Second plane? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Duane V

Total Props: 4
Elec Second plane?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am flying a hobby zone super cub with ease and am wondering what plane would be a good second plane. I have a spectrum dx5e transmitter and would like a bind n fly electric plane
There are 3 things people love to stare at: a babbling brook, a roaring fire, and a Zamboni (Olympia ) going around and around.
olympiadriver is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Jason U
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9
Re: Second plane?

The Parkzone T-28 Trojan might be a nice low-wing option for you. Lots of dihedral, flies nice and slow when you want it to, and you can soup it up later if you want.

That said, if you have a club nearby you'd probably get some great advice from the guys out there.

If you need to find a club:

They have links to all registered clubs.

MAAC# 32586 Buddy Codes: All my buddy-codes on
London Wind Mapper Weather
uberjay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice
I am: Pete
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7+

Total Props: 1

In August I Added ailerons to my super cub, and shortly there after flew parkzone corsair and early version spitfire.
Actually I have a parkzone mkix spitfire forsale, but I would highly recommend the cub ailerons 1st. That way you don't end up with another intermediary plane once you can fly low wings.
supercouper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

For anyone who starts with the Supercub and masters it, I ALWAYS recommend the Parkzone T28 as their next plane.

Its such a great flier and bridges the gap nicely from beginner to intermediate flier. For everyone that has gone this route, their flying success has always been 100%.

The only beef I have with it is the CG is to far forward. That is easily fixed with an exacto-knife to the battery stop that is integrated to the canopy cover. Just check the CG and remove some foam from the battery stop to allow the battery to be moved back enough to get the proper CG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PKZ4475.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	178294  
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
RCC Apprentice
I am: kyle
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

I agree with the T28 after the cub.
klintoj is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

Another vote for the T 28. It's a hand full of fun to fly.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
RC Aviator
RCC Apprentice
I am: Steve M

Total Props: 0

+1 on the T28. I have a F4F Wildcat. Very easy to fly. Check out the line of ultra micros too. I don't have one, but the UM Spitfire, with AS3X, is supposed to be easy to fly.

I have 10 UM or UMX models, just not the Spitfire.

Last edited by RC Aviator; 02-17-2013 at 12:23 AM.
RC Aviator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: wilf h
# of RCs: 1

Hey Steve
Was looking at the f-4 wildcat. I currently have a hz supercub and looking to go to an aileron plane. the belly landing part is the one concern I have.
wilf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
RC Aviator
RCC Apprentice

Hi Wilf,

Based on personal experience, I would recommend a few options at this point. First, you could add ailerons to the Super Cub. That way you're expanding on a model you're already familiar with, and it's the least expensive too. Second, and I'm sure you've heard it before, would be a flight simulator. I use Phoenix, but anything for stick practice would suffice. It WILL pay for itself with the money saved from not crashing. Also good for when the weather is nasty. And if you just don't "feel it" on a particular day, you can still use the sim without it costing anything. My third idea would be one of the ultra micros with AS3X. Spitfire, Warhawk, or maybe the Carbon Cub. Without AS3X, maybe the P-51 or Corsair. All UM or UMX, of course. If you want something the same size roughly, I'm guessing the T28. I don't own one, but they're supposed to be easier than the F4F. Although, with a computerized radio, using dual rates and expo, it can be toned down.

That's what's fun in this hobby. There's so many different options. I started out with helis, and after the first few I picked up the sim. While learning to fly 6ch helis, I sometimes practiced planes. Just for fun. I decided to get into foam planes for some relaxing flying. Compared to 6ch helis that is. My first plane was the Super Cub, and I had to fly it so bad, that I took it up the night I got it, wind and all. I went with a buddy to a school parking lot and away I went. I figured I'd take off in the parking lot and then fly into the field. Ok, so the lights were for the parking lot, but the Cub's white, right? When I went past the light pole, the plane all but disappeared. I could barely make out a white blob, so I went hard right, trying to bring my white blob back. LOL I just missed the pole, then noticed there was a tree on that side. I swooped under the branch, circled the parking lot and landed. I was so pumped that I lost sight, got it back, missed the tree and landed softly, that after I cut throttle, I forgot to steer and hit a curb. No damage. Just pushed the spinner all the way back. I guess after attempting that I wasn't going to be allowed to walk away completely unmarked.

As for belly landing, just cut throttle before touching down. Remember to take off and land into the wind. Slow it down, and about a foot off the ground, cut the throttle. Completely. You don't want power to the prop when you touch down. At that point, flare it the same as if landing on wheels. And for the planes that have fixed landing gear, you can also take them off to belly land. If you want to do both, get a plane with landing gear and switch when you want to.

Whatever you decided, have fun and stay safe.

Last edited by RC Aviator; 02-17-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
RC Aviator
RCC Apprentice

On a side note. If you add ailerons to the Cub, it'd be a good idea to make a second wing at the same time for backup. Saves having to do it all over again. It's also nice, though, to have a another plane. Or more.....

Check if your LHS has a sim set up for demo. Go in and try it out. If it's easy, choose a plane. If not, consider the sim instead.

Remember, a plane with ailerons is a completely different animal than one without.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.