Transmitter stick mode! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aerobatics Scale Aerobatics/IMAC in Canada

Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Mike B.

Total Props: 0
Transmitter stick mode!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I found this article on
Transmitter stick mode!

How many in the Canadian Imac circuit pilot are flying a different mode than Mode 2?
How difficult is the transition in a different mode?
I do fly helicopter. So would I find advantages to switch to Mode 3 (Mode 4 in Futaba) for helicopter flying?
Skybolt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 8
Re: Transmitter stick mode!

First I must say that I have a great deal of repect for Ivan and his flying abilities. He has done a lot for the RC community, is always friendly and approachable, is a real gentleman, and has a great deal of respect from the modelling community both locally and internationally. If you have ever seen him fly, you most certainly know Mode 3 works very well.

Regarding the different stick Modes. I personally fly Mode 1 for aircraft, but can fly Mode 2 aircraft transmitters if I use a lot of concentration. I'm just starting to play around with small helicopters and find I prefer Mode 2 to fly them.

Once you start to fly with one mode, your automatic reactions to corrections become difficult to "unlearn" and takes a lot of concentration. Similar to your automatic reactions when driving in England or Australia.

Whenever I introduce anyone to RC, I recommend they go to Mode 2, simply because that is what most people fly in North America and if they ever need assistance, and I'm not around, they probably will only be able to get help from a Mode 2 person.

However, after saying that, a nice feature of most radios of the same make, is that if you fly Mode 1 (or 2) and want to buddy box with a Mode 2 (or 1), the conversion is automatically done in the radio so you can help anyone on another mode to learn to fly.

I have now made it a point to only buy transmitters that allows easy conversions and updates, that includes switching transmitter Modes, frequency modules, and downloadable software updates.

By doing this, I always have the flexibility to switch to whatever Mode I want and to keep my system up-to-date..

I currently fly an Aurora 9. This transmitter allows me to easily switch transmitter Modes in software and hardware for easy customization. On top of that, if there is any new improvements the receiver, 2.4 frequency module or transmitter, the software can be downloaded into the radio system by the net and your PC. It also allows me to use my choice of a 72 or 2.4 module. Positive or negative shift for 72 is also programmable.

Those are my observations, and personally, I really don't care what Mode or Radio you fly, I just want you to come out flying and enjoy the hobby.

See you at the field.

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!" - Benjamin Franklin.

Last edited by Wayne MIller; 12-05-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling and typos
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Rick Kroeze
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Rick K

Total Props: 0
Re: Transmitter stick mode!

Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post

How many in the Canadian Imac circuit pilot are flying a different mode than Mode 2?
I am aware of 4 in Ontario flying other than Mode 2. There may be more. Point being it's a minority.

I think Mode 1 and 3 are better in theory.

My concern would be if you had a problem (bug in eye, sunblock) or would like someone to test fly your plane there is next to no one to hand the transmitter to. I've seen judges, at a contest, jump out of the chair to save an airplane serveral times for example.
Rick Kroeze
MAAC#70373 IMAC #4460
NC Region Judging Instructor
They say trees are 90% air. Personally I think they are 100% tree.
Rick Kroeze is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.