conversion possibilities - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Sean H

Total Props: 0
conversion possibilities

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey there,

I just decided (95%) to convert my losi 8 to electric once my nitro fuel is done.

hereĀ“s what I have so far,

6 5000mah yongtong batteries in good shape.

I have decided to go with he Mamba max for now until the kinks are out of their MONSTER system. (thoughts?) I already have that on hand.

so if I understand correctly I will need,

the BEC for the electronics and the cap for the power surges.

battery fastening system

(anything else???)

what is your opinion on fielago versus medusa vs neu

I am wanting to have a nice power band. I don't want crazy torque. I don't mind top end however I would rather put a smaller pinion on a motor with less torque as opposed to gearing up a torque based motor to weaken the punch.

Is the runtime that much better on the Neu vs the others? would it be worth my time to get the cheaper one to see how I like the power and then decide? (I am leaning towards that one.)

Please feel free to make a suggested list of things to get

thanks for your time,
samboneecanada is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

you will definately get better runtimes with higher quality motors.. like Lehner, Plettenberg, Aveox, Kontronik, Hacker & Neu...
The Power of BRUSHLESS!!!!!
1HP (electric) = 746 Watts.
Everything is brushless!!
imported_Aqwut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor

I have the 1512 2.5D Neu in mine. I use yuntongs and get about 25 mins on the track. I may give up a little on the top end but the infield it is awesome. very very close in power to a nitro. no complaints from anyone about me running with the nitros because there is no real advantage. for a little more top end I'd like to try either a 1512 2D or a 1509 motor, probably a 1Y because the 2.5d is a 2000 kv motor. going up about 2500-2700 would make it a rocket.

I see the 1509 smaller can seems to be a decent choice now. you give a little bottom torque but gain some efficiency... about what I am looking for, and sounds like what you'd want.

buying a feigao, you'd have to get the rc-monster heatsink because it'll hold the endbells from flying off. the medusa is sounding like a killer deal, but I have no experience other than reading what others have said. most of us run a neu motor. the one hacker buggy let the genie out, but he was overgeared huge and a high kv motor so was inevitable
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
RCC Apprentice

Originally Posted by samboneecanada View Post
so if I understand correctly I will need... the cap for the power surges.
Can you elaborate on this please? I know about everything else you mentioned (I'm planning an 8ight conversion too), but I know very little about this one.

(anything else???)
I think you've missed a motor mount.

A really good choice for this is the RCPD conversion kit. Another is the RC-Monster motor mount. The RCPD kit comes with a (great) battery-attachment device, although it's a bit pricy at $175 (but might be just worth it). The RC-M mount is like $60-70 I think but there's no battery-mount.

Be sure to check out this thread, it has TONS of useful info. Try to look though the last 30 pages or so.

Also check this:
shurcooL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor

Brushless Conversion Losi 8ight

Check this out, the price isn't too bad...

But it looks this will only work with Novak brushless motors .
MONKEY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor

The problem with the Novak motor mounts are they attach the motor to the chassis instead of the rear center diff mount.
The Novak version will cause the gear mesh to change when the chassis flexes.
MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor

The Novak system looks like it was an afterthought. sorry but it looks hack to me. balance will suck the way it is, flex like mentioned above will be an issue.

The capacitor on the drive system is a low emf 25V cap. the one from the novak hvmaxx system will work, but I got 4 smaller (440uF) that I soldered parallel. it is like a holding tank for power that allows draw to lessen the draw on the esc. it really helps cool. I have never run a fan, no holes in my case etc. I have the esc mounted behind my battery tray so no airflow either and have been running it for months with no thermal problems etc and I run full packs and even swap batteries and keep going.... that said, I want to try my mm on 5s next and might have to break down and do the fan thing... we'll see if it is ok. at worst I need to buy another mm lol

and I too run yuntongs all the way baby. 2X 4s packs (5K), 2X 4.8K saddles and 2X 2s (5k). I am going to make a Y cable for the 2S packs today so I can use them all and just swap batteries tomorrow rather than worry about charging all day.
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.