Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jean Pierre
Radio of choice:
JR 7202
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3
Nitro content

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all, just a little story to tell. Last spring a friend of mine gave me and old OS .60 from the 60's, I read that these engines needed something like 25% castor in the gas so I bought a gallon of castor. At the same time I bought my regular brand gas at my local hobby shop and I added 125ml of castor to all of them(12). The season started and I began experiencing engine problems. Unreliable engines, deadsticks, leanout etc... not mentionning many burned glowplugs. So after 4 months of patience and anger management and a few broken planes, a member told me my gas was the culprit. So I tried gas from a fellow member beside me and the @#$%?$ engine started and ran just great and for the 2 flights afterward. So I caused a problem wanting to protect my engines by adding oil to the gas. I guess the thickness of castor was too much. Now I will never add oil to gas that has been blended by professionals. For the other gallons with oil in it, I will mix them with regular gas to lower the oil content. I still have six of them so I think removing 1/4 and add the same amount of regular gas will bring them to a lower oil content.

Flyinbullmax is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
Re: Nitro content

Caster oil and gasoline do not mix!!! If you are talking nitro fuel here, I have been adding 141 ml of Sig castor oil to the U/S gallon we get, not the pharmacy brand, that brings the oil content to 20%, for many years now with no problem. I run a lot of old engines. If your fuel is left unsealed in the garage over the winter it will probably absorb enough water to make it useless.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Jean Pierre
Radio of choice:
JR 7202
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3

Hello Cliff, I always refer to glow when I say gas. I should say fuel instead, it would be less confusing. That's the castor I bought, Sig and I added 125ml in 4,78l. I guess if I had added a little nitro in it, it would have been easyer on the engines. My engines kept dying, I could'nt keep a reliable idle and many of the landings where without power. I guess it would be a good thing to dilute my fuel with a lower viscosity fuel. I even thought adding pure methanol wich would shurely lower the oil content but I don't know how much to remove from the bottle of fuel.
To be continued.
Flyinbullmax is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 11

There are very few motors that actually need 25% castor, some of the older fox motors, with cast iron pistons do, but beyond that, most are fine with a lower percentage of lubrication. Back in the 60s, we didn't have synthetic. Synthetic is a better lubricant than castor, as far as being slippery, but castor burns at a higher temperature, so if you happen to set your motor too lean, the synthetic may burn away, but the castor will probably save your engine from damage. That's why we have castor/synth blends.

You can't just add nitro to dilute the fuel/oil mix, some European engines can't take more than 5% nitro without modification, and I wouldn't go over 10% in that OS.

A rule of thumb is remove 1% lube is equal to adding 1% nitro without actually adding any.

For your OS, you could have ran something like 5 or 10% nitro and 20% lubricant, and had tons of oil content. In order to use it up, I would try to mix it 50/50 with something that has 16% lubricant.
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Gary R.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 5

Hi JP:
You can always cut the over-oily stuff by adding 99.9% methanol, available in gallons from Canadian Tire and most major home hardware stores.
This will drop the nitro percentage a bit, but not enough to render the fuel unusable.

I have cut 20% oil content fuel down to 16 or 17% oil with no problems, running in OS55AX's, Saito 4 strokes, etc. These motors all have ball bearing cranks. If your OS60 has ball bearings, you will be fine.
If you are ever down south of the border, you can purchase nitromethane from a number of drag racing fuel distributors. It's worth a small fortune, but if you really need to or you enjoy "brew your own", it's a solution.
Moisture in the methanol is the biggest issue. That kills the fuel, no matter what the mix is.

Good luck sir! Happy blending!
garyr1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jeff B
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

Hello All

I mix my fuel for my 1/2A engines and have had no problems with it. I don't know what the engine you have needs for oil but I can tell you it takes a bunch of math to get the mix right. You have to remember when you add it changes the volume in the end. So if you say I have 10% oil to start and do a calc to add the same amount to get a 20% it is not. The added volume makes it lower and the nitro volume drops too. So you may have the oil you need but have dropped your nitro to low for it to run well. You could fix the mix by buying an extreme nitro content, read 40%, then blend it to the bad stuff.

Do yourself a favor and calculate the volumes of the differant contents before hand. I always start that way. I start with a 30% nitro fuel and by the time I am done it is only a 25% for my 1/2A's. If you want me to send you a full mix calc break down or help with yours just let me know.

trike_flyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.