Re-starting Avro Arrow build - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #31
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 7
Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yeah, I believe I spoke to him many years ago about the project. I remember he advised me to watch out when I put into a dive, it really accelerates.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #32
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
JR 12x
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
I have the CG set on both my pusher and my EDF Arrow set at just forward of the dog tooth, about 22% - 21% and that seems to work really nice. The elevator is set so there is lots of movement but I have the expo set at 75% which tames the model down but give me lots of control at the slower speed when needed, same with the ailerons. I tried to use the same total throws as shown on the scale drawings. I'll be transferring these over to this one when the time comes.

As far as the main struts are concerned, well, I'm going to give it a shot, went to Busy Bee today and looked at some small metal lathes and a small milling machine that will do the trick if my machine shop buddy is too busy to help out. They own a cottage and spend a lot of time near Huntsville and I don't like relying on others to help out when I'm on a time line. It never seems to work out.

Right now the plug is on it's back so I can get the rear portion sculpted and fashion those two large vents on the bottom.
to bad you don't live closer I have a full machine shop in my basement digital readouts on the mill and a 36 lathe. you will need digital read outs to make anything worth while in a reasonable amount of time. you would be welcome but it's a 2 hr drive. I have helped many of my friends out with there projects .shame to have to buy all those tools to make a couple of pieces. Roger
Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #33
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Yeah, but I look at it as another venture and I like to learn how to do things. I haven't done any real metal work since high school, so I'm kinda looking forward to the challenge.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #34
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12x

well make sure you get the digital readouts and a rotary table my two favorite tools. if you need any advice I would be glad to help or if you need a couple of lessons LOL . one piece of advice ,those small mills and lathes are not much good unless doing jewelry 1/8" cuts .010 " deep, it would take you a lifetime to make anything. it takes a huge mill to do even a moderate piece of work . Mine is a full size mill must weigh 1500lbs and I am limited to 1/2-3/4 " cutter . the small machines flex and chatter and just mangle everything LOL. I find machining a lot of fun once you get going .takes a while to get the basics down but after that you want to machine everything. cheers Roger
Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Well Roger, getting this baby mill is a big step up from what I have been using, one of those cheap cross feed vises and my drill press. I actually did pretty good with it, I just went really slowly with the feed and literally just a shaving thickness of material. Mind you, aluminum and brass is easy to shape.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #36
RAMJET
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12x

yeah I understand and wish you all the best . I started the same way with my little drill press and like you it was not long before I felt I needed something more , the problem is those small mills only have the capacity of a drill press ,it took me hours of shimming and modding the machine before I gave up there was way to much flex and slop in everything ,you could no way cut anything more than amuminum . I was just as frustrated with the small mill and after having to buy all the tooling it was a expensive lesson. my small mill was the gear head version with the round pillar from busy bee must have weighed 4-500 lbs. .anyway I would insist on being able to try the machine first before purchase. I just hate to see s fellow modeler go through the same thing I did . and by the way that plane is super cool keep up the good work Roger
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #37
DarthAnal
RCC Apprentice

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Any good retailer should take the time to fully demonstrate the product with a bit of hands-on time upon request. Dropping some serious change on a tool without any knowledge is like buying a car from the showroom floor wihout researching the models and taking it for a test drive.
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #38
Dutkoski
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I hope they will, but I'm not holding my breathe even though they have the machines all set up for display. At any rate, my friend who has the machine shop hobby will be going with me to guide me through the sale of what I should buy and what I should leave until later. But all this will take place next month when I have some spending cash put aside.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #39
DarthAnal
RCC Apprentice

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Having a shopping-buddy who can help you filter out the information from the marketeering and steer you to the essentials rather than the glitz is a great help.

Sort of like the stereotype of women shopping together.
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
Danyel1962
RCC Noob

I am: DEL.THIS DUPLICATE
Radio of choice:

Smile Re: Re-starting Avro Arrow build

May have something interesting for you ....

regards
Danyel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture06.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	189946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture01.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	189947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture02.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	189948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture03.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	189949  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture04.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	189950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture05.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	189951  

Last edited by Danyel1962; 02-10-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Resize pics sorry for them being so big.
Danyel1962 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.