Best "quadcopter" to haul GoPro - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15
Re: Best "quadcopter" to haul GoPro

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
With the mQX it is just a basic "gamepad" style transmitter but for the price is a good first step to see if you even enjoy quads.
I agree, the MQX is a good starting point. For the original poster: just note that it will not be able to carry a GoPro or similar camera. I can support a 808 #16 micro cam if you want to start experimenting cheaply, learn your flight skills better and move up. The newer model has a RCA video out that I believe can work for FPV but I don't believe the MQX will have enough power to lift a the electronics required. I'd personally go the MQx/808 #16 route to start and experiment. To do what you want to do successfully (GoPro, Quadcopter, tilt/pan head, FPV), you have to spend thousands.

Also remember to practice away from people/pets/moving vehicles.

Remember that flying outdoors is completely different than inside. Wind, trees, etc. all make it a different experience.
Current models: Hobbico Nexstar Electric, Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX , several micros/small helis. Nothing nitro/gas.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Just remember that as much fun as these things can be they are NOT toys. Not just because of the cost but also because of the danger. Now quads are a less dangerous than single rotor helis but anything that's 50' up in the air that you lose control of with ppl under you can be dangerous. Make sure you have the permission of the owner/operator and I highly suggest finding out whether your home owners insurance will cover you in case of a mishap.

There's also a lot of other stuff out there to keep in mind such as if you want to do it commercially, then you'd have to deal with transport canada.
Helicopters: Walkera(10?), Esky(3), Blade(5), Align(7), Miniature Aircraft(2), Hirobo(2), Mikado(2), Century(3), Thunder Tiger(4), Gaui (5).
Trucks/Cars: Tamiya(8 ), Traxxas(6), HPI(1), Losi(2), Ofna(2), Thunder Tiger(2), Hot Bodies(1), Axial (1).
Boats: 4
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

Redmist, although multicopters can be very easy to fly, they only get that way after a bunch of effort. The intial tuning can be quite frustrating to someone just starting out. Don't even think about adding anything (like a camera) until you have it flying well and are very comfortable with it.

If you know experienced multirotor modelers in your area, that would be a good place to start. If they can help you with the initial tuning, then you might buy a ARTF combo - there are many options available.

If there is no one who can help you in your area, I would echo Mark's mQX suggestion (Bind and Fly to use with a Spektrum transmitter, otherwise the Ready to Fly model with transmitter). Note that the mQx is tiny and will not carry a GoPro - it is an indoor fun model.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
RCC Contributor
I am: Mark Betuzzi

Total Props: 6

Check out the following links:

Quad copters -I use a Gaui 500X with a 4S LIPO and a GOPRO on-board.

Trumpet is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Ken Electric
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ken E
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

Red Mist:
Maybe ask around to see if anyone has the equipment and let them record the race. From what I read you are starting from scratch so even learning to fly a quad let alone follow and record a race is a big step.
FPV are great on a plane have used them a few times but it was not my equipment. We used light foam planes A Floater from Hobby king real cheap and can fly slow. They also have a ton of FBV equipment forsale
Find then at use the tool bar at the left to look around.

The other thing would be ask if you can put cameras on 3 or 4 riders, E Bay has them cheap. Set up 3 or 4 step ladders around the track so you can record as the riders go by get then splice them all together into a vid of the race. Much cheaper than quads FPV and the learning curve and will give a good effect.
Ken Electric is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: R.S.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1

i agree with the above about getting a smaller quad first
as a bigger quad, one crash could = $10~$50 in repairs depending on how bad you crash it

with the micros/mini quad they can take quite of a beating
if you think the mQX is expensive, you can go with the WL v939/929 quad as they fly pretty well (clone of the mQX)
i have a v929 and i love it
flys really well and take a big beating =]
lildevilx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Ken Electric
RCC Apprentice
I am: Ken E
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Hobby king sells a quad Ready to fly (RTF) that is radio, batt and spare propellers battery.
It sells for 38$ , I have one and it flies great and a good start to flying quads.
Ken Electric is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
RCC Noob
I am: Scott L
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Thanks for the links guys
I am going to start small. I'm just tired of getting stuff that doesn't even work properly.
RedMist is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.