MAAC Democracy Defeated? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc S

Total Props: 39
Question MAAC Democracy Defeated?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As the other thread was getting too cumbersome, I think this twist is worthy of a side discussion so I'm reposting as a new one;

Well, apparently my previous question about Dodd remaining as an active "Past Prez" has a swift answer as it's already changed on the website?!

Pure petty vindictive politics and we have been duped.

Basic Facts:

Dodd dramatically declares the following:

Originally Posted by DODD View Post
It has become obvious, in my opinion, that my ethics... personal code of conduct, and view of fiduciary duty and responsibilities to the corporation are diametrically opposed to the majority of the board's.

I cannot participate as President in an organization where there is seemingly no regard for the Act, the bylaws or fiduciary duty to the corporation.
So, prior to this statement he fires out a bunch of vague, and very serious accusations and declares he cannot work with the "Majority" of our ELECTED Board, which would clearly include the Executive he Chaired as President....

We at the ground level can only imagine what this does to the working tone and functionality within the board as a whole, regardless of majority/minority situations within?

..... BUT!!! ... he's ok to sit on the executive as Past President! WTF? hmmmm

Lets put another piece in:

Originally Posted by LANDRY View Post
Regis (zone director for atlantic sent this email out in response.

As Zone Director for Zone B (Atlantic) may I offer these additional comments regarding today’s resignation of MAAC President, Mr. Ron Dodd.

In my opinion, Mr. Dodd’s summary of reasons for resigning are factual. This year, I was asked to lead an investigating committee that was requested to research formal complaints tabled by MAAC members. To determine the validity of the complaints, the committee reviewed MAAC Bylaws, Code of Ethics, Corporations Canada (Not for Profit) Act and the Quebec Civil Code. Committee investigation results, outlining perceived infringements of specific articles of MAAC Bylaws, Code of Ethics, Corporations Canada (Not for Profit) Act and Quebec Civil Code, were then forwarded to the MAAC Board of Directors for their review and action. Mr. Dodd’s summary speaks to the review and actions taken by the majority of the MAAC Board of Directors to date.
So, now we have Landry, ALSO an Executive on the Board declaring he is also in the "Minority"....

Here's the math and how you circumvent the democracy and create a more dysfunctional organization:

With Dodd resignation, he takes the Past Prez spot forcing Barlow out of the picture who we have read was clearly on the "Majority Team" at the 5 person executive level.

Now, with the VP moving up to Prez, whom we have to assume is a majority team guy, based on Barlow's support on here, the voting position of VP is empty and we effectively have a 4 person executive running the day to day business of MAAC.

Knowing that Landry is a self-declared "Minority Team" member, that leaves Mr Reimer, the last member of the executive as a default "Majority Team" member......

Hmmm, Bottom line is MAAC's now 4 person executive is being run by 2 of the minority as any majority decisions at the executive level become DODD and LANDRY's decisions as Reimer will have the only dissenting vote and Melborne can't vote unless there is a tie, which is impossible with 3 voting executive........

TADA!!!...... democracy defeated. "Check......."

...bring in the clowns, the circus is in town.

Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 30
Re: MAAC Democracy Defeated?

Marc... I just HATE it when you are right! (about such things)

I get the feeling that we are being played like a violin... now who is the musician? and WHAT is the song?

More importantly; WHY?

What vision are they working towards?

The Idea of a Democracy is to have a compromise of opinions so that we can all be happy (generally) instead of one or two VERY happy folks and a bunch of Pi$$ed off people...

Not knowing the details of the problem leaves us at a disadvantage, we just have to have faith in the fact that the majority of the Board voted properly in the best interest of MAAC and go from there.

If Mr Dodds didn't get his way... too bad. Perhaps there is a reason that the Board didn't support his vision.

I'm sure that the details will follow - eventually.

Back to Mr Dodds - is he really smart enough to play this game?
Perhaps he should take up writing Murder Mysteries.
Life is either a daring adventure...
...or nothing.
bbbair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Marc S

Total Props: 39

from the other thread;

Originally Posted by mnewhook View Post
Perhaps you had a point to make but it was lost in the hyperbole. Try to make it in a more succinct and understandable manner?
Fair enough:

-MAAC Exec consist usually of 5; Prez, VP, 2 executive members at large and the past prez.

-runs day to day business of association.

-decisions by majority vote where Prez only votes if other 4 split.

-Dodd and Landry according to their own words do not like current majority rule of the board as a whole. Dodd so much so, he has to step down, but accepts the past prez role which is now a voting role.

