Re-starting Avro Arrow build - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I almost forgot, for you electric guys, I have been testing the new Mega 120 II motor in the AP-1200 which is a 120 mm EDF unit. On 12 cells, it produced over 6000 watts with a static thrust of 18.4 lbs but the amp draw was a bit high at 139 amps, but take away one cell, on 11 cells, it still produced 4700 watts of power with a static thrust of 15.2 lbs but at only 110 amps which is well within the motors limits. I have another motor being delivered that has a KV that is about 100 rpm less, I believe it will handle the 12 cell pack, maybe even a 13 cell setup, but then the problem is getting a ESC to handle more than 12 cells.

Anyway, a twin setup is very possible. I intend to build both power systems, but the electric way will be much lighter for obvious reasons. Just imagine the size of the bungee cord to launch this puppy........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP1200 setup in test rig.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	177041  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 11-11-2012 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Talking Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

This past week has been a bit hectic around here so didn't get much done, but tonight I found myself un-busy, nobody asking me to do something them, so spent the whole evening sanding the fuselage plug. Primarily my goal tonight was to remove all of the old filler on the bottom and repair the wood stripping that had come away from the tail former. This was accomplished, had to empty the shop vac twice there was so much fine dust.

I now have most of the bottom coated in a thin layer of bondo. Tomorrow night I'll be sanding that and hopefully get the rear section all sculpted and sanded.

I did get the nose section fitted between the nacelles nice and snug. Will have to drive in some long screws to hold it in place and then blend the surfaces of the two sections.

Once this is all done, I'll post some pictures. In the mean time, here are a couple of images from when the project began before 2000. One shows the stations being attached to the keel, the other shows the plug as it originally ended up looking with the foam wings and vertical fin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Starting Original Plug for posting.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	179254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arrow Plug in Original Condition for posting.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	179255  
Old 11-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 13

I see you had scale airfoils cut as foam cores for the wings back then, what are your plans and thoughts now on wing airfoil aspect, which way are you thinking on going...I remember seeing her back in late 90's and that was first time I ever laid my eyes on such massive rc Arrow's model....now it's been so long, I don't remember what I went your house for....
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #14
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well, most guys have advised me that a non-scale airfoil would be best and I would have to agree. However, only the scale airfoil will follow the fuselage upper surface. The airfoil on the EDF version which is considerably smaller has the scale airfoil and it does fly straight as an arrow. It seems stable at speed and Ted advises the problem with the model is only at slower speeds. It becomes a bit of a hand full. I personally think it is a combination of the airfoil and the weight of the original which was a full pound heavier than a production copy. That's quite a bit considering the size of the model.

I do know the full size aircraft airfoil flew on the shock wave and not on generating lots of lift.

But, here's my thoughts, if don't try it with the scale wing, I'll never know and that will bug the heck out of me. Since I'm not going to mold in a airfoil root on the fuselage, it'll be flat, then changing over to a none scale wing will not affect the fiberglass fuselage molding. You can use whatever airfoil you want then.

I have to give it a try........
Old 11-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Was doing some thinking in regards to the style of retracts, have decided on electric instead of air as they seem to be coming of age in reliability. Also you can govern the speed easily from what I think can be done.

To put the mechanics of the retract in the thicker portion of the wing, I believe a stand-off style with the main strut attached to a pivot axle and then being outside the actual retract mechanism will do the trick.

Attached is a concept drawing I whipped up, not to scale just some thoughts on the screen. Any constructive input is appreciated. I believe I can actually make these in the home workshop. I might even do the aluminum structure out of molded carbon fiber and that would make it a one piece frame work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avro Arrow Retract Concept Drawing.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	179470  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Realized I have to make the in-board wing sections out of foam cores so I can finish the contouring of the forward wing and make the fairings that are at the trailing edge and fill the gap between the elevator and the fuselage. So I re-cut the template that I had made that was at the center line of the fuselage. I cut it down from 67" to 55.75". I intend to make the wing slightly thicker than scale so I can have more space for the landing gear and a deeper spar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Foam Core Templates 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	179477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam Core Templates 1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	179478  
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Hey guys, not much done on the Arrow for the past two weeks, reno work has kept me busy, but today I spent the good part of the day sanding and re-shaping. Which brings me to this post. Because the Arrow has two engines the lower section of the engine bays are actually sorta seperate but they share the same profile. This profile is 32" long separated by a shallow tunnel. Here was my problem, getting the identical curvature for both sides.
So, I made this profile tool out of some 3/4" pine and a bunch of screws. I blunted the points of the screws and simply aligned the pine stick to the datum on the drawing and with a small block of wood, screwed in the screws until they touched the wood block that was aligned to the drawing.
Then it was a simple task to re-sand the shape of the plug to match the gauge. You can use this method on any other profiles as well when you need to duplicate shapes. I know most of you may know how to do this but I figured some chaps may fine the info useful.
As you can see from the patch of filler that is now remaining, I did have to remove quite a bit of old filler. Once all is done, I'll need to apply a very thin coat of bondo over the entire area so I can sand it very smooth without seeing the seams in the wood strips.
Tomorrow I'll attack the other side, but now the beer fridge is calling . . . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Home Made Template Gauge 3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	181731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Made Template Gauge 2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	181732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Made Template Gauge 1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	181733  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 12-16-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #18
Ted Anton
RCC Contributor

I am: Ted A
Radio of choice:
jr
# of RCs: 27

Total Props: 0

Im really starting to worry about you buddy..... now your hearing voices talking beer cans ?
Ted Anton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Really cool can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for keeping some of our canadian history alive
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Have fun and be safe.

Last edited by Dutkoski; 12-26-2012 at 10:30 AM. Reason: changing content

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.