transponder system - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mike L

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would never suggest investing on something you can't get your return on, I don't know the cost of the systems.

At the same time would hate to see you lose a ton of people due to them not wanting to make the change in systems, and its not always that easy to run 2 transponders in
Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor

trakmate transponders are tiny. and laying out all the cash as the organizer is why I am going to buy one myself. we just have a small club of 1/5 guys. when I said I'd buy the system and asked if they would spend $30 on their own transponder, not one said omg $30 is too much to pay....

Dan is an awesome guy. I just met him this summer when I detailed his minivan. I know his partner Steve very well. and you get free software that is programmable (you can add your own sounds for starting, stopping the race, crossing the loop, beating your best lap time etc).

the only downside is you need a loop built to drive under rather than over. we are just using pvc pipe to mount the sensors in. with 1/5 we need extra sensors for the lane width but still a ton cheaper to get setup.
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
RCC Contributor
I am: kevin m

sounds like a desent system.. and the transponders are cheap..again thanks guys.. hope to see u all in the spring...maybe u too
ravagemaxx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
RCC Contributor

Just keep in mind if you do have something like a club race where you will get guys coming out they may not want to shell out extra money when they already own AMB stuff so you might end up loosing out a lot there. And the systems are like the transponders they don't loose their value and sell really fast when they become available.
imported_mavrick0 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Mike L

yea i would never say $30 for a transponder is expensive or that i would not buy one to run as i would buy one for each of my kits being soo close.

However i would be worried about the guys who would maybe come out for the one or two races to fill in thier season and can't run.
Michael_Lambert is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #16
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Originally Posted by bobf24 View Post
you can get Team MRT PTX transponders that work with AMB systems for basically $60 give or take a few bucks,

AMB is called Mylaps I think now so maybe that is why you can't get ahold of them? depending if you plan on having a big race or just fun racing with some buddies, I would stick to AMB or at least an AMB compatable system, just for the fact so many people have them already and I know I personally wouldn't replace the 3 AMB PT's I have to run at one track when 90% of the other tracks have AMB, if its just for fun than it probably doesn't matter as much,
my self and others are in the same boat, MyLaps (AMB) or I won't race. They are the standard world wide why change?
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #17
RCC Expert Contributor

Originally Posted by Pipeous View Post
... we just have a small club of 1/5 guys...
I think this is exactly what I was talking about, if its only going to be a small group of guys that will just be running basically fun races, then the cheapest most readily available system makes sence, but if the plan down the road is to hopefully have some big races or attract people who would be travelling any kind of distance, its probably worth investing the extra money in an AMB system, and like was said the systems hold their value so if it comes to it you would be able to sell it easy,

I know for the Barn Yard, most of the 1/5 guys didnt have transponders so any system could have probably been bought and it woudn't have made a difference, but the long term plan was to build the indoor track and other scales outdoor next year, so it made sence to invest in the AMB system for the future.
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.