it. Went to Pickering Hobbies, met Diane. The best comination of a RC Guru and person I have met in my years playing with these.
Combined with this hankering and my newly found Ebay, I purchased a Maximum ST and patiently waited for it to show up. Alot of trips to PH and I was moving along just fine. My friend with the stampede, sugested we go watch his friends at TORC because they do this "carpet racing" thing. WOW. We had the bug good now. Decided that ebay would be a good start for a chassis. Didn't know about rctech etc then. Bought a Tamiya Evo 2(?) and along with a supply of things we decided to purchase insupport by not spending more than $600, we were practising on carpet. Horrible driving on even more horrible tires and we practices,, broke and practiced once a week for 5 months.
Mike Steele,Martin Crisp and a few others got into my head by saying that practice would never be the same after racing and that we should race Friday nights in the club race. My bud had a cottage so he didnt go but I went and they were right. The helpers, Joon, Martin, Mike, Martin, Jerry, Patrick all welcomed me tutored me and helped me figure out how o race. I bought Fazal's old XRAY Evo2, he commisioned Dave Yee to help me with setup for the night and I now had a real race car that I could drive fairly well. All the while, I get into TCS series in GT1. Got smoked by some of Toronto's fastest, but had a blast. Made it to National Finals 2 years in a row. Never a threat but enjoyed the days.
Along comes Fastcats and the racing is different now. Foam tires and stunning speeds. Great fun still. And now, durhamRC and Sids raceway fills out the year with Rc racing for all seasons.
Equipment changes are imporoving the hobby in speed, durability, maintenance. Amazing. So for this summer, going to try a SpeedPasssion 2.5R run by an RSPro(on it's way), on foam tires on pavement. Have a feeling this motor will not work for our layout, but it was available, I was in the mood to spend some hobby dollars.
so, while we do not have as many practice days available as we used to, a story like this could be pretty motivating to a newb to jump in and have some fun playing with the toy cars we all love so much.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
RCC Apprentice

I first started playing with rc cars when the tamiya family of electric offroads(hotshot, supershot,frog,grasshopper etc.) were really popular. I have been playing around with rc cars on and off since then. Its a wonderful sport and has pretty much become a way of life. I applaud everybody who is still in the sport and representing well. Keep it up, cheers!!!

Mugen Mbx6r
Fiber_Don is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
RCC Junior Contributor

I started back somewhere in the late 80s with a Kyosho Assault bought from a toy store. I fried the engine in less than a gallon as I had no idea of what I was doing. Then I got a Losi JRXT with two motors, a 1200 mah Sanyo battery, and a Futaba radio in a garage sale for $40. Then my attention turned to racing on road for a long while, 1/10th electric, F1s, touring, then I flew airplanes for a couple years and then got back to racing with nitro touring and on road 1/8th scale, I got out of the hobby for more then 3 years when my son was born. I'm getting back into it this year at Hardcore RC in the MT class with a Revo.
imported_mistercrash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor

I started before I could drive.Bonified car nut due to all those muscle cars on the road at the time.Things like big block Chevelles,Olds 442's,GTO's,GS's,Mach 1's,Boss Stangs,Cougars,Torino's,Cuda's,Challenger's,GTX's and plenty more.Horse power everywhere!Couldn't join them at the time but I found my fix before I could join them.12E was first then I found dirt with a Hornet and just haven't stopped loving the hobby since.
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!
Knowledge is power;hand eye cordination is a different issue!
imported_Kevin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.