-VP Melborne by default loses his regular vote at Exec level and there will be no ties to break with only 3 voting executives left,

-Whatever Dodd and Landry decide is correct at the executive/business level will be the final word.

- Looks like a recipe for compounded dysfunction within an already fractured board where all business decision under this formula being suspect.

Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1

Marc, Please advise as to WHERE in the Atlantic zone directors statement declare he is part of the MINORITY! I do not see any such statement.
What I do see is that he is confirming that he was asked to LEAD an investigating committee into FORMAL COMPLAINTS against MAAC. His guidelines were established,processed and report delivered to the board for "review and action".
Also,I think a lot of folks are forgetting that we as an organization report to Corporations Canada(Not for Profit) as well as a host of other legal groups.If their has been infractions,I'm no expert,but I'm guessing that they would have to be reported.
Like it or not,legally I suspect we cannot just sweep it under the table and make it go away. It could be,again just guessing,that some board members did not like the findings which has led to Mr.Dodds resignation.
In my humble opinion Marc,I think you may not have drawn the correct conclusion that Democracy has been defeated in MAAC. I suspect all that has happened is that the laws,rules or guidelines that we are governed by Corporations Canada, are in play and not the standard practices of the '70's and '80's.
What we should be doing,given the time of the year, is let the board and what ever external organizations guide us do their work to get this situation sorted out. Fueling the fire with gobs of opinions and interpretations weighted to one side or another is really not helpful.
As an insurance investigator one told me,10 people can all have witnessed an accident and no 2 will have seen the same thing. Same here.

Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I think that if a person resigns the MAAC board midway through his term, he forfeits any and all involvement in the board, including being past president.

This should apply to anyone and everyone.

I am not picking on Mr Dodd, but since he has decided to step down from his position on the board it is only right that Mr Dodd should resign from the board entirely.

Look at it this way; if a person is barred from being involved in the voting process where conflict of interest should arise, is it OK for that person to step down so that he can vote for himself, even if a conflict of interest still applies??

Mr Dodd should remove himself. Period.

I also agree 100% with the person that stated on another thread that the title of past president should only be bestowed on a person who SERVED A FULL TERM as president. If a president were impeached, does he still have the right to stay on as "past president"? I would think not.

Sharpy- you seem to know the MAAC bylaws better than most. Do the members at large have the power to get involved in this somehow? Make a motion and make their voices heard?

Mr Dodd staying on as PP is a joke. It makes a mockery of the entire process and worse, undermines the integrity of MAAC.

I personally know several individuals who have stated emphatically that they have no intention on renewing next year due to the BS at MAAC, Mr Dodd's ridiculous email and underhanded tactics. Too bad for MAAC.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 21

Hey Sharpy,

Instead of using this forum to "throw darts" at the current MAAC executive, why don't you do something positive and explain your past positions with MAAC and your personal contributions to it's welfare?

MAAC Jet Committee/JPO Western Canada
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14

deleted JM

Last edited by Applehoney; 12-17-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5

Oh Oh!!
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Richard Lyle Barlow
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Richard Lyle Barlow
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 13

Originally Posted by Pauld View Post
Hey Sharpy,

Instead of using this forum to "throw darts" at the current MAAC executive, why don't you do something positive and explain your past positions with MAAC and your personal contributions to it's welfare?

Hi Paul,

I doubt that Sharpy will brag about his record because that is not his style!

Perhaps I can tell you a little about it.

Sharpy was the ZD for Manitoba zone. He was instrumental in getting a boundary move to put the extreme NW of Ontario together with Manitoba to form the current zone. The change was very successful. He was a great ZD, popular and effective in his zone.

At the time I was Constitution Chairman for MAAC. Were he and I friends? HELL NO!!! We did not get along at all. Sharpy was opposed to support of FAI teams and I, as a frequent team manager for Canada, was strongly supportive.

We fought like cat and dog!

Despite all of this, we both saw in each other a passionate desire for the welfare of MAAC. One day, over dinner and a few beers, we agreed to disagree and buried the hatchet. Since that time, we have been close friends - even if he is still wrong about FAI!!!!

Sharpy is a man of integrity who hates subterfuge, secrecy and backdoor dealing as much as I do. He has my total respect, and I admire the articulate and carefully considered way that he presents arguments and stands up for what he believes is just and right..

Paul - I hope that answers your question

Richard Lyle Barlow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14

That's a very balanced appraisal of an individual obviously dedicated to the well being of MAAC.

So, Paul.... out West in Godd's country .. your turn. What have YOU done for MAAC other than sitting on the Jet Committee?
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.