Wondering where to begin, fpv tricopter or quad - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
StrikerBusa
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Kristian S

Total Props: 2
Re: Wondering where to begin, fpv tricopter or quad

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anyone have thoughts on ordering a tbs discovery quad kit?
StrikerBusa is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

The TBS Disco is a very nice sport FPV quad, but it is relatively expensive. You shoudl take the time to research (yourself) anything you want to buy before taking the plunge.

The NAZA you mentionned is really more for stable flight (think aerial photography) and is also relatively expensive. Again, read up before buying to make sure it's right for you.

If you don't take the time to do your own research, you will potentially waste money. There really are no short cuts to success. It's hard enough to buy right even if you take your time and do the research.

Again, start slow. Keep it simple. Allow yourself the time to learn. This is how you have fun instead of experiencing frustration and dissapointment.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

Yeah no point in spending a ton of money and then finding out that it doesn't work out how you intended.

A $30 KK2.0 board is really simple to setup and tune and has self leveling. It doesn't do any position hold or way point stuff but you probably wont need that for a while anyways and can always upgrade if you want that.

I am working on an H quad made out of G10 and aluminum and figure ready to fly I'll be under $200. It will easily carry a Gopro and FPV stuff if I want to add it later.
Here is my current price breakdown. Figure another $50-60 ish to get all the bits shipped.

4x 2830-14 750KV $13.20 = 52.80
1x 20x4 hobbywing esc = 36.00
1x KK2.0 = 30.00
4x 12x3.8 apc props $4.50 = 18.00
12x24 1/16 G10 sheet = 10.00
4x 1/2 aluminum square tube $6 = 24.00
Receiver = 10.00
= $180

I already have batteries, LED's, wires, connectors, nuts, bolts, aluminum spacers, battery charger, gopro, and battery charger. Don't blow all your budget and then forget you need to buy these things.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
StrikerBusa
RCC Junior Contributor

Looking into buying a spektrum dx6i and a quad frame ad the just frankensteining it together and learning as I go. Should be fun lol. Thanks for all the help guys. It's much appreciated
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I know this is late in the thread but if I can chip in my vote, it would be for a quad over a tri for the simple reason of the lack of complexity in setting up, as well as availability. ARTF quad packages for FPV are out there and very cost effective.

Me personally? I have been FPV flying a GLB X525 since last spring and it is my #1 FPV quad.
I would like to have a more advanced quad with all the bells and whistles, but that is mucho $$, and not necessary for entry level FPV multirotor.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #26
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Oh- and one more thing;

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerBusa View Post
So what I'm wondering is where to start, I'm reading up on laws and quite sure I'm going to be flying in the mountains and away from the city. What am I going to need to fly a couple of Km's away, record the video, and am I going to be able to do this on a 1500 budget?

Thank you for any help and advice
Couple of KM's on a quad? Why would you not want to do this with a plane?

If I get you correctly, you want to fly several KM with a quad, lurk for a bit, then return home? That is gonna be one heck of a quad. In my experience, quad range is limited by battery, payload AND WIND. Even the TBS boys had very limited range on their discovery. On their videos where they did a mountain shoot, they had to land replace the batteries several times along the way, and finally had to do a forced landing at the last scene because of low batts.

To me, quads are local and short range explorers (if one considers the need to fly the return trip)

For anything that requires longer range, you should consider a fixed wing FPV set-up

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
StrikerBusa
RCC Junior Contributor

After some more reading I would have to agree that I'm not going to get lots of flying time out of a quad and to begin with I don't believe I'm going to be going that far anyway. What is your usual flight time average? I think my best bet to begin with is get. Simple quad to fly and boot around with then get somthing like a fun jet later.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #28
StrikerBusa
RCC Junior Contributor

Took the first step and ordered a x525, it came with everything as an ARF, couldn't help myself and I have to start somewhere lol. Again thanks for everyone's input, I'm new in all this multirotor shannagans and the help is appreciated
Old 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

Great choice. These things are integration projects and the combos help eliminate a lot of guesswork and mistakes.

Whatever you do, try to have fun and just take a break and do some reading if you get frustrated.

Congrats on starting your journey!
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #30
StrikerBusa
RCC Junior Contributor

I'm looking forward to this quite a bit lol. Now I just have to wait for shipping awww, and also find a transmitter. Looking at some spektrums on eBay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in