Ready2Fly Freewing 90mm Venom Kit, 1.5M wing span (video added) - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #31
pogo
RCC Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 2
Re: Ready2Fly Freewing 90mm Venom Kit, 1.5M wing span (video added)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maidened my Venom and you were right about the "new favorite jet" Eric. I took it, along with my B-17, to the Burlington Warbirds event yesterday, hoping to take advantage of their paved runway after the show ended. The B-17 failed to take flight during the show due to an unexpected tailwheel problem but at least I was able to fly the Venom around 3:00.
With a slight headwind the takeoff (no flaps) was flat and quite scale looking and halfway through the first turn I was reducing power. During testing at home (holding the model vertically, wife on the throttle) thrust from the Wemo Evo fan proved to be pretty much 1:1, so I was able to cruise around at 1/2 throttle and just enjoy the model. I have Eagle Tree Guardian stabilizers in several other models, as well as this one and some oscillation on the ailerons indicated that axis needs the gain reduced a little. The model was a bit sensitive in roll also so i'll reduce the throws mechanically. Pitch and yaw were good. Otherwise, just a great flying model.
I chose not to use flaps for landing due to the wind and she settled nicely onto the grass with no bounce- maybe my taking coils out of the main gear springs and installing a softer nose spring helped in taming the "Venom bounce". My friends Bill and Andre were with me for the flight and their calm camaraderie was most helpful- thanks guys!
After the 4 min. flight the batteries (Revo 40C 5000's, 2x3S) took 1800 mah so good flight times using more throttle will be easy.
Many thanks to the Burlington club and Lindsey, the field boss, for giving me the opportunity to get this flight in.
Tom

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #32
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Eric K.

Total Props: 10

Congratulations Tom!
The Venom is certainly a great model and quite efficient.
Glad you could try our field as well.
Cheers Eric
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #33
pogo
RCC Contributor

I am: Tom Muir

Total Props: 2

Thanks Eric- I always enjoy going to your field (been to several of the warbirds events). I hope we can fly our Venoms together at some point.
Tom
Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #34
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

The past few outings we noticed the Venom wings developing some play up and down. In turbulence you could see the wings flapping slightly.
After removing the wings we discovered that the forward mounting tab of one wing had come loose due to very little glue during manufacture. We also found both fuselage wing spar socket tubes completely loose in their foam channels. This what was allowing the wings to flex up and down so easily. They also had very little glue holding them in from manufacture.
To fix we re-glued the the square wing spar socket tubes into the fuselage holes with PU glue. We also are adding a square CF .25" square spar that will run inside each wing spar joining both halves of the wing with one strong spar. It will run in front of the fan but it is rotated to present a sharp edge at the front and back to minimize wind resistance.
Those of you flying your Venoms who notice wing movement might want to look into this issue.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	673881  

Last edited by 4stripes; 08-04-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #35
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Flew a number of flights and performance was unchanged with the new CF square spar sitting across the intake to the fan. Much more rigid wing now.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #36
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Assembled another R2F Venom for a friend. It came with a Freewing 6 blade fan and 1750kv outrunner from a FW F18. First the EDF was taken apart and reassembled to check if any screws needed locktite (none had any) and it is a miracle none of the screws and set screws had come loose in its previous running. Basically it was factory stock with some evidence of rubbing of the fan on the shroud (not a lot but some). After reassembly the impeller was clocked to the best running position and then the spinner was done too. After applying a 1/4" square piece of duct tape to the spinner in various positions around the spinner I knew where to add a drop of CA inside the spinner to get it as smooth as possible. Touching the shroud both near the lip and further aft near the motor I could tell the outrunner was a little out of balance as well. My "wire trick" was used to find the light side of the rotating bell and then some material was drilled away on the heavy side. It took three fairly large divets and a couple small final divets to get it really smooth. It was surprising how little power this fan draws on 6S (a little over 1500watts initially settling to about 1450). Not an impressive number but when installed in the plane I held the nose straight up and with a full 5500mah battery it almost had enough thrust to hover! I'm expecting long flight times thanks to its low current draw of about 65amps WOT. The sound wasn't bad after proper dynamic balancing. Higher pitch than typical 12 blade fans but not annoying like I remembered them (before I figured out how to dynamic balance them properly).

