Dalton Extra 300 ML build - Page 53 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:45 PM   #521
RCC Noob
I am: cambize s
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 0
Re: Dalton Extra 300 ML build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I missed all of this, and was just back to read this. I am sorry, I am partly to blame, as I asked the question to Gordon. It was my airplane that weighed 45 pounds. I can explain why. It being the first Dalton I built, and the first kit I built that was a 40% sized airplane. Having no experience in building an airplane this big, I was thinking of all the forces that could be applied to it, so it is super reinforced. For example, the cross bracing, the plans call for one on the top and one on the bottom, going in opposite directions. Well, I built mine with double cross bracing, two on top and two on bottom, this was in the shape of an X, instead of a \ or a /

I probably used more glue than most, and it just ended up being heavy, (I am using canisters and a DA 200 ML.).

It is quite cool that ML came over here to this forum to chime in!! that is way too cool!!!!

Gordon has definitely written and posted an excellent build thread, which I use as a guide. He has awesome tips.

OK, here is my update, it is still heavy, and after having been in a bit of an accident, the airplane was rebuilt, and it is still same weight as before, but now it has a different scheme.

Mine has Incidence set at zero/zero, And I do have a down line mix of about 1%.

For this whole year, I flew sportsman, and my airplane was in 8 competitions, unfortunately, on the last competition, in Sherman, Texas, on the friday of the weekend competition, while i was practicing, on the 4th flight of the day, I was coming into land her, and I was about 50 yards away from being in line with the run way, and my airplane landed in a tree.

In any event, I built a Dalton Yak, and I realized how much nicer it flew than the Extra 300, and then I discovered why, after reading Goldman's recommendations on trimming an RC airplane. Turns out, my Dalton Extra 300 ML, whole season long, i was flying it just a tad bit too nose heavy. And this was the problem I was having trying to do a spin entry (Stall), it always looked like I mushed it in, and at Clover Creek, I got like 8 zeros!!!

In any event, the new Dalton 300 ML (new in that, it has a new life, but it is still the same old one), flies real great!!! I intentionally made it just a tad bit tail heavy relative to where it was before.

one of Gordon's friends posted, several posts back, maybe my CG. But i had not read this til now. Wish I had seen this back in April!!

Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dalton 300 ml in a tree.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	783954   Click image for larger version

Name:	dalton 1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	783962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dalton side view.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	953.5 KB
ID:	783970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9608 back side view Dalton.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	586.0 KB
ID:	783978  

orthobird is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #522
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

Hi Orthobird, no need to apologize about a question! I was not offended at all with the replies to the thread that it triggered from MEL and Tony Russo. In fact I was pretty tickled that they took the time to fill me in on the reasoning behind the design. I'm thinking about building one stock to see what I'm missing (that is if Tony will sell me one LOL). Sorry to hear about the problems you had with yours. Mine has had a couple of minor dings but overall has held up really well.
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at www.jramericas.com
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #523
RCC Noob
I am: cambize s
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 0

I am building one now, that is purely stock, per plans, except, I reinforced the wings with carbon fiber. Should be interesting to see what she weighs once done.

the 1/4" square carbon fiber rods are 48" long, and they lock into the plywood of the root cap, and into the balsa of the wing phenolic support. It is glued in with West Epoxy resin, slow set, and a total of two per wing, one on top and one on bottom.

This addition to each wing adds an additional 3 ounces per wing.

I let you know how it goes. Have a good night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9481.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	783994  
orthobird is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.