Otterville Raceway has the opportunity to go clay!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
imported_blakley traxx
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Question Otterville Raceway has the opportunity to go clay!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi guys....
As many of you know my track is up and running and i have had a great turnout this past weekend track of course took a huge beating due to the fact that it is not a clay i have been on the hunt for something better than my so called " sand box" since it is pretty much sandy topsoil that i seem to get ...not want....
About a half mile down the road from me is a huge pile of clay from a dairy farmer who made an addition to his house(recently in the last week) i stopped to talk to him about 20mins ago...he says i can have it all if i want....and he will even deliver it to me as far as i know for free but i will give him something for it for fuel cost anyhow....
So my question to you guys is do you want me to convert my track to clay????
i know it will be alot of work to implement this as i will need to put about prolly 6inches over my existing layout and i will need to level it and pack it and i expect this project wont be done in a day either could take a couple weeks i imagine(by myself)...thing is if im really gonna do this i need to get it done before planting season goes into full swing otherwise the track will not re-open till june...honestly cant say for sure...just
what im getting at here is there help out there as i can start this saturday(i know the big tillsonburg race is on)....i will need a heavy duty roller and some not certain i want to use my tractor for this as it could take awhile i might try to borrow my dad's skid steer for this to speed things up...
it all up in the air right now and i need to let the farmer know by friday nite as well and deciding myself if im gonna go this route....
i think long term the track will hold up 10x better than what i have now but that also means the layout will stay the same to for this year and maybe is a fun layout anyways....

For the most part drainage has never been a problem its always been washouts and high track maintenance as you have seen with my track layout as its not built on flat ground......if i do decide to go this route i will indeed have to look at filling in those low spots on the upper and lower portions of the track where the water pools before soaking in the ground...i definetely want to make sure when the water runs down the hill that it makes it all the way down....i just have to make sure that it does not end up on the front lawn like all the topsoil did a few
im going to look into hiring a bulldozer for a few hours and have him level the track to fill in those low spots that could pose a threat to drainage issues then see about bringing in clay and have him level it all out over the whole track...i think this would save me an enormous amount of time...i just want to price it out first to see if its an option as its all coming outta the club funds raised so im tapped out!!!
i already spend too much time on the track(as the wife says)so im looking for a
so ive basically gotten one piece of feedback so far and thats there anything else to say this a step in the right direction going with clay....
i just want to be sure that you guys would like to see clay rather than sand ,gravel, topsoil,,glass,bricks etc.....yeah im fed up with looking at it when i walk the track and see this...
plan A --if bulldozer goes as planned then i will need a couple guys out for tuesday nite/wednesday nite to pull up all the big O and rubber mats off the track then thursday will be levelling track where needed and bringing in clay(or friday as well)...then saturday would be build jumps and whoops outta clay and pack er down with industrial packer and then water it down (or wait for rain would be then racing the following weekend.....perfect world easier to say than
plan b-- wait till weekend to start the project!!!
plan c-- dont do
its a really fun track to run on but is it hurting your gear/or causing premature wear ,is more of what im gettting at.....i have been running this track like this for 3 years already with very few complaints.....
more feedback please and thanks so far...
imported_blakley traxx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
GO with clay.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.