Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #41
Jamie James
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jamie G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 3PKS
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I had only talked to Martin briefly on a few occasions while watching the action between my races.

He was a genuinely kind hearted person. Always seemed to be in a good mood and cracking jokes and poking fun.

I would often see him helping others.

People like this are a rarity these days.

My condolences go out to his entire family.

Jamie James is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #42
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Derek P

Total Props: 0
I am very glad that everyone has fond memories of my father. He would be a bit embarrassed to see what people really think of him. He was always such a modest man and never wanted to be the center of attention. He may have a temper at times and was quick to get frustrated but he always had a kindness at heart. As I got older I learned how to deal with him but just telling him straight up to stop, he usually did right away. Some of the things that you guy have written on here are going to make his family and friends so happy. My grandmother and my sister and his sister don’t really know what he rc life was all about other then getting dirty racing cars and being gone all the time. Now they will be able to see how much of an impact he really did have on people and maybe it might make things a bit easier on them.

We should have the arrangements made later on today. I will provide an update with information later on.

Again I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and stories they have provided. It really does mean very very much to me that so many people have taken the time to pay their respects through this avenue. As hard as it is for me to read these things and see the pictures of him, it really does give me a strange sense of peace with things.

Thank you all
Derek Petre
KingCamber is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #43
RCC Contributor
I am: Steve Taylor

Like all of the others on here Derek i am in complete shock. I have had the honour of knowing Martin for about 15-20 years and he was truely one of those people that you never will forget and i am thankful that i can take those memories forward with me for the rest of my life. Martin was the truest form of a gentelman and a greater friend you will never find.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Derek and i to will be spilling some fuel along with gump in his memory!!

Chewy and Jordan, keep your heads up guys. My thoughts are with the both of you as well.

You can take the person but the memories will live on for ever.

R.I.P Martin and "pass on the inside"!! you'll be missed buddy!!!
[B]Steve Taylor
Kyosho America
007 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #44
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: John Summach

Wow. I was floored when I heard this. I have not been this choked up with emotion in a long time. I remember the good 'ol days racing him back at Rattlesnake and of course at Bayview. The Silver Bullet could still throw it down out there at any race. Huge void in the RC community. We will all really miss having him around. Rest in Peace and so sorry for the loss Derek.
Great Hobbies - Team Durango

"Almost Live Race Coverage":

"Finding Your Dream Home"
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #45
RCC Apprentice

My condolences to the Petre family. Derek your father will be greatly missed by all the people that new him in any way. Never spoke a mean word about any one, a easy going all around decent person. I have known Martin since the late 80's and am very shocked and saddened by this news. Please post info about the service

purplemonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #46
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
Derek, my heart goes out to you and your family. Very shocked, can't believe I'm reading this.

Hearing about the loss of a great guy like your Dad is a real reminder to us all that R/C is first and foremost about the people; the cars and racing are just incidental.

I didn't know your Dad that well, only from the times we met up at Sids and the Hobby show over the last 5 years or so. In one of our chats I was surprised to learn that he was also a licensed pilot.

Your Dad leaves behind an empty spot on the driver's stand, but more importantly an empty spot in our hearts.

RIP Martin,

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #47
RCC Junior Contributor

My condolences Derek, i just saw this and i am shocked, will miss him at the track. Always had a great time after the races great guy and will be missed.

George s
Precision Hobbies, JQ products, Pro-line Racing, Byron Fuels, Ofna, Pinnacle Hobbies
imported_georgestilly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #48
RCC Junior Contributor

Very sad condolences to Martin's familly...I hung out with Martin and Chewy at the Canadian Winter Nationals.... Super nice guy and a real loss to the Canadian RC community !
imported_maximus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #49
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris topher

Very sad news indeed. It was always great to turn laps with him and learn from one of the pro's. His passion for the hobby showed, and all of us that raced with him will miss him greatly.

I can remember starting back into the hobby 3 or 4 years ago, watching Martin race ... and thinking to myself ... this is definitely one the guys I have to try and catch. We had some good battles in Monster truck the first season, and then in later years in truggy, and I will always remember him, and his gentle nature.

Derek, my heart goes out to you, and your family.
GearHead is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #50
K & D Action Photo
RCC Senior Contributor

Derek and Family our prayers our with you. For the time I raced with Martin he was the classiest guy out there and such a competitor. The past few years he has been part of our RC photography and always had nice things to say. He will be greatly missed by my wife and I as Im sure by everyone else he raced or socialized with.

RIP Martin
Kevin and Dawn Cobello
K & D Action Photo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.