Pro Boat brushless cat - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Boat Discussion Discuss RC Boats, submarines & hovercrafts in electric or nitro.

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Pro Boat brushless cat

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does anyone have a Proboat brushles black jack?

Can it keep up to a nitro or is it faster?
Jammin x1-cr Factory Team

HPI Baja SS & Savage:GRIN:

Mini LST2

Action Hobbies in Brampton Rocks!
alfierc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

re pro boat brushless cat

i have the blackjack 26 brushless cat.

battery power is dual 2s lipos. goes like a bat outta hell. im still waiting to race spencer with his gas miss lumar boat.
thrash metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

Originally Posted by fuceye snoutcall View Post
thinking of buying my first boat.seen a blackjack hit 89km in the pond today.
so i,ve been looking for as much info as possable.
dave; i seen one at hobby home today bout 300 bucks

4WD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

you should have some good fun with that the thing goes like stink man righ out of the box.
4WD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
RCC Noob

blackjack brushless

I realize this is a few weeks old, but some thoughts on the Blackjack.

I have had one all summer, with some ups and downs.

First I will say it is less trouble than my buddies nitro boats, and within reason, just as fast on the water. We have 3 BJ26's, a BJnitro, a couple Formulas and assorted other nitro boats in the fleet, so, some basis of comparison.

If you are looking for the top end, you have to go LiPo, and you have to find the best prop for your conditions.

And you MUST lube the shaft pretty much every good run. Big gains from that.

Issue with the boat is that it is prone to flipping out, up, over, corkscrew, the works when you go heavy on the juice. So, you have to respect the conditions (ok, like any other boat.....)

Balance and proper balast is always an issue and each battery selection has its pros and cons. I tend to run mine on NiMh (have both 7.2 and 8.4's) because frankly, I cannot make use of the LiPo power......I kept getting too brave and over it would go which really slows it down......

Even though the electronics are in a plastic box, they are far from sealed. I tape everything. Twice. Especially the lids - they do not float if they come off.

Now, everyone I know with a BJBL has had issue with the ESC - it will start behaving erratically at some point. Mine started to prevent me from getting past 3/4 throttle after about 10 packs- it would just die, then, reset, die, reset etc....I called ProBoats about this and <<immediatly>>> the so-called service rep says "Is it cutting out? Oh, thats your batteries, these things can only work with the Proboats batteries, other batteries cannot handle the power".

That smelled to me, either a complete crock, or Proboat has a class action coming..... Anyway, I asked about the warranty on the esc, and was told "there is no warranty except complete out of box failure" and when I asked about a replacement esc, ($100) he said "they are backordered". There was that smell again.

Anyway, a bit of logic suggested some kind of cut-off was kicking in; so even though I had not converted to Lipo yet, I bought the Esc programmer and reset everything to Lipo, then back to NiMh. Threw in my 7.2's and was back in business. ESC has worked fine since.

So, long story to say:
1. The boat is fun for the $$
2. Think of Superbad - you need a big tube of lube
3. Proboats have no warranty (understandable)
4. At least one of their tech's is a complete boob
5. If your ESC kacks out, try the reprogram before buying a new one.
6. The gel coat and fiberglass is super-thin - be careful with

imported_rc_addict444 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

re blackjack 26 brushless issues

rc addict you are correct about issues with the blackjack brushless

the turning ability at higher speeds is very poor with the stock rudder and hardware. if you ever goto the site they have an entire section just for the blackjack 26 brushless

most guys install aftermarket hardware on their blackjack and it improves the turning 100%. from what ive read the fullers hardware is the best aftermarket hardware to install on the blackjack. it goes for about 99.00 us. pro boat has also come out with a blackjack 26 ss which has all new aluminum hardware instead of the cheap plastic stuff.

your comment that to get some real speed from the blackjack you need to go lipo is so true.
from the day i bought my blackjack ive only run lipo batteries in it and the difference in acceleration and top speed in like night and day.
running 6s lipo in my blackjack with an octura x642 balanced and sharpened prop i was clocked by a radar gun at 89kph. pretty quick for running the stock motor, esc and hardware.

i havent had any issues with my esc yet and ive been running it on 6s lipo since i bought it. pro boat doesnt recommend running more than 4s lipo but so far its holding up.

you definately have to tape down the hatch as the magnetic hatch will not stay on in the event of a high speed crash or flipover. ( i know first hand because i sunk mine in lake promenade earlier this summer after flipping it ) the hatch flew off like paper.

alot of guys have had esc issues and you are right that pro boat is playing dumb as to issues with the esc.

all in all out of the box its a really good boat. the motor can handle alot of lipo power.

most guys upgrade their esc and motor to handle more amps . i have a castle hydra 120 esc and a nemesis 9xl motor waiting to go in my blackjack once the stock running gear blows up. lol
thrash metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.