Nitro - still worth it. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mike L

Total Props: 0
Nitro - still worth it.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I know back in the day when i first bought my nitro car ( Nitro Hawk) some 12-14 years ago it was all the big rage. Given they where a real pain to start and keep running but back then when the only other option was running Nicd batteries which would give you 8 mins run time and take 3 hours to charge.

Back then when you wanted speed and run time you ran Nitro... However these days with Brushless systems and Lip batteries and be being new back into the hobby it seems like nitro really does not have the benefits it use to.

I guess if your bashing or running endurance races maybe?

But top speeds are coming from Electrics, they are easier to keep clean tend to weight less and are much easier to start and keep started.. No tuning it because the weather changed.

Am i missing something or is Electric the way of the future? are their benifits to Nitro that i am missing?
Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice

Nitro's sound and smell more better-er.
imported_cherry is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

I would say right now it is a dead heat. Brushless and lipo's have brought the electric's back up to fighting competition to the nitro's but everyone will have their own personal taste in the end. I prefer the electrics and will be running a electric truggy and buggy this year which is what has gotten me back into the hobby and into 1/8 for the first time. I don't see nitro ever going away but I think you will see the popularity drop a bit. Also with the electrics indoor tracks, specially in the 1/8 scale, might become more popular because there's no need for venting.
imported_mavrick0 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
electric 1/8 with a 4 cell lipo is just as heavy if not heavier than the nitro also
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor

Try doing a half an hour main. Ill take my 3 pit stops over a battery change any day of the week.
imported_Portyansky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor

These discussions (nitro vs electric) usually start out with identifying the strengths/weaknesses of each power plant, but, end up being a "religious war"...

They each have their strengths and weaknesses, one is not "better" than the other...It depends on which you prefer as a power plant and the maintenance that comes along with it. Another factor (if you are interested in racing) is the turnout for each class. At this point in RC history nitro has the largest turnout (most competition).

I have come up with a great solution...RUN BOTH!!!

Michael if you are interested in a test drive of either power plant you are welcome to wheel either of my buggies.
MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Sean R

Nitro all the way, for me its a fun way to race and is an actual scaled down vehicle, you dont see nascar running on batteries lol. I can see the appeal of the electrics for some especially if your not mechanically inclined tuning can be a headache but its part of the fun imo.
ROBILLARD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: kevin m

i ran both at motorama and i had a blast with the electric buggy... no tuning just turn it on and go.. tons of power...sometimes too much
ravagemaxx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mike L

my only concerns came before i spend more money

I bought the slash as at one time 1/10th scale was the way to go.. and thought it was much more popular than it really is. now i don't have plans of racing but i know how addicted i can get to things and i just never know. now i am reading how 1/10th scale stuff is being scaled back and not many places are running it.

I bought the Mantis ( 1/8th scale nitro truggy ) as it seems to be more popular and i liked the fact its slightly bigger... easier to see as i get older

Now, i am reading about people running electric 1/8 scale, now i like to run in the winter and year round which is proving difficult with my nitro truck.

I know i am going to end up buying something else sooner than i want too just wanted to make sure i buy what is popular, no one is running MT's anymore, no one seems to be running much 1/10th scale so just want to buy correctly.
Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
RCC Noob

nothing like the smell of notro in the morning
imported_bogz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.