RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
love that rustler
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
glow plugs keep popping

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey guys i have been popping glow plugs like u wouldnt believe, i popped 2 tonight and 2 yesterday im starting to get very frustrated, i am running revo with a rossi .21 with jp3 pipe, i ran the revo for bout 2 mins then i shut it down to help out a friend, i went to start it and a bran new plug popped in 2 mins of barely running, so then i put another new one in again i ran about 2 tanks of fuel brang it home checked the plug and guess wat the coil in that plug popped to, i dont get it the motor sits there and idles so amazing ive tried running the motor rich that didnt work ive ran it a little leaner thinkin that was the problem and i just dont get it, the motor dont even leak, ive popped 4 plugs in 3-4 tanks ive been having this issue with my motors for months can u guys help me out lol, im almost redy to get outta nitros hopefully i can get some info to help me out thanks alot guys
love that rustler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor

glow plug issue

What type of plug are you using?
Have you torn down the engine and checked all bearings checked the wrist pin (bent?), and the con rod and pin to see that they are true. If the pin has an eliptical shape than can only be seen with a micrometer that could be what is popping plugs.
Hopefully that is not the problem. Have you richened the mixture to accomodate for the much cooler temps. Cold air is more dense and has more oxygen which requires more fuel.
Have the coils been totally blown out? If so have you checked to see that they did no damage on the way through your engine?
Did you recently go to a longer plug? Or have you tried a shorter one?
imported_JROD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor

If you are blowing the plugs that quick it sounds like you are running a lean condition. Check for air leaks around the head and the plug, if you are using a turbo plug check the taper some plugs with not seat as well as the Novarossi type. The other thing you can try is put another shim in to lower the compression.
Ya, Ya I know, I see the carnage, but it's still race-able. Isn't it?
imported_Izzy-Racing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor

Been there...done that...

I'm betting you've got junk in the trunk!!! You've probably sucked dirt man. Sorry to be the barer of bad news!

If you can drive your rig, and keep it going with the glow driver on it, but as soon as the driver is taken off...this is 99% going to be the reason!
imported_BBFBCAP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor

Have you tried to use a differnt heat range in plug? I can atest to dirt blowing plugs,what happens is the fine grains of dirt(even dust) will attatch to the coils of the plug.The Dirt(dust)will cause that piont to over heat and come apart.Blow the motor apart and check the insides for dirt and fine scratches etc..
-Losi 8ight
-Team Associated B4

-HotBodies VE8
-Team Associated B4.1
-FT Team Associated SC10
imported_tire_tec is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor

Generally popping glow plugs like that is a sign of a worn con rod bushing.
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.