MAAC President Resigns - Page 29 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #281
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc S

Total Props: 39
Re: MAAC President Resigns

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
.... time for someone to split off the FAI discussion into a separate thread as it begins to cloud and dominate what was once a question of leadership.

I won't start it, but can't promise I won't participate......
Sharpy01 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #282
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

Originally Posted by Richard Lyle Barlow View Post
Once and for all, this is getting ridiculous.

We live in a supposedly civilized society where there must be a degree of cooperation and some give and take.

MAAC represents all model flyers. The man flying free flight rubber models has no need of insurance nor frequency protection. The control line flyer needs neither frequency protection nor cooperation with Transport Canada; his models are tethered and thus are not flying freely in airspace. The sports R/C flyers have no need of FAI. Despite this, all modellers are treated alike by MAAC and should be. The opportunity to fly any discipline whether for sport or competition exists for all. It is up to the individual to choose.

The selfish attitude of “I do not use it therefore I resent paying for it” reduces one to less than animal status, as animals usually share with their own species, and there is often inter-species cooperation.

We all pay taxes – local, provincial and federal. Not one of us approves of all uses to which our money is put, and often derive no direct benefit. In the interests of our community, our province and our country, we pay them and accept that the overall good is of paramount importance.

MAAC is not a perfect organization. It tries to be, and generally does a good job. There are no pigs at the trough, as all work is voluntary for member officers.

The direction of MAAC is charted by those that bother to attend their zone meeting; that bother to elect a good ZD (Whether old guard or new one), who bother to give him input, who bother to read the Resolutions and Recommendations from AZM meetings, who bother to give input. There is no established "Old Guard". What exists is an ever changing group that "bothers".

I eagerly await the independent investigation that many have called for. I agree that one is badly needed in order to show the membership exactly what happened over the past period and to clear the names of some badly maligned and dedicated volunteers.

I urge every one of the readers of this forum to go to:

Read with an open mind. If you still hate MAAC, then don’t join. If you realize that there is strength in numbers, and that the spectre of “the old guard” ruling the organization like the pigs in George Orwell’s book – Animal Farm, has no merit in reality, then welcome in. MAAC will support you when you need it – and all members will pay a fraction of that support.

It is Christmas guys. Can we show some Christmas spirit?

Amen Brother! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Year to all R/C'ers (MAAC members or not! LOL)
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #283
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 11

I have not been able to bring up a copy of the Constitution on the MAAC site. (maybe someone could rectify this.

When people talk about changing the nature of MAAC I think of how people would react if their club eventually voted to not repair the mower and discontinue maintaining the runway because most of the members were flying helis now and didn't really need it any more. Perhaps the club even decided to allow a RC car club to build an off-road track wher the runway used to be runway used to be so they could attract new members.
Keith Morison
MAAC 24909L
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #284
Dave Larkin
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David L

Total Props: 7

MAAC Constitution - for John O'Sullivan

You can find the Constitution, Policy and ByLaws by going into Docs/Media, then Forms and Documents, then MAAC Documents, then Main MAAC documents.
Dave Larkin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #285
John O'Sullivan
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: John O

Total Props: 6

Thanks Dave:
Makes interesting read - short and concise and covers the needs of all our members, including rocket, boat and land vehicle classes. Long may we all operate in harmony.
MAAC #5401
MACI # 26
John O'Sullivan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #286
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
cf100 reminds me of a old cracked phonograph record ... same thing mindlessly over and over again.

The FAI Chairman represents Canada at the annual conference. Has done for years. So where is the rest of the 'old guard' .. steeped in FAI .. who are hanging around hoping for a trip?
Your so right about the broken record, sorry cracked phonograph for you "Old Guard" types. A simple search shows you and Larkin have been saying the same mindless blabber about Maac needing the Areo Club of Canada and the FAI for years.

Sorry to bust your bubble but the majority of Maac members are sport flyers and if you want to send your FAI Chairman to the annual conference then do it on your dime and NOT mine.

Time for Maac to get back to basics for the majority and offer us insurance and a seat beside transport Canada, that's it.

No need for ACC or FAI for that.

Maac spent $24 000 on the FAI travel fund in 2011, sure some party the FAI Chairman gets to go to. How about the $18 952 to the Areo Club of Canada, boy Maac sure gets it's bang for the buck for that eh, NOT.

It's all here, insurance is $15 dollars a member, have a look at where the other $65 we sport flying members pay every year goes.
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #287
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Dennis M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 7

Originally Posted by Dave Larkin View Post

4*60, how long have you been in the hobby? How long have you been in MAAC? Have you ever done anything for MAAC? When you make snide comments about The 'old guard', you should remember that these people have devoted a great deal of their time, over many years, to building MAAC and giving it 'good governance', and they did it as volunteers. Have you ever been a Zone Director or an Assistant Zone Director? Have you ever been a MAAC Committee Chairman? Hiding behind a pen name doesn't cut it.

Dave Larkin MAAC 3577L
12 years currently, and when a kid.
Now am slated to be on a committee.
Considered zone involvement at last meeting
Past pres of rc club, sec-treas, instructor of full size soaring and now r/c
Past pres of full size soaring clubs, cfi, involved in soaring national body, in past
Member of community groups, parks commissions,
Former CO of air cadet squadron
I could mention a few moreitems but not MAAC

I do thank people for speaking up and supporting my view or at least my ability to speak. Others have said worse.
Have a good day.

Your opinion might be 18 months. My opinion differs from that.

BTW. I'm OK with radio involvement-IC, TC, FAI, Aero Club,etc, even partly on my dime. I recognize a lot that MAAC does. .

Last edited by 4*60; 12-23-2012 at 12:43 AM.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #288
RCC Master Contributor

Well, if we insist on keeping the FAI attached to this discussion, I will boldly make the following relevance to said discussion ;

...the association has had a number of board "rifts ' that have produced associated drama and resignations and threatened legal actions of significance a number of times over the years.

Perhaps what distinguishes this latest one is that it is not FAI related?

All the previous drama that touches my fading memory was directly related to differences in opinion regarding the FAI.

This one does not appear to have that foundation, at least on the surface?

This current mess appears to be centered on some kind of very vindictive individual personality clashes with one side having a pension to inject lawyers into the mix, sending everything to the level of ridiculous.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #289
Jim 15256
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Jim C
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 3

Could this have something to do with the recent ouster of a Zone Director?
....MAAC 15256
Click here to see my Photo Albums
Jim 15256 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #290
RCC Master Contributor

Originally Posted by Jim 15256 View Post
Could this have something to do with the recent ouster of a Zone Director?

...... So,is it public knowledge who supposedly went to industry canada with these alleged infractions?

Do we know if the person or persons went to the board first considering it may be some innocent error ,without malice or intent?

If so, did the board deal with the error in a reasonable manner we might expect of a volunteer organization?

If yes,was the originator not happy with the results (ie: the object of the complaint wasn't dealt with harshly enough in the opinion of the complainant? ) .

And finally, was the former president a complainant or supporter of the move to involve the outside agency and /or did he also at least attempt to settle issue before it went that far?
These are questions we should want answered.

Last edited by Sharpy01; 12-23-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.