Dead Cat Conversion Kit for SK450 Overview - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Mark L @ FL

Total Props: 0
Dead Cat Conversion Kit for SK450 Overview

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I started a general overview and build of the HobbyKing Dead Cat Conversion Kit for the SK450 frame.

Some initial pics and link to more info and pics:

The frame comes packaged in a large zip lock bag and is composed of the two plates and the hardware kit fir the front turnbuckles. It should be noted that a complete SK450 frame kit is required to make use of this upgrade.

Considering the price of the SK450 kit compared to this upgrade and what you get with it, it seems a bit overpriced, however in the big scheme of things you are still only talking around $37 for a complete frame in the end.

The quality of the plates are pretty good, well cut with no sharp edges, scratches, or misaligned holes. The G10 does seem a bit flexible although once assembled the frame seems fairly stuff overall.

The build goes together much the same as the SK450, simply screw on the 4 arms to the 2 plates. The turnbuckles then attach to the front via ball links to act as added support for the camera area. I chose to mount back ball links on the upper surface instead if the lower side as shown on the product page, thinking the angle would give it a bit more strength and hold. I'm not convinced this is going to provide a solid vibration free setup however, as it still has some flex and the turnbuckle linkages may cause some vibration since they are not a solid connection.

Assembled as per the product page the total weight was 432g, lighter than advertised at 460g.

As with the SK450, it does not seem to include mounting holes for any known
common controller layouts, so you will need to either drill your own or use another means (Velcro, double sided foam tape, etc) to attach the flight controller.

The assembled frame is larger large in regards to the plates, compared to some other spyder style frames, which makes it easy for mounting gear but may add more profile that could be impacted by wind. Plenty of room between the two plates for ESCs and wiring harness or distribution board, and possibly a flight controller depending on its size and wiring layout.

More to follow as build progresses....

Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149
Re: Dead Cat Conversion Kit for SK450 Overview

Where's the dead cat?
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Mark L @ FL

Originally Posted by Max View Post
Where's the dead cat?
I'm going to see if it will fly without first
Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
flycrazy = Darcy Creighton
I am: Darcy Creighton
Radio of choice:
spektrum dx9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
I'm going to see if it will fly without first
Well that's just no fun ...
flycrazy = Darcy Creighton is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Recursion
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 3

I think the flex joint idea is silly since the legs are also mounted to the base plate. They would do absolutely nothing besides make the frame less secure.

That is so obvious that I would bet even they know this, and they are there as a sales gimmick. I agree that it may make the vibrations worse since the vibrations that do exist would have more wiggle room in when they reach the end of the frame that holds the camera.
Recursion is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Mark L @ FL

I think the front camera tab is far to long anyway. I'll test it all stock first but I suspect I may just remove the turnbuckle supports and shorten the tab up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.