RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff B
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Unhappy Test flight gone bad

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello everyone

Just got back from the flying field. Thought it was a good day to try my new plane, a luscomb. It was dead calm on the ground, would not move a surveyers tape on a stick. It was a easy take off, just like my champ. Got it to tree top high, 6m, nice and smooth just a slight pull to the left. Was waiting for more altitude before I try to set the trim. Got a few metres higher and trouble started. There was wind up there above the tree tops, not moving the trees but it was there and it was dirty. The poor plane started bouncing about from the wind turbulance. It was all I could do to keep it under control. Finely got it stable on a downwind run so I could do a quick landing and save the plane. As soon as I turned back upwind it got it by a hard down draft that pionted it into the ground. As I was coming in for a landing I had no altitude and could not pull up in time. And so ends the first and last flight of the plane. A direct nose first into the ground.

The fuselage is a write off. It was a fibre glass and epoxy fuse. She smashed the nose right in on her. Making a hole the size of the motor and you can see spits down both sides and the joining line of the two halves. All the internal parts are nocked off and in the nose of the plane.

To my shock the wings and tail assembly did not get hurt. So I am wondering if it is possible to make a new balsa fuse for it and use the wing and parts? If I make a fuse like the stick, square box with taper, do you think it will work?

Thanks for the help.

trike_flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Manfred W
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 1
Re: Test flight gone bad

I would think it should work as long you get your CG correct.
It's a bummer when that happens, I lost a Radian that way.
Good luck
Mannywest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-6G
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 6

If it was me, I would probably be grabbing some fiberglass cloth and a bottle of CA thin glue
and doing a repair job. Some sanding and body filler and maybe a pint job
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff B
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

The damage it too bad to repair. With the big hole in the front you would have to get your hand in to the nose to glass it back shut. I don't know about you, but I do not have kid size hands that will fit in it. Had a hard enough time getting the motor in. From all the splits in it, you would have to glass the entire inside of the nose to fix it and still have to remount the servos. I think I will go with a new fuse. Just have to give it a quick draw and biuld.

trike_flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

Why not? Just draw up a simple structure with the same basic proportions, balance it as per the plans and it should fly just fine. I would also try to figure out and correct the problem in terms of why a bit of wind affected this plane. Unless you only fly indoors you have to be prepared for dealing with the wind. Are you flying on your own or with a MAAC club? Get someone to buddy box you on windy days until you feel comfortable. When I teach I find that students have a unecessary fear of wind. But if you want to fly in Alberta you better learn to fly in the wind!

BTW what you described could also be a classic case of a stall on the down wind turn. You need to keep the speed up as you go down wind and as you make you turn onto base and then final. The downwind run in a heavy breeze can fool you because the plane seems to be going real fast so a common mistake is to throttle back too much in an effort to slow it down. Then as you make your turn back towards the runway your actual airspeed is too slow with predictable bad outcomes...

Sucks to lose a plane! Hope you can get it back in the air soon!
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at www.jramericas.com
Trumpetman is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11

Jeff, if you have maac I have a field west of leduc on hiway 623. Me or the boys are always happy to help out a fellow rc'er wanting to maiden a plane. Our club is not so busy so we always only let one bird in the air for a first flight anyway.

Sorry about your plane fuse . fix it and fly it again
Canadian distributor for EME Engines, 3DHOBBYSHOP, GP ENGINES, PRO-FLOW 3D CANS, TDRC 20 AWG Servo Wires,
Also: Savox Servos, Hacker motors, Castle Creations, Falcon Props, SWB MFG, Smart-fly, 4titude Tanks
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.