General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Ross H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Question Skiis

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am considering skiis for my LT40 and/or 4Star60 (both trike landing gear). Checking LHSs it appears there are 2 options available. Du-bro plastic or CJ Model aluminum. (Both similar price.) The aluminum mains are 11 1/4" and nose 8 1/2". I don't know the length of the Du-bros.
Any recommendations for plastic vs aluminum? What length skiis do I need for 40 and 60 size?

Rossco is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Tom R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 5
Re: Skiis

Skiis are lots of fun. We are in Sioux Lookout Ont.,and have a great flying field; but in the winter months we fly of the lake. Depending on conditions: Sometimes when the ice is just frozen and at least 4 to 5 inches we fly with wheels or skiis. This is great. Then there are times that we fly from a groomed runway on the lake and thing are perfect with about 2" of fresh snow on top of that. occasionally we gat a semi hard wind blown surface that works well too.

I have made skiis for most of the members here from aluminum. Most are straight skiis, but I hace made some that are a fixed penetration wheel/ski and also tri gear.

As for size: 11 to 12" for a 40 size plane and I've made some about 20" X2.5 for 1/4 scale planes.

If you are looking for a ski that will fly from a foot of fresh powder----you ain't gonna do it ---- Snow is not scale!
oldtomcat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Morgan
Radio of choice:
DX7 Dsm2
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

Hey there, here is a link to my skis i have made, they are from plastic, some springs, and some aluminum. Funny that the post before this was a post from a guy in Sioux Lookout, I'm from Dryden, an hour away from the Sioux look out, may have to head up that way for some float flying and some ski flying. Cheers.
HELI-MECH is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

Have a look here.

Brian T.
It's All About Ballance
Rellic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

I have put wheel/skis on mt "Kadessna" and installed the "Baffel Kit" to keep a little heat in the engine.

a transmiter glove is also a good idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wvRA 145.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	930.4 KB
ID:	179223   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel skis.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	179224   Click image for larger version

Name:	kadessna baffle kit.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	179225  
Bill......AKA "WW"
MAAC 46039
WOW 2000 POSTS...WOW...I need a hobby...wait...I have a hobby!
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

Originally Posted by oldtomcat View Post
If you are looking for a ski that will fly from a foot of fresh powder----you ain't gonna do it ---- Snow is not scale!
Only true for a trike geared plane!

With trike gear you have 2 large skis behind the C of G holding a small nose ski down hard against the ground. The more the rear skis climb up on the snow, the harder the nose ski will dig in.

Hard packed snow only for trikes - or use floats! They work well in powder!

Now - tail draggers work way better in snow but there are some little known secrets to making skis work in powder.

#1 Width is king!! Forget the long narrow skis, all they do is cut to the bottom & stay there! SHORT AND FAT IS WHERE IT'S AT!! They will get you up on top of the snow!
#2 The axel pivot MUST be 2/3 of the way back from the tip of the skis. A long tail behind the axel has the mechanical advantage and holds the tips down into the snow. They WILL NOT climb! Long tips ahead of the axel allows the tip to climb up on top of the snow more easily.
#3 Preload the tips up! Again to help them climb up on top of the snow.

A buddy of mine has a video of my Sig Citabria doing take offs in a foot of powder snow. The snow was so deep & fluffy that all that you could see when we set the plane down was the rudder, the cabin windows & wing and the top of the cowl!The prop was kicking up such a cloud of snow it was hard to see the plane at times. No! It wasn't just one freak take off! We did it over & over just because we could hardly believe it ourselves!

Skis, 3" wide x 6" long. Plane 6.5 lbs with an OS .40SF

Many thanks to Ron Simonson, former Alberta MAAC zone director for teaching me this!

Enjoy! It works like a charm! Merv
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: Ron H.
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 7

What Old Prairie (Merv) said is the right way. Keep in mind that most commercially available skis are made somewhere south where they really do not know snow.

Let me give a couple examples of something totally non airplane related that will reinforce what Merv is sayin.

Long narrow skis (ie:the typical commercial ski)- think about the last time you saw someone cross country or downhill skiing in powder. They were up to their knees in snow while the skiis rode the hard pack uder the power weren't they.

Short fat skis-The inuit people of the past designed a device to enable them to walk easily on the snow for hunting and whatnot. Those things are called snowshoes. Think about how they look......shorter and really wide. They can nicely walk on top of the powder.

So, what sort of snow are you going to be flying off, hard pack/groomed or fluffy powder???

Just for interest, I made a set of aluminum skiis for my taildraggin' Kadet Seniorita a number of years ago. Those skis were only about 8" long, but I made the a good 3 " wide. I put the mount at 5" back from the toe. Let me tell you, I could fly tthat airplane off of ANY, and I mean Any snow with NO PROBLEM!!
stardustertoo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

I made these skis copied from the DC3 on Ice Pilots last yr. with the little wing on the back. I think this is one of those lost inventions that got shoved under the rug. They work great. No wires, strings or rubber bands to hold them in line. Balance for the skis should have the pivot point just ahead of the CG so the tail drops very lightly. These are on a 36 in. foamy. These are made from foam but for the bigger one, could be made fron coroplast or aluminum. As you can see, the wing width could be tailored.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Super skis 001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	179297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super skis 003.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	179298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super skis 004.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	179299  
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
Detroit Dave
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C
# of RCs: 28+

Total Props: 2

Believe the guys who say wide is the way to go. On skis, that's what works the best. If you got fresh powder, go with floats. GeeBee floats are awesome on snow. Very light and nothing to wear off on the bottom since they are all plastic. Not the plastic that gets brittle in the cold either.
Skis do have their problems. They fall into a footprint where someone walked through the snow. Floats usually ride over footprints. When you taxi, you have to corner really slow on skis. It the slide sideways even a little bit, they dig in and you get stuck. Floats will slide if you corner a bit too fast.
Now.... as soon as the snow gets hit with some warming sun, it firms up and skis work really well. If it's a wet, heavy snow, skis are fine too.
Took a lot of flak from some of the guys a few years ago because my P-51 on skis was not scale. It wasn't scale, but it was a lot of fun.
If you need a set of snow floats, I have a pair of old US Air Core floats. I could never get them sealed for flying off water, but they work great for snow. I used the gear system off them so you'll have to make your own mounting system, but you can have them for the cost of shipping from here in the US.

Close enough to Canada that I grew up watching HNIC. 12 minute drive to the Detroit/Windsor bridge.
Detroit Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 14

I've used the Jay Dee skis on a Kadet Seniorita E powered.

Those skis worked fantastic and are a nice piece of work, I used the 60 size. The snow was windblown and not fresh.
I never flew the CF-100 but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express! I'm on Facebook as KPK Warbirds.
cf100 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.