Re-starting Avro Arrow build - Page 17 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 03-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #161
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It appears the new gelcoat has cured properly. I did apply the new gelcoat the other day, but my first attempt did not work out, the gelcoat cured unevenly as I had accidentally applied it in too thin a coat in some areas, so it pulled. So after cleaning up the plug a third time 😁
I poured the gelcoat on this time and brushed it to a fairly even thickness, then as soon as it began to set up, I applied a second coat. This morning, the results look very good, quite happy with it. So, today, I will laminate the surface veil and the two layers of matting. Tomorrow, the cross bracing. Tomorrow night, if all goes well, I'll pop the mould open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	871370  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #162
artchristic2
RCC Apprentice

I am: Eugene Christopher
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 2

Hi John;

I too do not want to have them out of low cost.
Giving this gear project to a trade school for projet.
I`ll see what they come up with.
No cost to me since this is volenteer project work.
I`ll keep you informed if you like and everyone else.

Nice to see that you have made quite a defeat with just Drawings to work from.
Very impressed with your work.
Can`t wait to see the finished project.
Your the first to bring back the Avro Arrow spirit.
artchristic2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #163
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

This one is for Larry, if you are still in the design stage for your twin 70 mm, do not build it at 1/16 th scale, even at that size, it will be very cramped inside. I have a fully composite kit that is in that scale but powered by a single 90 mm and it just fits top and bottom. But at that scale, no landing gear. I also have two foam versions in kits, one is a pusher prop design and it sounds like a Stryker on steroids, goes literally straight up until you command it to level out. Also, the second version is twin 50 mm EDF. I looked at 70 mm but with the foam thickness of only 1/2 " there really isn't much clearance for one, and no side clearance for two to be mounted on rails.

So, before finalizing the size, figure out the clearances. I would most definitely do it out of foam though. Much faster and just as scale in the end.

This is the fully composite version, 90 mm
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	45
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	871378  
Old 03-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #164
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

The pusher prop version
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	30
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	871386  
Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #165
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

And the twin 50 mm EDF version. The foam models fly "nicer" than the fiberglass version, but the fiberglass model is way faster. They are all bungee launch designs.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	52
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	871402  
Old 03-12-2016, 12:41 PM   #166
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Got everything set up this morning and by 8:00 a.m., I'm slopping the resin. Pictures show me applying the first layer of matting which is called surface veil. It's a very fine matting and important, you must get all the airbubbles out or the gelcoat finish will be like the shell of an egg. Not the end of the world, but you will need to repair it from inside the mould which is a pain if its on a panel line or some other detail. The metal roller is splined and sliced so there are dozens of pins that help the air bubbles escape as you lightly roll it over the surface. It is a must have tool when making moulds.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	64
Size:	966.6 KB
ID:	871922  
Old 03-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #167
larry baraniuk
RCC Noob

I am: Larry

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
This one is for Larry, if you are still in the design stage for your twin 70 mm, do not build it at 1/16 th scale, even at that size, it will be very cramped inside. I have a fully composite kit that is in that scale but powered by a single 90 mm and it just fits top and bottom. But at that scale, no landing gear. I also have two foam versions in kits, one is a pusher prop design and it sounds like a Stryker on steroids, goes literally straight up until you command it to level out. Also, the second version is twin 50 mm EDF. I looked at 70 mm but with the foam thickness of only 1/2 " there really isn't much clearance for one, and no side clearance for two to be mounted on rails.

So, before finalizing the size, figure out the clearances. I would most definitely do it out of foam though. Much faster and just as scale in the end.

This is the fully composite version, 90 mm
Actually I was planning on going with 1/16th scale with the twin 70 mm EDF version.
Here are some pictures of my 2nd twin 50 mm edf build that I didn't finish because I realized that I needed more power than what 50 mm edfs can put out.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	028_2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	872370  

Last edited by larry baraniuk; 03-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.
larry baraniuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #168
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Go bigger, with the power the newer 70 mm fans produce you can get away with bigger, just keep the model as light as possible. I see your model is basically solid foam, you get alot of extra weight doing it that way. What are you using as a finish, is it epoxy?

I don't have the pictures on my IPad but in the electric jet forum, I posted lots showing the structure of my Arrow. Check it out if you havent already. The airframe is very light and strong.

Once I get home, I'm going to try and revamp my foam Arrow for a twin 64 mm or twin 70 mm. The wall thickness will get a lot thinner so the hot wire templates will need to be redone. Also, the wing and the vertical fin will be more scale instead of being just a flat sheet sanded to shape. Going to stay with the 1/16th scale because I have all the vacuform moulds already done.

Figure on doing a very limited run on the kits. Will pay for some of my costs on the turbine Arrow.

Last edited by Dutkoski; 03-12-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #169
larry baraniuk
RCC Noob

I am: Larry

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
Go bigger, with the power the newer 70 mm fans produce you can get away with bigger, just keep the model as light as possible. I see your model is basically solid foam, you get alot of extra weight doing it that way. What are you using as a finish, is it epoxy?

I don't have the pictures on my IPad but in the electric jet forum, I posted lots showing the structure of my Arrow. Check it out if you havent already. The airframe is very light and strong.

Once I get home, I'm going to try and revamp my foam Arrow for a twin 64 mm or twin 70 mm. The wall thickness will get a lot thinner so the hot wire templates will need to be redone. Also, the wing and the vertical fin will be more scale instead of being just a flat sheet sanded to shape. Going to stay with the 1/16th scale because I have all the vacuform moulds already done.

Figure on doing a very limited run on the kits. Will pay for some of my costs on the turbine Arrow.
I just found my twin 70 mm edf former print outs and they are 1/14th scale
I use to use Z poxy but switched to Aeropoxy. I'll check into your posts and on the electric jet forum. Thanks again !
larry baraniuk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #170
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

After several set backs, I finally got the moukd made, so tomorrow will be like Christmas, opening it up. Might need my nieghbour and brother in law for some extra strength in getting it off the plug.

Only took 7 gallons of resin........
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	38
Size:	732.1 KB
ID:	873922  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.