Worse than UPS, really! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 2
Worse than UPS, really!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here's a gripe to help others cope with their UPS stories! Ordered a set of wheels from France, 40+ Euro! Paid shipping France 44+ Euro. Received package, and grief from wife for spending so much on "those".

Two weeks later received an invoice from TNT Express, almost 40 Cdn in brokerage fees CBF15$, dispursement fees DCF 10$, customs duty fees $3, GST TNT services GST 3$ plus GST on top of GST 6$ ..............

I believe I have the most expensive plastic wheels on a 1/4 scale aircraft EVER and top the pile re shipping nightmares LOL. Using UPS at least we know we get screwed on arrival LOL.

Rant over
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Worse than UPS, really!

Who is TNT Express? I've never heard of them before.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Wizzard

Total Props: 4

Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Who is TNT Express? I've never heard of them before.

Overseas carrier/broker that is why he got the invoice for his shipment.

Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

UPS is the process of aquiring TNT so I am sure the fees will increase.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Geoff H
# of RCs: 2

Tnt tried the same thing with me last year on 2 $20 orders. A month or so after the 2nd order I got an invoice for both shipments for tax, brokerage, disbursement etc. At that time there was no mention on their website of any disbursement or handling fees being applied to shipments.

Check out out section 9.3 of their terms and conditions,

“9.3. Any customs duties, taxes (including but not limited to VAT if applicable), penalties, storage charges or other expenses we incur as a result of the actions of customs or other governmental authorities or your failure and/or the receiver's failure to provide proper documentation and/or to obtain the required licence or permit will be charged to you or the receiver of the shipment. In the event that we decide to charge the receiver and the receiver refuses to pay the incurred charges you agree to pay them to us together with our fee for the administration involved as well as any extra costs we will incur. Upon our first request you will provide a proper guarantee for any of the duties, taxes, penalties, storage charges or any other expenses set out in this condition.”

They state "Any expenses we incur as a result of the actions of customs will be charged to shipper or the receiver."
My argument was the disbursment and brokerage fees where not incurred to them. They have changed their terms in the last year to include "fee for the administration involved " but as that section reads this only applies to the sender when the receiver refuses to pay the incurred charges.

I called them and tried to find out more. They had no knowledgeable answers. I told them per their terms and conditions I refused to pay the fees and they could go to the sender. They repeatedly said I had no right to refuse to payment of fees. I told them had I knew of the fees I would have refused delivery of the packages and that they could come and pick up the items (months after delivery) and return them to sender. They never showed.

I sent them money to pay for the tax and a letter explaining why I would not pay the rest of the fees. Of course they never replied to my letters and sent outstanding bills threatening to send them to collections.

This was part of my letter to them,

“The brokerage and disbursement fees were not incurred to you but added in excess of the previously paid shipping price. I was not notified of these fees at the time of delivery nor before shipping could I find any mention where you state they will be charged. Furthermore I never agreed prior or post shipping to pay them.
I did not give you consent to open any form of credit or account in my name with your business.
Therefore I refuse to pay these charges and you can charge the shipper as per your terms and conditions.”

For about 6 months they kept sending outstanding bills and I never replied. They eventually gave up and it was never sent to collections.

I doubt my letters or arguments had anything to do with them giving up but I felt better sending them as there was no way I was going to pay them.

Last edited by GeoffH; 10-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.
GeoffH is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Steve H.

I spent some time on the phone myself delivering the same concerns as you have shared, after asking, "who the heck is TNT" too.

Scally wags, now UPS is going to get their hands in it, oh boy!

I'll probably just pay it!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

Plastic Wheels with Rubber Tires I hope.

Brian T.
It's All About Ballance
Rellic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
RCC Noob
I am: Curtis C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

ahh the old freight, Duties and taxes. As a rule I will not purchase anything unless the web sites freight terms are clearly posted and I always have whatever the product is sent via the Post Office.
In the case above TNT hasn't stopped trying to collect their money and I really hate to say this but sometime in the future when the interest has accrued to the point of being of any value you will get a collector calling.

As a rule you should always have the expectation that any duties, brokerage fees or
taxes are the purchasers responsibility. If you are unsure of that ask before you buy.
Certainly will help keep the purchase in an "as expected" aspect.
FreakyDude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

Thanks for the heads up.

Now I know to just say "NO" to TNT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JustSayNo1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	175013  
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.