End of a long road for glorcs - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
End of a long road for glorcs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Never thought it would be me of all people, publicly announcing the end of Canada's longest running 1/8 off-road race series, but it's time. After the conclusion of the final race at Vineland Speedway later this month, the series will be dissolved.

Love it or hate it, the GLORCS series has brought all of us a LOT of terrific memories over the years, and I'm sure that if each and every one of us thought hard enough about it, you'd agree that some of our fondest memories of 1/8 racing involved GLORCS. Years and years of friends, fun stories, and competitive racing action!

When I elected to take over GLORCS this year, I wasn't forecasting an unexpected career change. I simply wasn't able to promote the series like I would have liked too, and to be honest, I just want to get back to racing with my friends like I used too. Sadly, my intentions were genuine, but it didn't materialize the way any of us would have hoped for, and dissolving the series should help to increase registrations at other Ontario venues.

This all leads me to the Martin Petre Memorial Race...

In the wake of Martin's death earlier this year, I felt that I was in a position at the time, to do something nice in his honor, and publicly announced the 1st Annual Martin Petre Memorial Race to be held at Vineland Speedway. I understand that the attendance at the MPM Race will be large, but it's due solely to Martin's name and Vineland's efforts. Not the GLORCS series.

GLORCS will merely be taking the final results of the MPM race and wrapping up the series points for 2011. I want everyone to enjoy this amazimg race for exactly what it is...a tribute to an amazing friend and fellow racer. With the series done and behind us, I hope to see the Martin Petre Memorial race flourish year after year, but as a stand-alone race, NOT as part of GLORCS or any other series. This is out of my hands, but I'd gladly offer my assistance to ensure it's continued success.

Vineland Speedway has worked hard to promote and prepare for Martin's race, and I can't wait to get there and race like everyone else. See you all at the 2011 MPM Race, and thanks for your support of GLORCS over the last 8 fun filled years.
imported_BBFBCAP is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor

1st of all I would like to thank you for all of your efforts. Im sure it was not easy. 2nd, I agree about the MPM race.
3rd, I was just wondering if GLORCS could still exist with some tweaks...
I feel that the numbers have diminished mainly do to the fact at how expensive it has become (take off work, rent a hotel, gas, etc..). I was wondering if GLORCS can become a 1 day race. The way it should work is there would be a cap of entries (120'ish), the series would run on the days that a club runs their normal club races. The members of said club will have priority to register up to a month before the race, then its 1st come 1st serve till the cap is reached. If people want to practice on this track, then they will have to go to one of that tracks club race, or a scheduled practice day. IMO this will help out many local clubs flourish, and help keep GLORCS alive. I have a lot more specific details, that I feel would work. Just dont feel like typing a book.
Personally I would have loved to help organize the idea for next year, but I am moving to Florida to pursue other opportunities. If someone wants to listen, you can pm me. It's basically what RcPro said they were gonna do, but changed to be uniformed with the rest of series.

Anyway, thats my 2c.
imported_Portyansky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
thrash metal
RCC Supreme Contributor

Re 1 day races

I agree with porty that a 1 day race series would be a more attractive venture as im moving away from the long drawn out 3 day events and you are right in that it gets expensive participating in 5-7 of them over the course of the season. Not to mention not everyone has weekends off to even race them in the first place.

I know originally rc pro was supposed to be one day events and it was a great idea and a viable alternative to the racer who couldnt afford the costs of participating in glorcs but even rc pro has slowly become a series of 3 day races although theres only 4 as opposed to glorcs having 2-3 more events in a season.

Im hoping the end of glorcs will help to create one strong nation wide series and rc pro is truely this . Now we wont have 2 different series competing against one another to draw racers . This should make rc pro even more strong with even more racers participating . Hopefully this will draw all the top tracks to want to hold an rc pro race
thrash metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
A 1 day race series has long been desired since the introduction of competing weekend series' in our region. It has been discussed at length, and it seems that the opportunity has arisen for a 1 day, multiple track series to exist. However, that series will not be GLORCS, since its oficially dissolved. Instead, this is an open opportunity for those with the motivation and available time to dedicate to create a new experience for southern ontario and regional racers.
For anyone who wants to step up to take the reigns, I will continue to volunteer my time and support as I have done with GLORCS in the past, and I'm sure theres several others who will do the same. Should a 1 day series fail to appear, then so bi it.
I want to take this opportunity to publically thank Kevin for his efforts this year, as well as Craig, Todd, Steve, Marc and MANY volunteers from years past who helped make this series run year after year. This series is the very reason I am a sponsored driver and a part of this comunity, and has spurred on many others to form teams and aquire sponsorships and push the envelope of racing in our region. There will never be another GLORCS, but racing will go on.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor

