The Turnigy 9XR is here. revolutionary radio! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #11
RCC Noob
I am: Rocky H

Total Props: 0
Re: The Turnigy 9XR is here. revolutionary radio!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
bcsaltchucker thanks for the great info, that clears up alot of questions I had on the 9x and 9xr. I have just ordered 2 V911's and a V912 as I have heard alot of good things about them being a good starting heli. I'm also thinking of getting the turnigy 9x or 9xr for these and maybe a V913... do you think it is worth upgrading to this radio for learning or would I be wasting my hard earned dough?

Thanks for any and all advice...
Rocksterh8 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

Not quite sure what the question is. I am not a heli flyer (other than multicopters), so can't really comment on them.

If you have a beginner radio, or even something like a DX7 or DX6i (perhaps even a DX 8 ), you may find the programming of the Er9x firmware radios is much better than the Spektrum programming. The 9XR has the excellent Er9x firmware installed, with all the advanced programming you can dream of. The 9x does not come with this firmware installed - and frankly the oem Turnigy firmware is pretty bad. But if you flash the 9x to the latest Er9x, it will be better than a 9XR, imho (I have 3 9x with Er9x, and 1 9XR).

But you have to consider what radio system you want to use with them (eg Spektrum, FrSky, or some other system), and that is a whole other discussion. Also depends how much you like or dislike the switches and pots on the cheap 9x box vs the name brand radios.

Probably helps to have a local person who is knowledgeable in all these radios, to help you set yours up ... albeit if you have some patience you can figure it all out yourself. If you have neither patience nor a local expert, then perhaps sticking with Spektrum or Futaba is a wise choice too. Where I fly, the RC flyers are easily 95% using Spektrum, and I get it, it makes sense. They have somewhat different needs than me, and only you can figure out what is best for you.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: B. McLaren
Radio of choice:
Taranis & 9XR
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0

Running two 9XRs one with Orange Spektrum module, other with FrSky.

Strongly recommend buying two of the USBAVG programmers (they are cheap and have quality issues) then dumping the original firmware. I am now running OpenTX on both units after playing with er9x for a while. Love the Flight Mode in openTX. 95% of my programming is done from my laptop. Both systems are stored with different profiles but the planes/helis are the same in each system for redundancy (just in case!)

Personally, it is cheap insurance to have a fully swappable TX at the going rates, and now that parts are available form HK this becomes a hackers dream.

If your head is into user-maintained GPL software ... go companion9X and you won't regret it. Try OpenTX or er9x and enjoy.
... Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.