os rg 21 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
os rg 21

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i have 2 os rg's in 2 of my buggy's, im new to the race scene but not new to rc nitro, just curious on your thoughts of the os rg 21, quality, carb settings, best temp range, ext. i am running these motors in thunder tiger eb4 - s3 buggies, thanks for the help
akramer007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

O.S. staple

pm GUMP, he has a good amount of experience with this engine.
i have one, and it still runs great for being an older engine, i ran it around 220, with the stock heat sink, if you use the nova head don't go over 200. Great engine, easy too tune, and holds a tune good. it is a perfect engine to start out racing with.
Greg jones
1nferno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
I totally agree. this in my opinion was the most under rated motor ever made. it wasn't particularly long lasting, but was reliable, consistant and provided plenty of torque and even rpm when tuned properly. Its obviously slightly lacking when compared to monsters like the v-spec or the speed, but is absolutely no slouch on the track.
if you can afford a 2013 pipe, get one - this motor LOVES the 2013.... especially the Werks 2013. It gets on the pipe immediately off idle and just rips!
I strongly suggest 30% nitro, but choose a quality fuel like Byrons, Werks, TQ seemed to work well.... avoid the pink sidewinder.... doesnt work well with this motor. The 8% sidewinder clear fuel is just fine too.
As for plugs, run the OS #8 medium-hot on most days. If it gets REAL hot outside, go with a slightly cooler plug, or go with somethign hotter when it gets down to say 15 degrees or colder.
You should always tune the engine so that there is a slight plume of smoke when accelerating. The temperature range you'll typically see on the stock head is 240 or so on a hot day and down to 200 on cooler days. 220 is typical. With a Nova head, try 220 max on hot days or down to 180 on cold days. Again, temp is just a guidline - ALWAYS look for the smoke.
You'll typically want to use a 13 tooth bell on bigger tracks, and a 12 tooth bell for something small and tight. This really isn't a 14 tooth motor.
I can't say I recall the needle settings, but I do know that they very DRASTICALLY when switching fuels... like for example when switching from sidewinder pink to werks, i think i had to lean it like 2 turns or something rediculous like that. Don't be afraid to lean the low end a BIT to allow the motor to idle nice and clean. Be careful with the top end - the motor will respond with more rpm and power if you lean it, but you can easily lean it too much, and end up overheating from lack of oil. You'll get to know the feeling of too much power for this motor once you've leaned it to that point and over-temped. This is where you should pay attention to the temps as your guideline.
I found this motor to be a bit of a gas-hog.... typically 6 minute pit stops were required and there was very little fuel left at 6 minutes.
I found that the motor broke in fairly quickly, and liked being pre-heated on the sides untill the head reached about 160 or 170 and then started. It seemed to help make the conrod and bearings last a bit longer.
As the motor wore out, the motor wouldn't idle as nicely, and became a little difficult to tune well on both ends (either the top was tuned or the bottom was, but never both - i always chose to tune the top). They also started to gain more rpm and a bit more top end power as they wore out, and seemed to run very strong right untill the very last second of their life, and then quit and never start again. The werks fuel seemed to provide the best compression and overall results when the motor was old.
For the price, especially in the end, this motor couldn't be touched. They were seen for as little as $110.00 american online. I think I got one off the shelf in a hobby shop for $140.00 CAD after they were discontinued. But they are discontinued, and you will have to have a serious hunt for any replacement parts needed.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
RCC Apprentice

os rg

ok sounds good, thatll help, haha and i just bought a gallon of 30% side winder from the LHS, oh well im gonna have to use it anyways, quick question how do you tune the high end, i know theres the idle needle and then the low speed right beside it, and the other one right on the line in, wont that effect the low speed as well when i adjust that, most of my motor experience has just been tuning to temp and not playing around with the other settings because my other vehicles where just bashers
akramer007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
RCC Contributor

manual for the RG

this might help, it's the manual for the O.S. RG Max .21. But honestly, copy and paste Gumps post to a folder on your computer, or print it out and use it as a bible for this engine, he REALLY knows what he is talking about.
Good luck and i hope it helps out.
Greg Jones
1nferno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.