Kevin, Craig, Steve, Todd, Gump, Brian, Marc and the many others I am forgeting thank you for some AWESOME memories. I was very proud to be a big part of Glorcs with my Sprucewood Invitational that ran for 8 years and then like you Kevin life got in the way and the comitment could just not be there.

Kevin it is not a matter of what was done wrong, what matters is that you stepped up when no one else did and did what you could with the time you had and that is what racers will remember so you should take great pride in that!!
David McLean
Team Kyosho Canada
Mac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I want to give Kevin a huge thanks for inviting me to the GLORCS season this year. It's always been great having him out to Vineland.

Hopefully with this monkey off his back, you will be able to dedicate more time to making the hobby enjoyable for yourself, and helping that little guy you brought out a few weeks back. Like you said, he's the next generation.

I also want to thank you for helping me get the MPM set up. Martin is a part of this track. Maybe more then most of you know. I will continue to hold the MPM each year. As this hobby grows, new blood needs to know the people that built the foundations. He will be honoured.

This event is going to be a blow out, No...a party!
Bon fires, BBQ's, the lake, stereo's, Nitro, Topless Kevin (eww). Let's do it like the Irish do. Celebrate the passing of friends. Celebrate the life. Celebrate the good memories. In this case, our friend Martin, and our series GLORCS.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor

Great Words, Great Memories and lots of good friends ! Thanks to everyone over the years for hell of a good time !

3 day weekends were almost always $300 weekends... and I sleep in a tent ! [or the Chateau Cavilier] Ya, I know im sounding like a cheap-skate !

Martin would want us to have a Crazy Fun Weeekend ! Oh Ya !
Mugen Seiki Racing - Team Driver
SkyCraft Hobbies - Burlington
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor

Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
... Topless Kevin (eww)...
BAAAHAHAAAA...If it's hot, you can bank on me running around with my moobs out Joe. I'm sure I'll make Marlene make that silly face again. LMAO...
Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris topher

Well this is sad news ... the possibility of moobs, and the end of the Glorcs era. I know there are many involved in Glorcs over the years, and I couldn't even begin to know where to start, so a big thank you to all involved in starting it up, and keeping it going for all those years. Thank you for giving us an organized series to compete in.

When I started a few years back. This was the only game in town, aside from club racing. And to top it off ... I think the Sprucewood Invitational was my first offroad race ... not that I was competitive, just that I was in attendance, and had a blast. In fact ... I think that is where I caught the RC sickness.

Kevin, hats off to you sir for stepping in and trying to keep Glorcs running in an ever diluting market, it was going be a tough go no matter how you slice it. Big Thanks to you Kevin. You are an embassador to the hobby.

I will do my best to be out in support of the MPM. The Vineland build looks AWESOME and I can't wait ! Well done Joe and crew !
I can remember years ago when breaking into offroad and racing MT, I would benchmark myself against Martin. Watching him, studying his lines and trying to find out where he was faster and how I might make up a bit of time. Damn that revo is fast ... or was it just Martin. And then a year or so later getting the occasional nod from him for a race well run, and somehow thats all I needed to have a feeling of accomplishment. That somehow I had arrived. Or at the very least become a little bit more competitive and Martin was keeping his eye on me. Thanks Martin.
GearHead is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
RCC Supreme Contributor

Thanks everyone, for your kind words.

Truth be told, I just happened to lead a life that allowed me (at the time) to carry on with the series. Like I mentioned earlier, that all came to a screeching halt with the whole career change thing.

Those who really know me would tell you, I'm just a guy who likes to give where I can, and help other people out. That's all I was doing with GLORCS, but the real credit for the series goes to those who were involved in running it back when it was..THE BOMB!!!

Anyways, thanks again fellas and I'll see ya's next weekend at the MPM. IT'S TIME TO RACE!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.