What are your thoughts on a Rustler VXL - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
What are your thoughts on a Rustler VXL

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I Have a DF-02 and DF-03 and a cheap brusless motor and ESC but I was thinking of getting a Rustler VXL, my DF-02 is no good any more and I melted my rear Dif in my DF-03 when I went to 3S lipo.

I was hoping a Rustler VXL would be stronger and handle my 3S lipo better. and also since it was 2 WD it would be easy to work on for me beacuse I`m not good with RC building.

Does the Rustler VXL come all pre built, do you know where the cheapest place to get it from web site or hooby shop I got to Toronto and newmarket and Pickering some times.
Scottie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor

Rustler VXL

I had a Rustler VXL but I sold it earlier this year. I do not have a 3-cell Li-Po so I just ran my 2-cell in it. It was very fast and did wheelies easily. It was also tough and very easy to work on. The only thing I replaced were the castor blocks, I hit a curb and broke them, replaced them with RPM ones.

Frankly I got tired of running it before my battery needed charging, runtimes on 2-cell Li-Po were 20 mins +. One thing I did find odd was that the ESC only had a low-voltage cut-off (LVC) for 3-cell, not for the 2-cell Li-Po I was using. The stock tires were soft, I didn't run it that hard or that often (ran it less than 10 times) but the rear tires were worn down pretty badly.

As with almost all Traxxas products it comes prebuilt and RTR. I recommend it if you're into just general bashing/running. Just charge your Li-Po's and keep on running. I now have the E-Revo VXL (1/16th scale) and I have to say I like this one more than the Rustler.

All the hobby stores I frequent (Advance, Hobby Home, Zoom Room) have the Rustler VXL in stock, and they are typically between $350 - $400, + taxes. I got mine at Advance in Scarborough when they had it on special ($299 + tax).
MONKEY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
RCC Contributor

Thankls alot yeah My Local Hobby Shop has it for $348 plus tax right now.
Scottie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

I love my VXL Rustler... I run a 3 cell lipo in it but to do so you have to get the cooling fan for the ESC. No biggy... extra 40 bucks and you are good to go.. I had mine clocked at 82mph, punched the throttle and it wheelied at that speed!
imported_DangerRanger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

great car, dissapointed i traded it, will be getting a new one in the future for sure, very durable and handled well, did well in the snow to, put paddle tires on it and as long as the whole car wasnt hung right up it pushed through quite a bit of snow.
akramer007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
RCC Apprentice

Have a look at the HPI e-firestorm. If you ever wanted to race it it is a little more competitve then the Rustler. Also my buddy purchased a Rustler at the same time as I purchased my Firestorm. His has broke considerably more often then mine and I run mine twice as much. I guess I just wanted to maybe open you up to another option. The only downfall I can see is that the Flix version is only 2cell compatible. However the ESC and motor are the Castle Creations Sidewinder System.
imported_rbjeepthing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
RCC Apprentice

I had some bad experiences with mine, had the esc replaced 3 times under warranty (lvc crapped out twice and the wiring broke once, but their customer service is tops!). The stock caster blocks break easily, I would suggest RPM's and spur gears. If you do get it doen't bother with the traxxas wheelie bar, it only lasts a few runs. Get the swami bar, they are about $40 shipped but they are indestructable and on the 3 cell it will wheelie dead straight untill you can't see it!
imported_turbonutt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.