buggy flaps - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
akramer007
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
buggy flaps

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
ive been doing alot of sand driving and know thinking of making some flaps for the front tires at least, thought of using threaded road and attaching it to my pillow blocks curving around the tire and making a flap out of rubber, this way it would turn with the tire and keep sand spray down, i know everyone says not to run in sand but theres no way i cant, its to much fun and where i do some bashing with my buggy up in cottage country (parry sound area) there is a ton of sand and loose fine gravel as well as large sand pits. my other plan was to make the bracket out of flat aluminum cut in an L shape mounted to the upper swing arm, this would be easier and stronger but not as effective. ust curious on your guys thoughts and if you have already tried this.
akramer007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
imported_rbjeepthing
RCC Apprentice

Haven't tried it but have seen guys with the slash use pieces of bike inner tubes for the flap
imported_rbjeepthing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
HAH! thats funny... i was just thinking about this last night!
I was thinking something along the lines of piano wire bonded to the upper camber link, bent out and around the tire so that it can't interfere with the full suspension travel or steering throw, and then bond an inner tube piece to act as a flap.
If you had c-hubs like the kyosho, it could be done off of there as well.
I don't own any pillow-ball equipped r/c's, so i'm not sure if piano wire could be rigged to that or not.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
JordanAK
RCC Pro Contributor

I was looking at my Mugen and it could be done. I would make a template first in the shape of a "U" for sizing then in 1/16 alum. and mount it to the spindle with a couple small screws then the flap to the alum. "U"
Make sure there is enough clearance for tire growth at rpm.

Gumps pano wire idea could work too.
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Gump
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Just had another thought on this... even more simple.
take two kyosho style exhaust hangar mounts....
http://www.infernosonly.com/Aluminum...p/kyo92511.htm
mount one to each plastic side guard (or also called mudguards) and use piano wire to extend towards the wheels. then mount the inner tube to the wire. then just make slits in the body so you can still install it and voila!
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
akramer007
RCC Apprentice

flaps

good ideas guys. im gonna try and make something up this week, i think mounting to the pillow block would work the best then the flap moves with the tire providing the best protection, i like the inner tube rubber idea or use some really worn out tires to.
akramer007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in