Number of Charges/Discharges - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: John M.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5
Question Number of Charges/Discharges

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This question I am sure has been asked before. Also, because of the variables involved, I am sure it will be difficult to answer. I want to know how many charges/discharges can one expect from a LiPo? I have heard up to a 1000 which I believe to be ridiculous to about 100 which I feel might be more like it.

I keep very accurate charging records. I have 3 - 4-cell, 2650 mAp Lipo batteries that I use in my extreme flight plane. I do everything by the book re. charging etc. and so far I have 80 charges/discharges on each battery. In my opinion they are still doing fine and although my season is over, I expect to use them next season or at least for part of it. (I would prefer to not name the brand of battery). . .

What is your experience re. the number of charges/discharges one might expect from this type of battery used to fly a plane. Let's talk "ball park" numbers because there is probably no way to be even close to exact. I am just looking for some idea here, so the brand of battery is not important. I think the answer lies somewhere between 50 and 200. . . .
Ancaster Sport Flyer... "your attitude affects your altitude!"
JohnM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 4
Re: Number of Charges/Discharges

Last year I put 74 flights per lipo on a set of 5 packs. If lipos lasted 1000 charge/discharge cycles, I would be flying for over 10 years on this set. I can't see how anyone could actually put that many flights on them without an incident.
Tower Hobbies stated that one particular econo brand would last 100 flights without any deterioration in performance; while the premium packs lasted a minimum of 300. Obviously the manufacturer was able to determine their longevity ???

Very few fliers actually log their flights and then even fewer fly enough in order to determine the longevity of lipos (small sample size).

From my perspective, lipos are inexpensive. I've logged over 660 flights this year, using nitro helis. Cost per flight exceeds $2. If I compared this to a similar size electric, say using a $100 lipo and it lasted only 100 flights, then, lipos would be half the cost. Only other factor would be that the nitro powered heli would fly for 9 minutes versus the electric which probably would be much shorter.

Bottom line for me: the number of cycles isn't important since the cost isn't an important factor in my case.

Last edited by tskca; 11-01-2012 at 02:14 PM.
tskca is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I'm not that careful when it comes to recording the number of flights I have per pack, but my experience has been about 2 seasons of flying bfore they start to lose thier capacity
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

It is an interesting question which I have been considering lately as well. I bought 4 identical 4000 mah 4S lipos last February after a good experience with the 2 of the same brand purchased the previous summer. I estimate each of the 4 has about 75 flights on them. However, 2 of them have more or less become useless in the past few weeks as they experience such a large voltage drop under load that anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 mins after take off they have only enough power to limp back to the runway. All have been flown/charged similarly & have never experienced any crashes. They are not puffed or deformed in any visible way. This level of longevity is very disappointing as I and my flying buddies have some packs with several hundred flights on them over 3+ years. I experienced a somewhat similar short lipo life with two others a couple of years ago. The common factor is that both the current ones and previous ones were high discharge lipos - 40C for current set. Is this a common experience with high C lipos? The longer lived lipos were all in the 20C range. Has anyone ever had any success contacting the retailers to complain about this sort of thing?

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.