Savage Dogbones - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #11
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Good point but my X is only a couple of months old. Still on my second gal of fuel. The cups still look real good.

I really think it's the way it is driven. My 9 year old drives it the most and has the most damage but I too have broken a couple. The last issue was that he snapped the rear dogbone between the tranny and rear diff.
Team Losi Mini-T x2
Losi XXX-T Brushless
Tamiya 2 x M03s / DF-02 Rising Storm
HPI Savage X / 2 x MT2 SS
Traxxas E-Maxx Brushless / Slash
Blade MCX / CX / CP+
Proboat Shockwave 26
imported_cancruiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
RCC Apprentice

^ That I would say is definitely too much wheel speed/throttle on landing.

As for the outer dogbones - make sure the Orings are still in the drive cups. I know I totally forgot about em the last time I had my truck stripped down and I lost 3 using compressed air to clean it. :S Without the Orings, the dogbones have a tonne of slop which leads to damage.
imported_Dukk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Andrew

I know nothing about savages, but are they equipped with a slipper clutch at all?

Maybe it is too tight and has no give when landing jumps thus putting stress on the dogbones.
My 3.3 Jato
RC Driver Magazine Showcase Beauty.
Tamiya M03M
Mini-T-C4 Team Bluegroove
Mugen MBX5T
Dufferin RC- New!
jatofan69 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #14

Wow...there's a lot of good tips in this thread,I have a Savage SS 4.6 not a Savage X 4.6. and I have only had 2 dogbone issues.One bent and one broken,I have had it about a year now and it's pretty much a daily driver....I have Monster MGT's on my truck(heavy wheel'n'tire combo) and a .28RR mill........I bent the one bone on a botched 20foot landing on the front corner(truck was still drivable mind you)and the other I can't really remember how it broke.
Just like JROD and a few other said(yourself included) you may just wanna change the way you drive a little,not so heavy on the gas after landing try not to over strain the drivetrain(climbing curbs,pushing stuff etc...)
Also jatofan69 also has a good comment,try adjusting your slipper clutch so it gives a little when you pound on the throttle........
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #15
RCC Senior Contributor

after reading some more of the comments, if your son is having the most problems with breaking drive line parts the easiest way to solve that is by limiting the amount of power the motor is making for your son to run and then tune it up for yourself.
go a little richer on the bottom and the top end for your son and loosen the slipper a tad. then for yourself go leaner on both needles and tighten the slipper. then you can gradually get your son used to the power, as he gets better you go leaner.
another way is to just change the end points for the throttle servo so the servo never opens the carb fully, thus the motor will never produce full power. then it is simply a matter of changing the e.p.a back ad forth to accomodate the two different driving needs.
hope this helps.
imported_JROD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.