MAAC I heard something screwy - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 13
MAAC I heard something screwy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The president of MAAC does not have a vote on all proposals that is brought to the board of directors. Now the one that just quit is now the past president he now has a vote. Does this picture seem screwy???

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14
Re: MAAC I heard something screwy

Very much so. He now has a vote in the 4-man Executive, in which Claude Melboune can only vote to break a tie ... which can never be a situation between three others. Therefore Mr. Dodds has far more power, given a like-minded supporter, than he had as President.

To my mind he should not BE Past President. He walked away from the Presidency before completing his term of office; having quit ... then he QUIT and should not be elegible for either the PP position or the life membership award given to a properly retiring Prez.

Just my 2 cents .....
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Dave Larkin
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David L

Total Props: 7

The MAAC VP, Claude Melbourne, moves up to President leaving the VP position vacant (unless he decides to stay as acting President). The Board can either promote an Executive member to VP, and elect a replacement, or it can elect a new VP. In any case it will all be settled at the AGM in Saskatoon in April. If Claude does not get elected as President, or decides not to run, then there will be a new President and Claude will bump Ron from the Past President position.

In any case I strongly believe that MAAC should go back to one year terms for officials. Sure a two year term saves a bit of a hassle if you have a good incumbent, but if this isn't the case there is serious difficulty in getting rid of a trouble-maker.

I also agree that a resigning President should not serve as Past President. It has happened before and the guy hung around like Banquo's ghost for years. Unfortunately we did not learn from the experience.

Dave Larkin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
RCC Noob
I am: Bob K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

Never my intention to be rude I assure you but it would be worthwhile reading the MAAC by-laws and Policy Manual. First of all, the President does not have a vote on the Board of Directors because he is not a director, he serves as the CEO of MAAC which is an exofficio position. Secondly, if you look closely you will find nothing in the by-laws or policy manual that restricts the President from voting at Executive Committee meetings; the restriction is for the meetings of the Board only. This misconception has been going on for years. Again, please read the by-laws if you are going to quote from them.

With respect to the current executive positions. Mr. Melbourne remains the vice-president, he does not move up to the postion of President unless he is appointed by the board. As vice-president he fulfills the duties of the president only.

Captbob is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Jim M

Total Props: 14

Bob, I believe that you are quite correct in that the President has an Executive vote but to the best of my knowledge (and I would be happy to be corrected) historically Presidents have refrained from using such.

I still have a strong personal conviction that a President who walks away from the position midterm should not have a right to become Past President. Indeed, having said that he cannot work with the other MAAC officers then I have to wonder why he is apparently eager to remain associated with same.
Applehoney is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: MJ
Radio of choice:
Jeti DC-16 Duplex
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4

Politics in toy airplanes.......gotta love it. A democratic race to the bottom....sheesh!!

Don't get me wrong, I believe in the concept of MAAC 100% but this politiking is so very detrimental to the organisation. Let's get back on track and look forward to the future. Can we just drop the games? I still think an independant audit is in order after all the chaos, fix it then move on to more important bringing BLOS FPV for machines under 3kg!
MAAC 25015
Never left one up there yet.......

Last edited by mjohnson; 01-22-2013 at 01:49 AM.
mjohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.