We simplified the model slightly by omitting the front gear doors and sequencer. Chris added some styrene panels to close up the opening as much as possible yet still allow the retract to operate. A fairly bright LED landing light was glued to the nosewheel to give a little bling on approach. The original light board was not available so a HK lighing board was substituted which worked fine with the factory LEDs. The main gear retracts didn't have the wheels tracking straing so some dis-assembly and filing of the gear leg flat spots was needed. They had used permanent locktite on the trunion set screws so heat was required to remove them on one leg that had a loose gear wire. The other leg was tight so we left it alone. The nose leg was effectively shortened by cutting off the spring loaded plunger rod and drilling another hole further up making the fork sit with more of a trailing link stance. A smaller wheel was also fitted giving an overall reduction of about 1cm. This is necessary to help prevent kangaroo landings should the plane touchdown with too much speed. The original gear height caused the nose wheel to touch first if landing too fast which would cause a succession of bounces.

For visibility the tip tanks have been painted flat red which looks great (might have to do the same on ours).

Hoping winter will hold off long enough to test fly it soon!

A 1/4" square CF spar was rounded off to fit into the wing spars to join both wings to each other through the center section (like on our Venom). We didn't want the fuselage spar anchors to come loose over time as they likely didn't have much glue (if it was anything like ours). Now it doesn't matter if there is any glue on those tubes.

Lastly the cockpit has been getting the styrene treatment to prevent EPO blistering in the sun and improve appearance. The Swiss pilot was a bit overweight until he was shortened by cutting some of the torso off (lots of material in that molded piece). Pictures will follow when we get a chance.

If anyone still wishes to purchase the Venom it is now available through MotionRC (USA) as well as Ready2Fly (Switzerland) in both kit and PNP versions. The kit version does come with retracts but no servos or EDF/ESC.

We used a variety of 9g servos to complete this kit, HXT900, 9018MG, TG9 Z, and TGY 50090M. The flap servo mounts require one servo to be reversed so we rewired one HXT900 (swap the motor and pot wires). Some of the servos had tabs that prevented them fitting easily into the servo mounting parts but cutting off the tabs made them fit easily. Once the covers are screwed on they are very secure.
We used a YEP 80amp LV ESC with built in BEC to keep thing simple. With peak draw under 70 and it being mounted inside the intake duct it will not be under much strain. Timing was set to auto and PWM set to 14 made the motor run smoothly. With other settings there were some pretty rough transition speeds.
The last bit of electronics we added was a Hobbyeagle A3 pro SE micro gyro. It is stuck on its side so I had to use the "elevator" channel of the gyro to control the rudder. Didn't hook up the elevator function as I prefer to have the normal flight feel on landing and takeoff (rather than the gyro possibly masking a slow flight condition).

Last edited by 4stripes; 11-23-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #37
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Did the maiden flight today and then 4 more on the new Venom. Very pleased with the sound and even more pleased with the power consumption. It averages approximately 500mah per minute using mixed throttle. After 2 consecutive 2.5minute flights it burned just under 2400mah in total.
The sound is a higher pitch than the 12 blade fans I routinely use but still jet like with an underlying whoosh (likely due to the cheater grates).
I would say the performance is identical to my Venom but am using about 450 watts less peak power.
Makes me rethink the old wemo midi fan clones like Freewing and Starmax used to sell for certain applications. The trick is to spend enough time dynamically balancing the fan and motor till it can't be any better then have it in a plane with dirty ducting.
I'll post the maiden video when I can figure out how to get it out of my phone...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN80lPGmTC0
And a couple pictures...

Last edited by 4stripes; 11-26-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #38
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

Just finished swapping out my CS9012 with XK4060-1500 inrunner motor for a FW 6 blade fan powered by our old Starmax 1800kv inrunner from the F16 early days.
Out with the new and in with the old after seeing and hearing a well balanced 6 blade fan in the Venom. It will be fun to set the timer for 7 minutes instead of 5.
The only work required was making 2" motor wire extensions.
Setup draws 1600watts 74amps on 6S.

Added photo of second Venom built for a friend...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	50
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	823082  

Last edited by 4stripes; 01-30-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #39
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

another shot (can't seem to post more than one per post with iPad).

Just noticed MotionRC has them on sale PNP...best deal for a 90mm scale jet IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	44
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	823106  
Old 01-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #40
4stripes
RCC Pro Contributor

We had some flying weather today so I tested the 6blade setup with the 1800kv inrunner that came out of my old Starmax F16. Everything going great till 5 minutes into the flight when the motor stopped dead. Landed without incident then removed the fan. It appeared that the magnet section wasn't turning but the shaft was. Took apart the motor and discovered 1/3 of the magnet had split approximately in half. The other two thirds still properly in place in the shaft.
Hopefully the ESC wasn't damaged and only the motor is garbage. Fan and shroud is reusable so I might get a replacement motor from HK.
I will try the Turnigy 3560-1650 outrunner when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	37
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	823946  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.