REVO tuning expert badly needed !!!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
REVO tuning expert badly needed !!!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
cheers all - i am in dire need of some help with my revo 3.3. i had it running a number of times over the last couple weeks and have been working on getting it tuned just right. went to start it today and it won't start. i set the high, low and idle screws all back to factory break in settings. both lights on the easy start light up nice and bright and its fully charged etc. it will start and run for 2 seconds then quit. if i hit the button again it will start instantly again but will always stall again. if i use the throttle and rev it up once it fires it will respond really well and the engine will increase according to the throttle i'm giving it but it will still stall no matter what i do. i had the wheels of the ground incase it was the clutch or something, still stalls. if i have it off the ground, use the easy start and throttle and get it reving up with wheels spinning, still stalls. according to the traxxas knowledge center it could be a number of things, but none really make sense. i don't thinks its the clutch or bearing as it starts and revs up. i don't think its the mixture screws etc because it starts very well and if i move the low mixture screw either direction a 1/4 turn it won't fire-up nearly as easily, leading me to believe the mixture screws are good, or at least close enough to perfect that it should run. for the 'starts but then stalls' section it also lists glow plug as possible cause but i thought the glow plug was just to get it running as once you remove the easy start the glow plug isn't doing anything anyway ????? i'm lost......i just got this thing and now i'm really getting frusterated. it was running so good but today this happens. i'm a HD mechanic by trade so i'm doing my best to not get mad and just use logic to go through and isolate the problem but having no luck. is my engine toast? what could have happened since the other day that it won't run now? the only thing i can think is maybe some dirt or debris got in somewhere? how sensitive are these things to fuel pressure? i have fuel dripping out the exhaust, but i'm not sure if it thats from being to rich or just from trying to start it over and over again for 20 min. the thing is basically operating temperature from running 2 seconds at a time 2 hundred times, so it should just run. i tried going a little on the lean side just to get it to run but no matter what it won't run for more than 2 seconds. sorry for the long read but i am desperate and my pride won't allow me to drop it off somewhere to be fixed and me not understand the problem, especially now that i know i can't figure out myself. the person who helps me out and figures this out will be me new personal r/c hero and i'll be spreading positive accolades around town with his name attached for a long time.......thanks to anybody who can give even a slight help in the right (or any) direction. cheerio, dennis.
imported_dgsmooth is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor

Have you tried a new glow plug?
imported_iflybyu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
RCC Noob

i have put a new glow plug in......but isn't the glow plug just to get it started? once you release the starter/glow plug button the glow plug doesn't do anything anyway? does it?
thanks mate.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

re glow plug

if your glow plug is no good the engine will keep stalling after you take off the ez start wand.
thrash metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor

The coil in the glow plug stays hot after the juice is turned off
it is not just for starting.
if you over heat it and fry the coil it quits too.
You seem to have covered all the bases but that its the next logical step to change.
Actually its usually the first thing to check...
imported_xxfile is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
RCC Noob

okay, i didn't know that, i just assumed the glow plug did nothing once its running. you know what happens when you assume !!! is it possible the glow plug could heat up and work for starting but not work for staying hot etc. could it fail in that way? i guess i'll take a few steps back and go after the glow-plug situation. thanks bro........
Old 08-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: D.S.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

try this

turn up your throttle trim to give a false idle. If you hit the brakes and it stalls you need to adjust your idle stop screw, not the needle mixtures. Good luck.
ruffmt1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor

Test your glow plug outside the engine. The coil should glow orange while it's plugged in to the electric start or glow starter (if you have one). If the plug is okay it's time to look at other things. Make sure your idle is set correctly. Remove the air filter and check the gap, it should be around 1mm. If the gap is too small your engine will not start or start then stall immediately. Check your fuel lines, specially the one going to the carb and make sure there are no leaks. Change it if in doubt about it's condition. Do you have a fuel filter installed? If you do check that too and make sure there is nothing blocking the filter.Check the fuel pick up area in the gas tank to make sure there is no debris. Also check the exhaust system and make sure it is not blocked in some way.

An engine getting the proper air and fuel mixture should idle nicely. How is the compression on your 3.3? Check by turning the flywheel by hand. If there is resistance then compression should be good.

Good luck and keep us posted.
MONKEY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
"F" Main

I think ruff mt has it right try turning in the idle speed screw. If this doesn't help I would suspect a problem with the clutch...bad bearing, broken shoe or broken spring.
Martin Petre
Mugen Seiki
Team Driver
Byron Fuels
Skycraft Hobbies
2005 + 2007 Sammy's S.S. 1/8 buggy champ
2007& 08 GLORCS MT Champion
2008 Southern Ontario indoor MT Champion
2009 Canadian Winter nats 3rd 1/8 Pro Buggy
mpetre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
RCC Noob

well thats sort of what i was thinking from other advice i found. i have 'the real macoy' glow plugs. where i bought them they told me mc8 in the summer, and mc59, which is hotter, in the fall. i got two of both and have tried the hotter one but same thing. actuallt when i first put the hotter one in it ran for probably 20 seconds, then stalled. when i re-started maybe 5-10 sec, then 2 again over and over.......if i turn the low speed/idle mixture screw in a smidge then it won't even run for the 2 seconds???? everything is at factory settings from traxxas, .7-1 mm on idle screw, 1.5 turns out on low mixture and 4 turns out on high mixture. if i move the low mixture screw either direction 1/4 turn then it won't fire at all. i removed one of the starter motor wires and used a jumper wire between, then i start it and remove the jumper wire and then keep on the easy start trigger to keep the glow plug going - if i do this then it will stay running, but when i release, out it goes. thanks for the direction mate, it sure seems like a glow plug issue but it ran so well the other day.......this is killing me...........
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.