Safety of using LiPo Batteries - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #21
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 10
Re: Safety of using LiPo Batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It is like any concentration of energy. Liquid fuels gasseous fuels (propane, natural gas) even solid fuels. If the energy is allowed to release in a short period of time an explosion results. In batteries like the LiPo, any damage that causes a short circuit will cause all of the energy to release. Unfortunately the cells of a LiPoare very poorly protected from damage causing a short.
Lead, follow or get out of the way!
Arceenut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
RCC Contributor
I am: joe zuccaro

Total Props: 0

well i decided to charge my 4 cell lipo for my starter box, plugged it all in pushed charged came back an hour later and saw this, thank god the fire or what ever i didnt see going on had not expanded to further damage, just a lesson i learnt, never leave a lipo unattended during charging

first time ever for me never had an issue with a lipo in my life, anything can happen at anytime
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo[1].JPG
Views:	138
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	186470  
losi 2.0 t , when they screws dont fall out haha

serpent 811 cobra
skidoos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #23
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

I always charge mine on a concrete floor well away from combustibles, and store and transport them in a metal toolbox like the one in the link.

I treat them with respect but do not fear them.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #24
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian Fisher
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 3

Here is a picture of the LiPo from the 787 DREAMLINER that recently was grounded.

Here is part of the article from today's Globe & Mail.
GS Yuasa Corp., the maker of the lithium-ion batteries used in the 787s, said Thursday it was helping with the investigation but that the cause of the problem was unclear. It said the problem could be the battery, the power source or the electronics system.

I prefer where possible to use A1213 (LiFe) battereis where possible because I have yet to read about potential dangers with this type of battery chemistry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web-dreamliner-battery.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	186471  
Brian Fisher
Parry Sound Ontario
BAMDFISHER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 11

Total Props: 4

From what I have read, the 787 Dreamliner uses Lithium Ion batteries, not LiPo as stated earlier in the thread... If you google the 787 battery I cannot find an articel that says they use LiPo... If they are having this much trouble with LiIon, imagine LiPo...
MSH Protos V2 700, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 380, T-Rex 250 Pro, Blade 180CFX, mCPX BL, nano CP S, F-16, 3DHS Edge 540, Spitfire Mk IX, 540QQ, F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 33

[QUOTE=Slats!;1306997]I have seen this debate and it is a good one but doesn't fire requite O2. I don't have mine vented. Any other opinions I would love to see.QUOTE]

While reading the article re: the Boeing issues yesterday (Edmonton Sun) the article indicated that lipo batteries create THEIR OWN oxygen when they are burning. This is what makes them so hard to extinguish once they are burning.

Something I hadn't realized before. I'm not afraid of lipos but certainly handle them with respect and never charge them unattended.

reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #27
Good Grief

Another school of thought might be storing a "cocktail" of batteries together. Wonder what the result would be if Lipos and NiMH or NiCDs got burning together?
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
bobby 13
RCC Apprentice
I am: Bob Price
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Nitro Re: Safety of using LiPo Batteries

When I am at the field I charge my lipos on the car battery which is parked away from the pit. So if something goes wrong it will be my car that takes the hit. I also store them in a safety lipo bag when travelling to the field and when I store them in my garage. I don't know what the bag is made of but it is supposed to be safe.
Most of my airplanes are nitro, not too much to go wrong.
bobby 13 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #29
RCC Contributor
I am: Slats

Total Props: 3

I thought you guys just threw that stuff in the bay hahah. Off topic but where do you fly out there.

Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
From what I experienced it's easier than I thought ,they don't explode at all they just burst into flames that flow all over like a liquid. we had a pack at the field that started puffing and the guy did not want to leave it at the field and did not want it in the back of his car on the way home(there is another question what do you do with them when there is a problem) we carefully threw a hobby knife at it to let the pressure out (was like a bad dart game took about a full hr of missed shots LOL). when hit it burst into flames in about 1 second and could not be put out I guess it must produce it's own oxygen anyway if this were to happen in your basement .( it is possible to slip with a hobby knife) ,you would be in big trouble ,it's not like you could carry it by the wire and throw it out side ,it would be like holding a punctured bag of burning gasoline dripping flames all over. anyway the Idea is not to scare people into not using them ,just to understand what can happen whether you are are careful or not .you decide what to do with them yourself.
Slats! is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #30
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Gord C

Total Props: 7

I hope they show the results of why they caught fire. They don't just ignite for no reason. Short in wiring, wrong charging method, over amped, etc. There's a reason for it. I'm sure many of you, the same as I, have plenty of power tools with li-ion batts and don't have a problem. Heck, I've converted many of my power tools with nicads/nimh to li-ion with no problems. I have had them go off on me but for a reason, my negligence. Many lessons learned. They require a lot of respect, but if it's given they will treat you right. Just converted my electric chainsaw from nimh to li-ion. Much more power and endurance.
Tried for my kamikazi pilots licence. Flunked the test.
MAAC 5276
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.