fitting new motors - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Talking fitting new motors

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This may be a really dumb question....however ....
Will any motor fit any car?
I know that sounds pretty generic...
Lets say, i want to put a new motor in my Revo 3.3......
Does it matter what engine i get...(keeping in mind if i want a .21 .28 etc)
What do i need to be aware of...
Quite in the dark on this one
imported_fireblade2020 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
RCC Contributor

For the most part, any motor will fit in any chassis. That being said, it is within the limitations of the car you are using. If you are trying to fit a crazy huge motor in the car then you will likely have to do some modification. If you're going from a .21 to a .28 I dont see why you would have much of an issue.

If you are a racer, you will probably want to use a .21 for the fuel milage advantage. It will have less torque than a .28 but it will be better for racing applications. A good motor to consider for racing would be a Reedy 121VR. The power band is great, it is super reliable, and has unreal fuel milage. If bashing is your thing, who doesn't want to have the torque to be able to do wheel stands right?

Hope it helps,
S.Bortolotti is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Nate T

Generally what Steve says is true, however when dealing with a monster truck, and in your case, the revo, you cannot just dump in any engine you want. The 3.3 I believe is considered a small block engine, and the .21-.28 series motors are big blocks. You will need to buy a big block conversion kit for your revo, either that or buy an engine made for the monster trucks like the OS series of TM engines or RB Traxxas monster series of engines.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Derek R

The revo takes a mid block motor and it is hard to fit a true big block into it. Not to mention that a 28 would tear the stock drive train to pieces as it was not designed for that kind of power. You would have to likely look at robinson transmission gears and hardended CVD's all around to get some reliability out of it.

The simplest solution is to buy a mid block motor kit that bolts right in. The options available are the OS 21tm, Picco 26, Sirio 23 and RB Concepts 523. All of them a serious power improvment over the 3.3, but not to the point where they tear your drivetrain apart. But, more power will always equall more wear and tear on some parts.
Doc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.