Diamond in the Rough Drifter - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 07-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Lightbulb Diamond in the Rough Drifter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, I was in my LHS a week or so ago to pick up some random parts for my Mini E-Revo when I saw this little beauty hung up on the Consignment Shelf.

I had a TT-01 previously with a Mamba Max 6900kv System in it and well, ya, it was just a wee bit ridiculous,lol

The Motor eventually crapped out due to bad gearing+Noob driver (as this is a couple years back when I first got in to Hobby Grade R/C's)....

So I thought, now that I have a better knowledge about BL Electrics I would try my hand at building another TT-01 Drifter

The Tag on the TT-01 said "Needs TLC" and they weren't joking,LOL

It's pretty much Bone Stock except for a Low Budget Upgrade Motor & Bearings.The ESC wiring was almost completely stripped and mangled & almost resembled spaghetti none the less, after a few wraps of electrical tape the Wiring no longer looks so, let's say "Flammable",lol

The Front & Rear Bulkheads had a crack in the plastic, thank God for CA Glue(will work good for a temporary fix)

And then last but not least, I noticed this little Bonus!

This TT-01 came with everything to make it run except a Battery & Charger, and it cost me $50

This is going to be a build Thread for my TT-01 Drifter, so far I have the Upper Adjustable A-Arm Set for it and am awaiting a Mamba Sidewinder 4600kv Motor/ESC Combo that I ordered Online.......

My other upgrades will include:

Tamiya Body-(Subaru WRX STI W/light Buckets)
3Racing Hop-Up's-(Steering Rack,Carbon Braces,Solid Differentials, & a few Misc Aluminum Parts like Main Drive Shaft,Dog Bones etc...)
Hitec Steering Servo-(HS-645MG)

More updates and pictures to come!
EST1982 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor

Installing Adjustable A-Arms

Alright well, I couldn't get to sleep last night for some odd reason...and there was nothing good on T.V.(not that there ever really is,lol) so I decided to tackle installing those adjustable a-arms on the TT-01.....

Not a very hard job, and only took a few minutes.
Tools I used:
-Philips Screwdriver
-Lexan Scissors
-Hobby Knife
-Pin Pusher (or whatever it's called)

I now have 2.0 degrees of Camber up front and about 1.0 degrees in the Rear, and the stance looks MUCH better!

The Parts

Installing Front a-arms

Installing Rear a-arms

Finished Product!

More to upgrades to come
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
traxxas guy
RCC Junior Contributor

I like it...Love the BMW body...Reminds me of euro touring cars...

Nice project...Keep up the good work..
traxxas guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

Upgrades Pt2

Okay well, I was in the Zoom Room yesterday & picked up a few more little pieces for my TT-01.

-Tamiya:Metal Motor Mount
-3Racing:Aluminum Center Drive Shaft
-3Racing:Carbon Shock Tower Stiffener (Rear)
-Tamiya:2007 Subaru WRX STI WRC Body W/Light Buckets

Installation of the Aluminum Shaft was first

Next was the Metal Motor Mount

And finally the Carbon Tower Stiffener

This Camera is starting to make me realize just how dirty this TT-01 is,LOL
I may go out and pick up some replacement parts like, Chassis,Bulk Heads etc...just to shine it up a little bit.

Here's the Body & Accessory's that came with it

I'm thinking SpazStix for this body, and some Carbon Fiber Accents(Hood,Trunk,Rear Window Deflector).....but we'll see.

Still LOT'S more to come guy's, thanks for tuning in hopefully my Sidewinder comes in this week some time & I'm contemplating a Acer Bearing Kit, but I'm not sure yet, those kit's are kinda pricey,lol

Old 08-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor

Hey guy's I was told there is a easy way for me to Lock the Rear Differential in my TT-01 by just repositioning one of the Planetary Gears?

Can someone PLEASE give me a more detailed explanation!?!?!?!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor

Back with more changes & Upgrades

Alright well it has been a few weeks so I thought I would post up what I else I have done & changed and updated some pictures.......

Parts I bought
-3Racing Spring Set
-HPI T-Drift Wheels/Tires
-Spare 61T Tamiya Spur

I installed the Soft Springs on the front

And the Medium Springs o the rear

Chassis after the new wheels/Tires were installed

Here is an updated picture of my electronics set up, I made a cradle for my Li-Po & RX out of some old foam to keep everything still

I am sending out the 07 STI body to be painted properly so it will be a week or two until I get it back, so in the mean time I striped off some of the "old stock" decals from the "original" body and re-vamped it with some randoms I had lying around.

It didn't make a world of difference but at least it's not stock

More to come,but that's all for now....thanks for watching guy's!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.