1/8th KV - Why change? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
MikeZ
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
1/8th KV - Why change?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey all! I am new to 1/8th Electric and would like to know a little more about KV rating and what is a good choice.

I was told that at the Can Champs coming up most people use 1700-2050kv rating.

My question would be why would I get one over the other? I do understand what KV rating does however does it also effect torque?

With the 'turbo' functionality why wouldn't I just go with a lower KV(more torque?) and then boost for more top speed depending on track?

I will be making a purchase soon so I just want to buy the best that will fit my needs.
MikeZ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
tekno
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ashton P

lower kv more torque less speed, higher kv the more top end less torque. Also they are short and long can motors. The long can motors are for truggy and produce more torque than the shorter cans. The short can motors are more for buggy. The higher KV motors need good lipos as well at least 35C and up imo.

Added: I see allot of people with 1700kv or 1900kv when you have a higher kv (ex 2050) motor the power could become too much to handle especially when you race the 1700 or 1900 has a good balance of torque and speed and you can control the car better because, there not too much power but just enough and also i think there more efficient.

bottom line

higher kv= wants speed and to bash
lower kv= more control and wants to race

This is my opinion.
tekno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Aronek
RCC Apprentice

Hi MikeZ,

My first post was today and I don't _really_ know what I'm talking about... but I've been doing a lot of Googling about the same thing (as I need electronics for my 1/8th buggy as well). So somebody please correct me if I have this wrong:

I believe brushless motors are more efficient running high volts at lower amps (where high amps through the same wires = heat = wasted battery power). So even if a 4000kv (kv = 1000 RPM per volt) motor on a 2s battery spins at the same speed as a 2000kv motor on a 4s battery... that 2000kv setup would get a longer runtime as it wastes less battery power on heat.

If you wonder why people don't just run a 4000kv motor on 4s (or higher) battery to get crazy speeds, I think it's because racers are also targetting specific motor RPMs that are efficient and controllable (i.e. uncontrolled wheelspin doesn't help them) - I've seen numbers quoted like 30000-32000 RPM. So, how do you run high "s" battery packs (4+) and still hit that RPM range? You run a lower kv motor. (i.e. 4s = 14.8volts x 2000kv motor = 29600 RPM ...or... 6s = 22.2volts x 1400kv motor = 31080 RPM).

I think one of the downsides of the high "s" batteries is that they tend to be larger and heavier... so you see people run 4s-6s more on 1/8th scale cars because weight and space to mount them are less of an issue. Also, high volt batteries may require more expensive ESC etc...

- Mike
Aronek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
MikeZ
RCC Contributor

Thanks for the posts.

I am familiar with KV values and thank you for confirming that the lower KV is higher torque.

I think I will get a 1900kv Tekin for my 1/8th and see how it goes.
MikeZ is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
imported_kyle
RCC Contributor

1900 or 2050 are great choices but the track I raced on needs a 2050 for the straights,thats the only place I needed it though,nice to have it and just gear down a bit as well.tekin software and gearing will let you tune very well too.I had both so on shorter technical tracks I could swap em out,only a hundred bucks for a motor and nice to have a spare just in case lol.most people should be concerned with esc temps as well they are a good sign of tuning etc...ps my motor never hit over 175 in the hottest days and I was not getting pulled by anyone on the straights.I loved the power and it was geared up a bit stupid
imported_kyle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronek View Post
Hi MikeZ,

My first post was today and I don't _really_ know what I'm talking about... but I've been doing a lot of Googling about the same thing (as I need electronics for my 1/8th buggy as well). So somebody please correct me if I have this wrong:

I believe brushless motors are more efficient running high volts at lower amps (where high amps through the same wires = heat = wasted battery power). So even if a 4000kv (kv = 1000 RPM per volt) motor on a 2s battery spins at the same speed as a 2000kv motor on a 4s battery... that 2000kv setup would get a longer runtime as it wastes less battery power on heat.

If you wonder why people don't just run a 4000kv motor on 4s (or higher) battery to get crazy speeds, I think it's because racers are also targetting specific motor RPMs that are efficient and controllable (i.e. uncontrolled wheelspin doesn't help them) - I've seen numbers quoted like 30000-32000 RPM. So, how do you run high "s" battery packs (4+) and still hit that RPM range? You run a lower kv motor. (i.e. 4s = 14.8volts x 2000kv motor = 29600 RPM ...or... 6s = 22.2volts x 1400kv motor = 31080 RPM).

I think one of the downsides of the high "s" batteries is that they tend to be larger and heavier... so you see people run 4s-6s more on 1/8th scale cars because weight and space to mount them are less of an issue. Also, high volt batteries may require more expensive ESC etc...

- Mike
this is pretty much a bang on description IMO, when I was buying my stuff I was looking at what batteries I wanted to run, and then picked a KV motor that put me in the RPM range I wanted, you will be happy with 1900kv though, if you run indoor 3s or 4s will be perfect and for a big outdoor track 4s or 5s if you want some extra spank,
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Jamie James
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jamie G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 3PKS
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2
I run the Tekin 2050kv on 4s in my 1/8 ebuggy. I think it's a great motor. Good combination of speed and torque. I would not go any bigger personally. I have driven my friends buggy ( we have the same buggy) he has the Tekin 1900kv on 4s. Again, it's a great set up. You'd be happy with either.

What buggy are you looking at getting?
Jamie James is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
BigR
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
With the 'turbo' functionality why wouldn't I just go with a lower KV(more torque?) and then boost for more top speed depending on track?
Boost typically doesn't work very well with 1/8 systems, yielding only about 10% more power to the motor at a great efficiency cost.

It's not quite the fine balance between torque and power that you find in 1/10 motors. 1/8 4-pole setups produce a large enough amount of torque, across all the kV ratings (but remember, no short cans in truggies), it's more a balance between power, drivability, and efficiency.
BigR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
imported_kyle
RCC Contributor

and you can only run boost when in fully sensored mode too on tekin
imported_kyle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Dreaming rc
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dell Paradis
Radio of choice:
Specktrum
# of RCs: 14

Go Nitro,, so much more fun..
TLR 22T
Dreaming rc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.